• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

POLL: Who's the STRONGEST hero? Thor, Hulk or Superman?

Who is the STRONGEST hero?  

2 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the STRONGEST hero?

183 posts in this topic

Superman.

Like someone said earlier he was the gold standard when it came to raw strength.

As much I love the Marvel universe, Supes is tops when it comes to strength.

Ya, I can't see why there is even a discussion.

If there is no kryptonite then Superman is completely indestructable.

Plus Superman is MUCH smarter and FASTER (think Flash) and can avoid any I blow the Hulk might try to lay on him.

What if he just carries him into space?

Doesn't Hulk need air?

Hulk can hold his breath for a long time but not indefinitely.

This is just a discussion on strength though.

Hulk is human. Supes isn't. It's really that simple.

Thor is a God. End of discussion. Roy, when someone asks you if you're a god, you say "YES"!

If we're talking 1964, Thor has had trouble taking down the Hulk.

If we're talking today, well, continuity and powers have changed so many times, I don't even know anymore.

It all comes down to who's writing the characters/books. Each of these three were strengthened and weakened throughout the decades.

I like to remember Thor as he was written by Stan Lee and Roy Thomas before he got weakened by other writers (with a few exceptions) either within his own series or in crossovers.

As for those DC/Marvel crossovers, I don't put any stock in them because DC would never agree to them if it meant having their trademark character (Supes) defeated. So they're pointless IMO. Neither Thor nor Hulk, however, are Marvel's trademark character (it's Spidey), so that makes them expendible, especially Thor since he's much less known to the general public than Supes or Hulk.

I know we're talking about raw strength only on this thread, not total power, but I still stand by the God of Thunder, plus considering the "Warrior's Madness" factor I mentioned earlier on. :sumo:

...can't believe I'm doing this...

I think most of the posts I'm reading are reflecting a Silver Age, juggle-planets-around Superman. I'm not a big DC guy, but I don't think he's that powerful anymore.

This cannot be based on being "knocked out", as it is a straightforward discussion of strength only. A weaker opponent can knock out a stronger opponent if he catches him right, it's just Hulk's healing factor and Supe's "invulnerability" that keep them standing. If those factors are removed for the purposes of this poll, then The Thing could easily knock any of them out.

Previous fights (ie Avengers/JLA) are match-ups of the total package of powers, not just strength. Thor and Superman occasionally choose to limit themselves to just their strength out of a sense of sportsmanship. Thor does this with The Hulk from time to time.

That said, this question goes back to my Theory of Superhero Speciality. It states that the more focused a character's specialty, the more said character can excell in it. In a nutshell, Hawkeye gets to be the best archer, even though it makes more sense for that to be Bullseye, because that's all he has going. Aquaman gets to be the fastest swimmer, not The Flash. Reed Richards gets to be the smartest, not his god-damned, shouldn't-have-ever-happened fake daughter (there is a tenure component to the theory, but its too complicated to get into here).

So basically, Hulk is the strongest one there is. Let him have it, it's what makes him interesting. It doesn't mean your horse can't take him in a fight.

Edited by KirbyJack

Pure physical strength, modern interpretation, Hulk is strongest. WW Hulk.

Silver age, of course it was Supes, there was no upper limit as he was pushing planets out of the way of giant meteors.

Current age: Hulk only when he's super SUPER mad by a hair.

Pre-Crisis: No contest, Superman would punch him into the sun or punch him into next week or something.

Thor, this guy is a joke compared to these two.

:gossip:

Edit: In the current DC post crisis universe Superboy prime has the strength on the same level superman did during pre-crisis. So I guess Superboy prime could beat him.

Although the true extent of Superboy primes powers are now questionable since he's back on earth prime. doh!

Edited by Rip

superman!

703af9a5ce7d396f_large.jpg

Exactly. Hulk was as mad as a hornet by this time in the fight, and couldn't budge Superman. If Supes wanted he could have squashed Hulk like a little green bug

Hulk's the only one with limitless strength. Being that it's limitless there's no one that could be stronger.

Superman, beaten to a pulp and "killed" by a scrub named Doomsday.

Thor, knocked out and out strength-ed more times than anyone can count.

When only one has a maximum strength that's not measurable, it's an easy choice.

Doomsday was not a scrub... He was a genetically engineered Kryptonian.

But that would be an interesting fight... Doomsday VS hulk

Hulk's strength is not limitless. The limit has simply never been seen yet. The fact that he is powered by gamma radiation and a human body would indicate that his power has limits. At some point, his heart would simply explode.

I am with whoever said that it is really hard to determine which hero in which incarnation is the strongest.

The Silver Age Superman/Superboy had power probably beyond measure. When I see anyone else who is able to move the earth, then I would annoint them as most powerful.

In a fight, Superman has the most powers, the greatest invulnerability, and the greatest strength. Whether that could be defeated by the Hulks savagery, I doubt. And I think todays Thor and Superman would be pretty well matched. Thors greatest weapon could also be wielded by Superman (as seen in JLA/Avengers). And if Superman could pick it up, and simply throw it into space, Thor would be defeated.

Shazam has knocked out Superman in the JLA comic, in there it's said he was one of the few who could do it.......but he cought him with a sucker punch 2-3 times before Supes went down

After the first one lands, every other one ceases to be a sucker-punch.

The madder Hulk gets, the stronger Hulk gets...

What happens when Superman knocks him out before he gets mad?

It just so happens there's a solar eclipse and Superman's powers falter and the Hulk knocks him out cold.

Hulk's strength is not limitless. The limit has simply never been seen yet. The fact that he is powered by gamma radiation and a human body would indicate that his power has limits. At some point, his heart would simply explode.

Human bodies shouldn't be able to lift mountains either, but in Hulk form it's easy peasy.

There's never been a limit shown to Hulk's strength, ever. Based on all available data, history and precedent there's no basis for saying there's a limit.

For further corroboration:

"During times of high stress or anger, an increase in adrenaline causes the Hulk's strength to increase dramatically. There has never been a limit shown as to the highest strength the Hulk can reach thus it is assumed it is limitless. The Hulk has shown many incredible feats of the years, including holding up a 150 billion ton mountain during the Secret Wars and breaking open Onslaught's armor when the combined might of the rest of the world's heroes couldn't even make a scratch in it."

The Hulk possesses the potential for limitless physical strength depending directly on his emotional state, particularly his anger. (From Hulk 109-111) This has been reflected in the repeated comment, "The madder Hulk gets, the stronger Hulk gets." After probing, the entity Beyonder once claimed that the Hulk's potential strength had "no finite element inside." (Secret Wars #8) His durability, regeneration, and endurance also increase in proportion to his temper.(Hulk #394)

So the Beyonder, who'd be able to tell, says his power and strength have no limits.

That last part refutes the "Heart will just explode" hypothesis. As he grows in strength so does his entire physical structure to allow for the additional strength.

This from Marvel Universe Online:

His capacity for physical strength is potentially limitless due to the fact that the Hulk's strength increases proportionally with his level of great emotional stress, anger in particular.

No limit has ever been found. Limitless at this point. Without proof the contrary all proof points to no limit.

From The Hulk Library Online:

The Hulk has not yet found an endpoint to his maximum strength, so its upper limit remains a mystery. While described as Class 100 strength, the Hulk has at times proven capable of exceeding this parameter several times over; following exposure to the warp core breach on planet Sakaar, his baseline strength is even higher.

Given that class 100 is ability to lift 100 tons, and the Hulk's lifted 150 BILLION tons at times...off the charts is a logical area to rate his strength.

Given all the evidence the Hulk is the only one with unlimited strength of the group...Superman making the 'passing a kidney stone" face BA cover excepted. lol

It's not who wins in a fight...read the title again.

If there was a thread about who could expend the most intellectual energy on a topic not worth a goat fart, you would win hands down.

If there was a thread about who could expend the most intellectual energy on a topic not worth a goat fart, you would win hands down.

That would be funny, however it's no effort at all. The inconsequence of the exercise is palpable.

These are but fleeting rivulets of inspiration cascading off of my pensive yet robust cerebrum.

Should you find yourself present when my intellectual energy was truly in play you would know it, and feel it in your loins.

My standard response when asked "If superhero X and superhero Y were in a fight, who would win?" is to figure out which one has the greatest marketing/revenue generating power at the moment and that's the winner. Based on this formula, I think Thor is the winner.

Should you find yourself present when my intellectual energy was truly in play you would know it, and feel it in your loins.

So, are you saying he'd orgasm?

I try not to judge.

So, are you saying he'd orgasm?

I try not to judge.

I think there is something wrong with your medulla oblongata.

Human bodies shouldn't be able to lift mountains either, but in Hulk form it's easy peasy.

There's never been a limit shown to Hulk's strength, ever. Based on all available data, history and precedent there's no basis for saying there's a limit.

For further corroboration:

"During times of high stress or anger, an increase in adrenaline causes the Hulk's strength to increase dramatically. There has never been a limit shown as to the highest strength the Hulk can reach thus it is assumed it is limitless. The Hulk has shown many incredible feats of the years, including holding up a 150 billion ton mountain during the Secret Wars and breaking open Onslaught's armor when the combined might of the rest of the world's heroes couldn't even make a scratch in it."

The Hulk possesses the potential for limitless physical strength depending directly on his emotional state, particularly his anger. (From Hulk 109-111) This has been reflected in the repeated comment, "The madder Hulk gets, the stronger Hulk gets." After probing, the entity Beyonder once claimed that the Hulk's potential strength had "no finite element inside." (Secret Wars #8) His durability, regeneration, and endurance also increase in proportion to his temper.(Hulk #394)

So the Beyonder, who'd be able to tell, says his power and strength have no limits.

That last part refutes the "Heart will just explode" hypothesis. As he grows in strength so does his entire physical structure to allow for the additional strength.

This from Marvel Universe Online:

His capacity for physical strength is potentially limitless due to the fact that the Hulk's strength increases proportionally with his level of great emotional stress, anger in particular.

No limit has ever been found. Limitless at this point. Without proof the contrary all proof points to no limit.

From The Hulk Library Online:

The Hulk has not yet found an endpoint to his maximum strength, so its upper limit remains a mystery. While described as Class 100 strength, the Hulk has at times proven capable of exceeding this parameter several times over; following exposure to the warp core breach on planet Sakaar, his baseline strength is even higher.

Given that class 100 is ability to lift 100 tons, and the Hulk's lifted 150 BILLION tons at times...off the charts is a logical area to rate his strength.

Given all the evidence the Hulk is the only one with unlimited strength of the group...Superman making the 'passing a kidney stone" face BA cover excepted. lol

While i agree with you that Hulk is strongest, the Hulk did NOT "lift" a 150 billion ton mountain. That was my all time favorite comic book as a kid and i must have read it 1,000 times. I distinctly remember one of the heroes asking how he was holding up the mountain and Hulk said something back like "I'm not holding it, just bracing it with some leverage".

Still impressive though. Take that Supes! (thumbs u