• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Investment Potential in the Copper Age

191 posts in this topic

I've seen this in the dollar bins not to long ago, I'd recommend picking it up before the in development T.V. series is finally announced.

19738-2870-22024-1-spectacular-spider-m_large.jpg

not really common dollar box stock...might get in as a dealer oversight or a mid-grade copy, but yes, if it's there, that's a good price

I've bought multiple copies of Hulk 340 and NYX 3 out of dollar boxes, but I don't think of them as dollar box books (true, on the Hulk every time I did the dealer took a second look and said something along the lines of "that shouldn't have been in there, but I'll let you have it because you're buying so much other stuff"

First Bishop Uncanny X-men #282

A pretty cool character, just as cool as Cable or Gambit and look at what their first appearances go for.

282-1.jpg

Bishop is trapped in some alternative universe somewhere. Cable is much bigger in the X-ethos and Gambit is a Cajun and we all love cajuns.

The sheer # of 282s out there holds things down..it came out right when those early 90's print-runs were hitting obscene levels (not that 266 didn't have a big one).

Not that I don't buy 282 when I see a nice copy in the $1 or less box. I'm a bit more hesitant about 283 though.

For fun I buy X-Force 1s in nice shape with the polybag and the Deadpool card. I figure there are only what, 900K with the Deadpool card?

And also #2s (2d app of Deadpool), but they need to be pristine. There are so many out there.

Is there a consensus on the boards of when the Coper Age actually runs. You can look on 10 different websites and get 10 different answers. I know what Senor Overstreet says (Spiderman 1 (8/90) is still Copper while New Mutants 98 (2/91) is modern) but I know a ton of people who dont agree.

Is there a consensus on the boards of when the Coper Age actually runs. You can look on 10 different websites and get 10 different answers. I know what Senor Overstreet says (Spiderman 1 (8/90) is still Copper while New Mutants 98 (2/91) is modern) but I know a ton of people who dont agree.

I think there are at least 3 threads that debate that right here.

A pretty cool character, just as cool as Cable or Gambit and look at what their first appearances go for.

Uncanny-X-Men-282.jpg

Oh, yes, please start hoarding this one :wishluck:

You never know - once you've gathered up the first 450,000 copies and put them to the fire, the remaining 10,000 copies might actually be worth something :thumbsup:

For fun I buy X-Force 1s in nice shape with the polybag and the Deadpool card. I figure there are only what, 900K with the Deadpool card?

And also #2s (2d app of Deadpool), but they need to be pristine. There are so many out there.

I have 6 copies of #1 and 3 copies of #2 :whee:

I have #1 for sale on the Copper/Modern Age sales thread :gossip:

Uncanny-X-Men-282.jpg

You never know - once you've gathered up the first 450,000 copies and put them to the fire, the remaining 10,000 copies might actually be worth something :thumbsup:

you honestly think there are only 460,000 copies out there?

the problem with some many of these popular books is that Mile High may very well have 40,000 copies and some other dealers with similar stockpiles. as of right now they're easily available on the interweb for $2-$4 from these sources. it would take quite a run on these issues to get the prices to change.

then again, there's always 266 and NM 98 (though NM 98 likely had a vastly smaller print-run than 282 even if Liefield was very popular and had been on NM for a year by then, so I think the circulation was way up from sub-100K like when he took over)

282 would probably be a good issue to stick up on the wall for $5-$8 if you own a comic shop and Bishop makes a comeback, but with sooooo many copies on the interweb, I dunno if it's a good ebay/internet investment, even out of the dollar box.

Uncanny-X-Men-282.jpg

the problem with some many of these popular books is that Mile High may very well have 40,000 copies and some other dealers with similar stockpiles. as of right now they're easily available on the interweb for $2-$4 from these sources. it would take quite a run on these issues to get the prices to change.

then again, there's always 266 and NM 98 (though NM 98 likely had a vastly smaller print-run than 282 even if Liefield was very popular and had been on NM for a year by then, so I think the circulation was way up from sub-100K like when he took over)

282 would probably be a good issue to stick up on the wall for $5-$8 if you own a comic shop and Bishop makes a comeback, but with sooooo many copies on the interweb, I dunno if it's a good ebay/internet investment, even out of the dollar box.

Still time is the mighty force of attrition here. I highly doubt MH has anything near 40k worht of copies, but even 2k would be 2k to many to affect a movement in the price.

I think the book is a great key book, but you need another 15 years of neglect to whittle it down in the population stakes.

Uncanny-X-Men-282.jpg

Both the #282 and the #283 have circulation statements of 460,000 - most of which, I'm sure, still exist in pristine bagged & boarded (or sealed in cases) form somewhere.

Like you say yourself, even if Bishop suddenly became relevant (which I personally doubt he will), the flood gates would immediately burst open with 10,000 high grade copies. From an investment perspective, this book is a certified dud.

Uncanny-X-Men-282.jpg

Both the #282 and the #283 have circulation statements of 460,000 - most of which, I'm sure, still exist in pristine bagged & boarded (or sealed in cases) form somewhere.

Like you say yourself, even if Bishop suddenly became relevant (which I personally doubt he will), the flood gates would immediately burst open with 10,000 high grade copies. From an investment perspective, this book is a certified dud.

While I agree it's a dud, it is from that time period when Marvels paper or ink was creating a waviness problem in certain books. I've seen it on a large number of this book, which could drop the number of high grade books (although if it was worth anything, pressing could probably take care of that).

282-1.jpg

Bishop is trapped in some alternative universe somewhere. Cable is much bigger in the X-ethos and Gambit is a Cajun and we all love cajuns.

The sheer # of 282s out there holds things down..it came out right when those early 90's print-runs were hitting obscene levels (not that 266 didn't have a big one).

Not that I don't buy 282 when I see a nice copy in the $1 or less box. I'm a bit more hesitant about 283 though.

Unopened 200CT cases are still easily available.

Uncanny-X-Men-282.jpg

While I agree it's a dud, it is from that time period when Marvels paper or ink was creating a waviness problem in certain books. I've seen it on a large number of this book, which could drop the number of high grade books (although if it was worth anything, pressing could probably take care of that).

The perspective I look at is it will not take much for it to double in price raw. An example let`s says its a dollar book right now in near mint, if and a big if Bishop every shows up in a X-men movie or gets his own movie(highly unlikely) then I could see this doubling to $2, so if you have $500 worth of copies of this and wait(might be a long wait) you may double your money. now before we all laugh and giggle. lol

$500 worth of Bishop that could double in 5 years might be a better investment maybe then just letting your $500 dollars sit in a savings account for five years. :whistle:

Maybe we should look outside of MARVEL Comics for Copper Investments. (shrug)

Definitely!

How about Judge Dredd #1's from Eagle Comics. I hear those are great to track down.

Anyone? Anyone?

:whistle: