• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mark Jewelers inserts...
19 19

1,044 posts in this topic

On 12/26/2022 at 4:24 AM, Spawnfreak said:

Hi, Mon Capitaine, Q here. I see that 255 was not newsstand. Does that mean I have to re-check my early DCs? This is my mark jewelers double cover. We've talked before. Sorry no pic, computer malfunction.

World's Finest Comics 306 001.jpg

Superman 255 (and all issues up until Superman 252) were only produced in "newsstand" format.   Superman 352 was the first Direct Sales issue of the Superman run.  I've never seen a jeweler insert in a Direct Sales version (except for the example that I believe was shown earlier in this thred.... if a Direct Sales issue has a jeweler insert, I beleive that it would have to be a printing error).  I hope that answers your question @Spawnfreak.  If not, please send me a private message.

On 11/28/2022 at 8:54 AM, Get Marwood & I said:

Living things aside, is there anything better in the world than a gleamingly bright, high grade Ross Andru Spidey Mark Jewelers Insert copy?

406974867_AmazingSpider-Man141MJI.thumb.jpg.2625c76985aa68ff48977a94139c55e6.jpg

1365455888_AmazingSpider-Man141MJIi.thumb.jpg.e9fe0be7204c1c3fe196aec7fa4bd9cd.jpg

I say thee nay!

:cloud9:

I say thee yay--the same book *without* the Mark Jewelers insert.

I think this is some kind of declaration of war on my part. Seriously...what is the mystique around these Mark Jewelers books? Why does anyone care? Why do they command a higher price?

Edited by Mark Warren

On 12/27/2022 at 10:11 AM, Mark Warren said:

I say thee yay--the same book *without* the Mark Jewelers insert.

I think this is some kind of declaration of war on my part. Seriously...what is the mystique around these Mark Jewelers books? Why does anyone care? Why do they command a higher price?

Is your question rhetorical?  I only ask because it’s posted on the 41st page of the VERY THREAD that answers all your questions. 

On 12/27/2022 at 10:25 AM, ThothAmon said:

Is your question rhetorical?  I only ask because it’s posted on the 41st page of the VERY THREAD that answers all your questions. 

I have actually perused the thread. You can't argue with nostalgia, though I can certainly argue against it with my wallet. But if we're going to start adding extra value to certain books based on their ad content, it seems strange to me that this is the first ad the hobby decided to do it with.

Edited by Mark Warren

On 12/27/2022 at 10:20 AM, Get Marwood & I said:

Some people just love comics and all their wonderful additions and nuances. You don't appear to be one of them, Mark, despite sharing half the insert owner's name. My advice would be to find a thread on the forum discussing something that you like about comics, and post appreciatively there.

LOL...I actually love comics and all their wonderful additions and nuances so much that I DON'T lock them away in plastic slabs that prevent me from seeing anything but the front and back covers! But we can agree to disagree about this jewelry ad some collectors have a nostalgic attachment to. 

On 12/27/2022 at 11:00 AM, ak47po said:

Then why are you even here?

Because there are lots of very smart collectors here who know a lot about the hobby and what they have to say interests me. You don't have to slab your comics to participate on a messageboard devoted to the history of the medium, even if it happens to be sponsored by CGC. I buy lots of slabs because I appreciate the fact that CGC and CBCS check the books thoroughly but I always crack them out when I receive them.

Dude, it's a jewelry ad. If you like it and think the books with the insert are more valuable, that's cool. Nostalgia is a strange beast. I don't buy 80's books unless they have the UPC code for example, even though I know it is less aesthetically pleasing than the art box, because that's how I saw them on the newsstands when I was a kid. I just think assigning books extra value because of an ad is strange. But we can agree to disagree.

Edited to add: if the Hostess ads featuring various superheroes eating fruit pies and Twinkies were done in the form of inserts I would definitely value the copies with the Hostess inserts higher than copies without the inserts, and I'm not kidding.

Edited by Mark Warren

On 12/27/2022 at 3:53 PM, Mark Warren said:

I couldn't possibly care less about non-comic related inserts.

You clearly do care about them, as you seem to have made it your mission to tell everyone here in the insert appreciation thread how much you don't care about inserts. My further recommendation is that you crawl back into your uncultivated warren, Mark.

On 12/27/2022 at 11:10 AM, Get Marwood & I said:

You clearly do care about them, as you seem to have made it your mission to tell everyone here in the insert appreciation thread how much you don't care about inserts. My further recommendation is that you crawl back into your uncultivated warren, Mark.

Wow. 

On 12/27/2022 at 11:09 AM, Mark Warren said:

Edited to add: if the Hostess ads featuring various superheroes eating fruit pies and Twinkies were done in the form of inserts I would definitely value the copies with the Hostess inserts higher than copies without the inserts, and I'm not kidding.

I miss reading those ads! I wish they had a new generation of ads.

On 12/27/2022 at 10:09 AM, Mark Warren said:

Because there are lots of very smart collectors here who know a lot about the hobby and what they have to say interests me. You don't have to slab your comics to participate on a messageboard devoted to the history of the medium, even if it happens to be sponsored by CGC. I buy lots of slabs because I appreciate the fact that CGC and CBCS check the books thoroughly but I always crack them out when I receive them.

Dude, it's a jewelry ad. If you like it and think the books with the insert are more valuable, that's cool. Nostalgia is a strange beast. I don't buy 80's books unless they have the UPC code for example, even though I know it is less aesthetically pleasing than the art box, because that's how I saw them on the newsstands when I was a kid. I just think assigning books extra value because of an ad is strange. But we can agree to disagree.

Because they are rarer then normal newsstand comics. This is a collecting hobby where differences matter. Some care. Some don’t. But the extra “extra” of a comic someone cherishes, makes the comic more collectible vs. one without. It’s a collector thing. You don’t care but others do. 

I spent years collecting these things because 1) I love comics, 2) I was intrigued by the inserts since I had bought the last ones on the newsstand, and 3) I think they were pretty cool to finally figure them out. And let me tell you, I spent a ton of money to do so.

It’s a hobby. And everyone pursues that in a different way. Don’t judge how they pursue it.

Jim

On 12/27/2022 at 8:00 PM, awe4one said:

It’s a collector thing.

I always loved the actual feel of them, too. Solid, stable, like having an inbuilt double backing board. The aerial view of a run with the tell tale blue lines running along the centres. And being a completist probably has something to do with it, I think. Collecting doesn't have to make sense, happily. 

On 12/27/2022 at 5:09 PM, Mark Warren said:

Well, I quite agree on the first part, as I generally could be pretty much not interests in inserts (the collecting market of our own Disney title, "Topolino" in the last 15 years have been heavily influenced by this, as there is a lot of inserts, often local ones, inconsistently placed in issues, so some demand a lot more now if complete).
But what you say afterwards does not make much sense, as one might enjoy the original jewelry ads for the same reason one likes "newsstand" copies. As an Italian, I cared a little about the newsstand barcode before learning the difference, and I even preferred the direct marked ones, especially when the box artwork was nice and custom-made. I find the cardboard inserts very nice, they document an era. And commercial value is clearly influenced by desirability: while I agree it does not make sense to make an absolute in terms of "value" and abstractly promote as "more valuable" a book with an insert, it’s nice to document and enjoy them.
What is probably wrongly formulated is the question that started this discussion, if abstractly asked.

On 12/27/2022 at 9:06 PM, Get Marwood & I said:

I always loved the actual feel of them, too. Solid, stable, like having an inbuilt double backing board. The aerial view of a run with the tell tale blue lines running along the centres. And being a completist probably has something to do with it, I think. Collecting doesn't have to make sense, happily. 

Well, it always make sense, in a way or another, otherwise it would not substantially be an interest. :)
I enjoy them for the same reason, especially as a "foreign" collector: their cardboard supplies a further protection to American books, which are way more delicate than our local editions, and above all gives a sense of context, of the american culture which generated them. It’s equally cool for me to have, say, a non-local book with a local stamp, etc.

On 12/30/2022 at 2:25 PM, vaillant said:

Well, it always make sense, in a way or another, otherwise it would not substantially be an interest. :)
I enjoy them for the same reason, especially as a "foreign" collector: their cardboard supplies a further protection to American books, which are way more delicate than our local editions, and above all gives a sense of context, of the american culture which generated them. It’s equally cool for me to have, say, a non-local book with a local stamp, etc.

Spot on <3

On 12/27/2022 at 3:00 PM, awe4one said:

Because they are rarer then normal newsstand comics. This is a collecting hobby where differences matter. Some care. Some don’t. But the extra “extra” of a comic someone cherishes, makes the comic more collectible vs. one without. It’s a collector thing. You don’t care but others do. 

I spent years collecting these things because 1) I love comics, 2) I was intrigued by the inserts since I had bought the last ones on the newsstand, and 3) I think they were pretty cool to finally figure them out. And let me tell you, I spent a ton of money to do so.

It’s a hobby. And everyone pursues that in a different way. Don’t judge how they pursue it.

Jim

Well Jim, all your articles on the MJ inserts certainly influenced me.  They intrigued me and it became a gigantic Easter egg hunt.  Now I'm down to having found all those easter eggs except five of them, I think (namely Batman 245, 390, Detective 470, 548, Action 579 with the MJ inserts.... been looking for more than 10 years and have never seen those.... if anyone has, I would love to hear about it)