• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is Batman 227 the "key" Neal Adams Batman book to have?
4 4

2,411 posts in this topic

Batman #227 = iconic Batman cover

DC Special #6 = iconic dead horse cover? (shrug)

I know which I like more...

is there a more iconic "dead horse" cover? hm

Neal told me he spent over 8 hours on the DC Special #6 and no really cares about it and he spent less than 45 minutes on Superman 233 and its one of the most recognizable covers ever...

slice or dice it.... its all awesome :sumo:

Distractors and detractors aside, #227 on why it's a natural winner despite being a homage piece- everything in it is iconic by accidental or else unconsciously guided artistic expression- there's the dark knight element of batman hovering above the scenario; the pulp factor; the NA horror element of the gothic haunted house; the damsel in distress; the villain; the deep fog and mist atmosphere of the mystery detective theme; all piece together its the ultimate detective comics homage cover that was never realized in any detective comics covers, simply because Batman had entered its never before seen realistic phase as the cowled avenging justice of the night.

What a masterpiece.

Distractors and detractors aside, #227 on why it's a natural winner despite being a homage piece- everything in it is iconic by accidental or else unconsciously guided artistic expression- there's the dark knight element of batman hovering above the scenario; the pulp factor; the NA horror element of the gothic haunted house; the damsel in distress; the villain; the deep atmosphere of the mystery detective theme; all piece together its the ultimate detective comics homage cover that was never realized in any detective comics covers, simply because Batman had entered its never before seen realistic phase as the cowled avenging justice of the night.

I could have done without Robin in his underwear though.

Distractors and detractors aside, #227 on why it's a natural winner despite being a homage piece- everything in it is iconic by accidental or else unconsciously guided artistic expression- there's the dark knight element of batman hovering above the scenario; the pulp factor; the NA horror element of the gothic haunted house; the damsel in distress; the villain; the deep atmosphere of the mystery detective theme; all piece together its the ultimate detective comics homage cover that was never realized in any detective comics covers, simply because Batman had entered its never before seen realistic phase as the cowled avenging justice of the night.

I could have done without Robin in his underwear though.

Fixed. But that's always the case for me as a member of the Robin-Haters club.

Bats 227 was the first CGC book I ever slabbed then flipped on the boards. I think I bought it for around $75 and it came back a CGC 9.4. Sold it for around $250. :P

I am supposed to meet someone tonight who is a non-collector selling his bagged and boarded raw copy. I think he wants around $150-$200. Not sure of the grade yet but will find out soon.

Edited by Rip

This one would be up there for me. I picked up this copy a while back. Sue me, I like knights.

0801130827241.jpg

super nice!!!!! wow what a beauty...your makin' me like knights too now :applause:

One of my favorite covers too. Mine is only a 9.0, but you'd swear it was at least a 9.4 if you had it in hand.

RAD807372011527_163735.jpg

This one would be up there for me. I picked up this copy a while back. Sue me, I like knights.

0801130827241.jpg

super nice!!!!! wow what a beauty...your makin' me like knights too now :applause:

One of my favorite covers too. Mine is only a 9.0, but you'd swear it was at least a 9.4 if you had it in hand.

RAD807372011527_163735.jpg

both of you need this brazilian (thumbs u

batman-n-31-3-serie-maio-de-1972-ebal-raro_MLB-F-3627029140_012013_zps137e1089.jpg

This probably isn't the right place to ask, but...

Does anyone know of a definitive list of Neal Adams covers? Not just Batman but all books or close to it?

Try this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neal_Adams_bibliography

his very first published work is The Fly #4 (1960) Archie Comics

they used his work on one panel.......i pciked up this book for $5 in May and last month I saw it for $175 in terrible condition.... a secret Adams gem for sure......