• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fantastic Four Movie

1,078 posts in this topic

I really don't give a rat's butt what anyone thinks of the movie itself.

I thought it sucked the sweat off a dead chimp's balls ... you loved it. Who cares?

What does bother me is the apologists and biased people on here, who state that I should like the movie because some 10-year old knothead does, and that's good for the hobby. Or that the movie made $100 million.. or beat The Island... or...

Sorry buck, I go to the theatre to watch good movies, not to sell my comics to kids or watch a BO ticker.

You know, I really don't get all this animosity toward the movie and the people who have come out and said they liked it. Its a fluffy, summer popcorn movie that doesn't take itself too seriously and manages to entertain most people. It'll do well enough at the box office and DVD to justify a sequel or two, and hopefully appeal to a new generation.

Does every comic book movie have to break new ground, have a deep involved plot and cater to a sophisticated audience in order for it to be respected?

I harbor as much animosity towards the FF movie as I do for a crappy movie like "Battlefield Earth," which is none. I never said a comic book movie had to "break new ground, have a deep involved plot and cater to a sophisticated audience," but at the same time, if I think the movie stunk, I'm going to voice my opinion.

What cracks me up is the apologists for this movie who keep trying to argue the movie didn't stink by saying "look! the movie generated over $100 million, therefore you're wrong! it was good!" or "oh the critics don't know jack! This movie has made over $100 million!"

The Matrix Reloaded grossed almost $300 million domestically. Is anyone going to argue that movie was any good?

I'm suppose to take into account whether a movie is good or not by how many possible new FF/comic book fans may enter the hobby because of this movie? I don't think so.

If someone wants to argue the movie was actually good because of the plot, story or the acting, feel free to debate those points, but I've heard too many times that this movie must be good because it hasn't lost money.

Most of the people on this thread didn't praise this as one of the all time greats, just as a fun summer movie, kinda like those old B sci-fi films from the fifties that were short on artistic merit but heavy on entertainment value.

Most of the people on this thread didn't praise this as one of the all time greats, just as a fun summer movie, kinda like those old B sci-fi films from the fifties that were short on artistic merit but heavy on entertainment value.

So now the big money event flick that represents the medium we all cherish is the equivalent of a dated, schlocky B feature made on a shoestring budget, eh?? tongue.gifwink.gifsmirk.gif

So now the big money event flick that represents the medium we all cherish is the equivalent of a dated, schlocky B feature made on a shoestring budget, eh?? tongue.gifwink.gifsmirk.gif

frustrated.gif

flowerred.gif

Maybe they'll exhume Ed Wood to direct the sequel? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I didn't mean fifties science fiction that was that bad! I was talking more about something like IT! THE TERROR FROM BEYOND SPACE, or EARTH VS. THE FLYING SAUCERS.

Maybe they'll exhume Ed Wood to direct the sequel? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I didn't mean fifties science fiction that was that bad! I was talking more about something like IT! THE TERROR FROM BEYOND SPACE, or EARTH VS. THE FLYING SAUCERS.

I've always got time to watch Forbidden Planet, The Day The Earth Stood Still etc. again, but I wouldn't call those B movies - especially the former. Haven't seen the two you mention - I'll give 'em a shot.......

The flicks you mention are definitely "A" list productions, a major cut over the movies I mentioned. Though EARTH VS. does have f/x by Ray Harryhausen.

They're bringing it up to counter arguments that FF has lost money.

Come on, you really can't believe the movie has made money at this point, can you? It obviously has not (but easily will on DVD), so what's the reason you're posting BO numbers again...?

I haven't done any research like some other forumites here have regarding budget vs. grosses or anything like that. So I can't say if it's made money at this point or not (though there's still apparently disagreement over wheather it has or not.)

I'm just pointing out that people aren't bring up the profits of the FF movie to argue that it's a *good* movie.

Sorry....since I can't pull up any of the previous threads on this subject... confused.gif

I watched the movie for the first time tonight and thought it was great. As a life long FF fan it captured the mood of the team very well. Sure you could argue come of the changes, Doom being the most obvious, but overall it was a good movie...

My rank of comic movies? Not as good as the outstanding X-Men and Spider-Man movies but just below the two...

This movie has been unfairly savaged on this Forum and I'll eat crow in joining on how awful the film would do...

I quite enjoyed it... grin.gif

Jim

Sorry....since I can't pull up any of the previous threads on this subject... confused.gif

I watched the movie for the first time tonight and thought it was great. As a life long FF fan it captured the mood of the team very well. Sure you could argue come of the changes, Doom being the most obvious, but overall it was a good movie...

My rank of comic movies? Not as good as the outstanding X-Men and Spider-Man movies but just below the two...

This movie has been unfairly savaged on this Forum and I'll eat crow in joining on how awful the film would do...

Jim

You have earned the eternal apathy of JC and the FF Movie wreckin' crew...

..but welcome to the group of mindless fanboys who actually thought the movie was entertaining and funny.

thumbsup2.gif

JC can...

Well, never mind. I had fun watching the FF movie and that's all I expected from it so my expectations were met. I liked it. If I want great cinema, I'll watch Citizen Kane.

Jim

You have earned the eternal apathy of JC and the FF Movie wreckin' crew...

..but welcome to the group of mindless fanboys who actually thought the movie was entertaining and funny.

thumbsup2.gif

Geez, this is the second time in about a week that i find myself in agreement with Jim..... grin.gif.....as i've said before, i thoroughly enjoyed it as did my 15 year old daughter........ thumbsup2.gif

JC can...

Well, never mind. I had fun watching the FF movie and that's all I expected from it so my expectations were met. I liked it. If I want great cinema, I'll watch Citizen Kane.

Can't agree more....the movie did what it was supposed to. It was entertaining.

I got the movie as a X-mas present, and honestly, it does show a few more warts the second time around (the scene with Ben Grimm's wife leaving her ring on the ground while onlookers applauded the FF's heroism was pretty bad). But it was still a fun little diversion overall.

What surprised me was learning in the DVD Commentary that Tim Story was actually a big FF fan. At least he got the character interaction right for the most part. Now, if they can make the second movie a little less goofy.... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif