• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fantastic Four Movie

1,078 posts in this topic

I hate to sound like a broken record, but kids love this movie.

Who cares?

I am NOT 10 years old and I have no illusions that kids watching the FF movie will somehow cause them to drop $300K on a FF #1 when the grow up....

Spider-man and X-men movie managed to be entertaining to many different ages, so why does the FF movie have to be some childish, low-brow schlock aimed at the 8-12 year old demographic?

I don't disagree confused-smiley-013.gif FF had lots of problems.

But the internet DOES seem to refect more of a pessimisic attitude.

Lets face it a lot of people log on just to whine, bitc h and pick fights.

Ever seen Yahoo chat foreheadslap.gif

Who cares?

I am NOT 10 years old and I have no illusions that kids watching the FF movie will somehow cause them to drop $300K on a FF #1 when the grow up....

Spider-man and X-men movie managed to be entertaining to many different ages, so why does the FF movie have to be some childish, low-brow schlock aimed at the 8-12 year old demographic?

JC, I don't expect a 10-year-old to see FF and grow up to drop 300K on an FF #1 either, but if it causes him to drop $3 on the current issue, I think that would be pretty cool.

Who cares?

It's true that they might not drop the $$$ for an FF # 1 or expensive back issues someday, but it might turn them on the buying trades or the current JMS/McKone run. Who cares? I do, because that's good for the hobby.

Sure it would be great if it had more appeal to a broader audience, but I would actually say "who cares" (respectfully) to adults such as yourself and goldust who didn't like the movie.

I would actually say "who cares" (respectfully) to adults such as yourself and goldust who didn't like the movie.

If you were 10, I'd understand the sentiment.

So let me get this straight. Many of you are prepared to vocally support terrible movies, simply because they appeal to sugar-addled 10 year olds, and this somehow equates to "good for the hobby"? screwy.gif

I just want to see good comic book movies like Spider-man or X2, which I believe, promote the hobby far better than low-brow krap like FF.

Who cares?

It's true that they might not drop the $$$ for an FF # 1 or expensive back issues someday, but it might turn them on the buying trades or the current JMS/McKone run. Who cares? I do, because that's good for the hobby.

Sure it would be great if it had more appeal to a broader audience, but I would actually say "who cares" (respectfully) to adults such as yourself and goldust who didn't like the movie.

I care. A lot.

I agree that if it gets kids reading comics (FF or otherwise) then job done.

I just wouldn't want all super-hero films to be on that level, that's all. Not that I've been that impressed with any of them yet........

So let me get this straight. Many of you are prepared to vocally support terrible movies, simply because they appeal to sugar-addled 10 year olds, and this somehow equates to "good for the hobby"? screwy.gif

I gladly support this film and recommend it to people. "Terrible" is an opinion. Seeing dozens of people enjoy it at the theater and it's solid box office performance is a fact.

It doesn't matter whether YOU or I liked the movie. If someone else sees it, likes it, and buys a comic, how can that possibly be bad? screwy.gif

the marketing department at whatever studio/distro house that's responsible for The Island deserve to be fired.

as far as FF goes, i'm wondering what some of you might have said around the time Star Wars came out. sure the FX were quite nice, but the dialogue was poopy and the story obviously thw product of a recentl post-juvenile mind

I would actually say "who cares" (respectfully) to adults such as yourself and goldust who didn't like the movie.

If you were 10, I'd understand the sentiment.

I just want to see good comic book movies like Spider-man or X2, which I believe, promote the hobby far better than low-brow krap.

People can have their opinions and we don't need or want people like you who are trashing us. Do you think that your opinion is going to change ours? If not, then why do you go on on on on and on? If you do, take a little hit: people's opinions won't change when you criticize them personally.

I understand you thought the movie sucked. There, I said it. It didn't take me 10 pages to say it.

Sometimes, it frustrates me that this isn't a "discussion" board, but a b itching board.

The point I think FD was trying to make is that FF is such a huge hit with kids and it could translate to a healthier comic market. Ya know, kids ARE the future buyers of comics. If we don't start getting kids interested in comics soon, then the crash that you have predicted ever since you came on this board may happen.

FD is NOT commenting on what he thought of the movie.

I gladly support this film and recommend it to people. "Terrible" is an opinion. Seeing dozens of people enjoy it at the theater and it's solid box office performance is a fact.

It doesn't matter whether YOU or I liked the movie. If someone else sees it, likes it, and buys a comic, how can that possibly be bad? screwy.gif

I didn't think it was terrible. I thought it was fun. It wasn't Hamlet, but it was fun. Much more fun than Batman Begins. Was it a good, deep, movie? Probably not, but it was an enjoyable way to spend two hours, and that apparently is the way lots of other people are thinking as well.

I'm very amused when people say this movie is a box office bomb. What do we think the final box office take will be? Somewhere around $160-175M? I think that's a pretty successful film, as then you have to add in all the other revenue. I'd be surprised if the overall worldwide number isn't in the $220-250M range (including the DVD releases). Given that the vast majority of advertising for the film now is co-op advertising, there's very little outlay of cash anymore.

I don't disagree confused-smiley-013.gif FF had lots of problems.

But the internet DOES seem to refect more of a pessimisic attitude.

Lets face it a lot of people log on just to whine, bitc h and pick fights.

Ever seen Yahoo chat foreheadslap.gif

It's true I've slated the movie, although my attitude is far from pessimistic. My only concern is that we've yet to see a challenging super-hero based film that transcends the comics medium, and the FF film was a step in the wrong direction.

But it's a moot point, and maybe the sequel will be better....... tongue.gif

I was reading Ebert's Q&A column, and came across this incredible answer to a FF fanboy, which pretty well sums up why many geeks identify with even terrible comic book movies (like FF) to the point of obsession:

Ebert:

'What I learned while reading dozens of messages is that comics fans have made enormous psychic investments in their favorite characters, and follow their origins, adventures, opponents and character changes with an attention bordering on obsession. I saw a bad movie. Many of them saw a movie whose goodness or badness was secondary, since whatever happened on the screen was linked in their imaginations with an extensive pre-history."

Like or dislike the man, that is one powerful quote.

And you do realize, of course, that Roger Ebert was one of the BIGGEST fanboys out there in the early 60s, so perhaps, JUST perhaps, he's annoyed that HIS vision of what Fantastic Four is wasn't made into the film.

The number of reviewers who LIKED Fantastic Four is probably equal to the number of reviewers who disliked Fantastic Four.

I saw FF yesterday and I liked it. More than Batman Begins actually. It was entertaining, not great, but certainly worth the price of admission. I was expecting to go in and see a lame Thing. I was surprised to see that he and the Torch were my two favorite characters. I was disappointed in the other three. Reed just didn't talk or act or come across as any kind of really intelligent guy. He was not believable at all as Mr. Smarts and I was also not impressed by his stretching other than when he tied up Ben. Invisible Girl just did not look the part. I guess I am too biased by her look in the comics. Dr. Doom was poorly acted and portrayed. BUT, I wanted to see more of Ben and Johnny both of whom I thought looked great. Story was, well.... confused-smiley-013.gif but I wasn't looking for a great story anyway, I knew it wouldn't be.

I brought the lil' wife with me which is a rarety for a comic-movie. She actually liked it more than I excpected. BUT, her biggest problem with it was the cliche' romance. She felt as if the Reed/Sue thing was too obvious and unnecesary, just like every other movie. We knew what to expect, but for a newbie the "romance" didn't work. Oh, and after getting home I offered my wife a few FF comics to look at expecting a "No Thanks!" But she said yes, and pulled them (just 90s books) out of the bags and started looking through them. She even commented that the movie did a good job portraying them.

Anyway, for what I was expecting, I'd give it a thumbsup2.gif and give it three out of five stars.

The number of reviewers who LIKED Fantastic Four is probably equal to the number of reviewers who disliked Fantastic Four.

You're joking, right?

The Fantastic Four movie was probably the WORST reviewed big budget movie of 2005, and many of the comments were downright evil. Even the few positive reviews were riddled with backhanded compliments like "sure it's a stupid movie, but...".

I thought everyone realized this, and there were even some threads devoted to the horrific reviews. confused-smiley-013.gif

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/fantastic_four/

It's true I've slated the movie, although my attitude is far from pessimistic. My only concern is that we've yet to see a challenging super-hero based film that transcends the comics medium,

GD - how can you say you're not pessismistic when you say in your next sentence that you haven't seen a film that transcends the medium?

BTW, What do you mean by this?

You're joking, right?

The Fantastic Four movie was probably the WORST reviewed big budget movie of 2005, and many of the comments were downright evil. Even the few positive reviews were riddled with backhanded compliments like "sure it's a stupid movie, but...".

I thought everyone realized this, and there were even some threads devoted to the horrific reviews. confused-smiley-013.gif

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/fantastic_four/

JC is right...it was poorly reviewed. And yet, its still doing very well in it's third week at the Box office, despite the less-than-warm critical reception.