• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is Batman 227 the "key" Neal Adams Batman book to have?
4 4

2,411 posts in this topic

Bats #251 has gone bonkers since the Dark Knight came out. All the Joker-Heads have been coming out of the woodwork to bump up the prices in 9.4+. It has appeal beyond being an Adams classic. The common collector just identifies this cover as the epitome of BA Batman greatness.

Batman 227 is very overrated. It wouldn't make my Top 10 Adams books.

Most of you have already voted, but for those that haven't please do. I'm trying to push the votes past 1000 before I declare a winner, and we are at 860+ right now. I will divulge that Bats #227 is leading the poll of the final 39 Adams covers. You can choose to push the book out of reach of the other contenders, or sabotage it by excluding it from your top 15. The choice is yours. Some are complaining that Bats #227 should not win because it is an homage to another artists work (on Tec 31). What do you think? Is Batman #227 the greatest of all Neal Adams covers? Let your voice be heard right here:

Ultimate Neal Adams Covers Poll: FINAL Round!

Batman 227 is very overrated. It wouldn't make my Top 10 Adams books.

Yep. I think of it as an adams book for those who don't actually read 'em :flamed:

there are so many more interesting adams books that have more to offer - there are just as pretty covers with much, much better stories and interior art

I just saw a #251 9.6 listed on eBay for around $700.

I saw that one to, it was 799 obo. The seller ended it.

I think its been relisted at $900 now.....

I actually think the story in 227 is good, but it isn't considered special because Irv Novick pencilled it. If Adams had done it, it would be every bit as good as the other issues he drew.

Ok, which one of you bought this 9.2 white?

http://cgi.ebay.com/BATMAN-227-CGC-NM-9-2-WHITE-PAGES-CLASSIC-ADAMS-CV-/260823789980?_trksid=p4340.m7&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26itu%3DUCI%26otn%3D10%26po%3DLVI%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D1745833209300818995

Seller came down over a hundo on it.

I made a lowball offer and got shot down.

I wasn't surprised that the Hagarland 9.2 would go for about $600. That was about as low as they would have gone based the email they sent. The $300 for the 9.0 was a surprise though. It thought it had a chance to go a little higher. Does "cream" or "cream to OW" really hurt BA books that much? Early '80s BA maybe, but this is 41 year old book.

I wasn't surprised that the Hagarland 9.2 would go for about $600. That was about as low as they would have gone based the email they sent. The $300 for the 9.0 was a surprise though. It thought it had a chance to go a little higher. Does "cream" or "cream to OW" really hurt BA books that much? Early '80s BA maybe, but this is 41 year old book.

C/OW does hurt bronze a ton, maybe more than it should. There is also a big difference on Bats 227 between a 9.0 and 9.2. 9.2 seems to be the starting point for high grade on that book. Prices are rising in all grades though as demand is far more than supply.

C/OW does hurt bronze a ton, maybe more than it should. There is also a big difference on Bats 227 between a 9.0 and 9.2. 9.2 seems to be the starting point for high grade on that book. Prices are rising in all grades though as demand is far more than supply.

i can tolerate C/OW pages for early SA books, but i do try to avoid. C/OW pages on a BA book? forget about it, it's like OW/W pages on a CA book.