• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is Batman 227 the "key" Neal Adams Batman book to have?
4 4

2,411 posts in this topic

It's still at $255 from what I can see. What I'm not sure about is whether the Batman 227 actually has tape or if he copy/pasted the wrong description from the Batman 171 that does have tape. Can't really tell what is going on with the top staple. It might have been replaced but there doesn't appear to be a second set of staple holes on the outside of the front cover (shrug) Either way, I wouldn't take the chance at the current bidding level.

The top staple looks popped then replaced if you look at the outside cover you can make out what looks like where the cover was tucked under to hold it in place. Look at the staple on the inside and you will see a second set of holes to the right. The color and shape do not match the bottom at all. The description probably is for the 171 that he is still claiming is a 9.2-9.4.

Good Lord. I just checked and this book sold for $305! I can see a very upset customer coming up once the book is in hand for inspection. How do you think eBay will handle this one? The seller DID mention the tape, albeit the grade listing of 9.2-9.4 is very misleading.

It's not a 9.2/9.4, basically it's not as advertised so eBay will probably side with the buyer. If there is tape in the book then whoever the buyer is should be more vigilant when reading descriptions, and certainly shouldn't be dropping $300 on a raw copy of Batman #227 through eBay.

Does this book look ahem* odd to anyone else?

ebay auction

Specifically look at the top staple and interior shot. Besides not being in the stated grade the book looks off IMO.

The seller notes there there is tape on centerfold and on spine which is a pretty big red flag. No book in 9.2 or 9.4 from 1970 should have tape holding it together.

I've seen this auction. It makes my head hurt...

Header: FLAWLESS 9.2 - 9.4

(scroll down a couple screens' worth of space)

... two tiny pieces of tape on inside of spine ... two tiny pieces of tape on centerfold ...

Talk about friggin' bait and switch. doh!

maybe the book is flawless...the tape simply rests on top of the book...is not part of the book

I dunno. Maybe I'm a newbie at this and I'm just not as familiar with the details of the grading standards, but I picture a 9.8 to be a near flawless book. The lower, right hand corner on the cover - Does that look like a small crease?

bats_227_9.8_corner.jpg

Edited by Brian48

Whoops meant to say BRFC, looks like a tiny crease which in my book should be nowhere near a 9.6 let alone a book that is graded a 9.8. On the BLFC CGC generally doesn't downgrade for tiny bindery issues on the top and bottom of the spine which this looks to be the case.

There may be a tiny bit of rust on the bottom staple, little hard to tell though unless you have the book in hand.

I have a hard time seeing this book sniff anywhere near 10K, if someone does shell out near that much they're gonna pay the price down the road.

Wow, I hadn't checked the census on 9.8's in a while. The last time I checked there was only one that WWW sold a couple of years ago. That book had a much better wrap than this TC book. Same page quality. I doubt the TC book will fetch 10K, but who knows? Does anyone have a scan or pic of the Oakland copy?

I have a hard time seeing this book sniff anywhere near 10K, if someone does shell out near that much they're gonna pay the price down the road.

Agreed. Especially since this is the 2nd copy in 9.8 (and the lesser of the 2 in presentation, imo).

Is this the one? I don't see any references to any pedigree though.

Bat_227_98_03.jpg

Yes, that was the first 9.8 in the census that WWC sold in 2009. I'm sure there will be a few more that hit 9.8 status. Hopefully we'll see a perfectly wrapped copy (like Twisty's) with white pages sometime soon. Then the droolfest will be on.