• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is Batman 227 the "key" Neal Adams Batman book to have?
4 4

2,411 posts in this topic

I am not sure if it is the "key" Adams book.. So I am just gonna try to get them all :D These are the only ones I have so far, but I am doing pretty good. I am into them for about 140 total :) The 227 is lowest grade with 200 being the best, 232 is #2

xpm2.jpg

I am not sure if it is the "key" Adams book.. So I am just gonna try to get them all :D These are the only ones I have so far, but I am doing pretty good. I am into them for about 140 total :) The 227 is lowest grade with 200 being the best, 232 is #2

xpm2.jpg

Nice group-shot. I still need to get #234.

hm We should see more top end info on Batman 227 at Heritage in a few days time. The Twin Cities 9.8 is up again having sold in 2011 for 6,274. In my opinion, but I will caveat that Bats 227 has the ability to shatter common sense, the book will be hard pressed to reach those levels again. Most of the TC books were over paid for and have seen decreases in the resale market. The subsequent sale of a 9.8 for 4.7K and the increase in the census by 2-3 additional copies, if you count the Oakland, may see the TC hard pressed to reach 6K with the juice.

We will see in a few days, but is the 9.8 Oakland still removed from the CL auction? It might be the owner wants to see the TC sell, or feels the sale of that book at Heritage is too close to their offering at CL? I was an under bidder on the Oakland and like a few others dropped off as it approached 2K with the holidays upon us and having bought a DD 2 and a few other four figure books in the fall.

Besides Bats 227, Bats 222 has a tendency to defy all common sense as well. Now there's a high grade in both the upcoming CL and the current HA. I actually find this outcome more interesting.

Besides Bats 227, Bats 222 has a tendency to defy all common sense as well. Now there's a high grade in both the upcoming CL and the current HA. I actually find this outcome more interesting.

As was pointed out earlier this book is by far one of the most common Batman BA keys. It received a bump during the first Bale Batman movie and has kind of hit a plateau since then. I think a copy with a straight spine as it is a bit notorious for a DD 158-style mis-wrap to the lower left 1/4 of the spine, is something of interest.

I do love the cover and read my low grade copy every once in a while, but seeing this in 9.8 is not quite earth shattering.

Another 227 9.8 is in this month's CL auction. It looks like it was just added w/o scans.

I wouldn't mind for the price to drop on nosebleed graded copies. I'd love to own a 9.8, but at 4-6K, no thanks.

Would that make 10 in the census in 9.8? As the numbers swell a bit I believe the price will come down.

Another 227 9.8 is in this month's CL auction. It looks like it was just added w/o scans.

I wouldn't mind for the price to drop on nosebleed graded copies. I'd love to own a 9.8, but at 4-6K, no thanks.

Would that make 10 in the census in 9.8? As the numbers swell a bit I believe the price will come down.

9.8's - 7 blue, 1 SS 8 total

February 11th, one more blue was added (from 6 copies to 7). I've seen scans of 5 of the 7 blues, of those only 2 had super wraps and registration. The Oakland copy is the best I've seen.

9.8's - 7 blue, 1 SS 8 total

February 11th, one more blue was added (from 6 copies to 7). I've seen scans of 5 of the 7 blues, of those only 2 had super wraps and registration. The Oakland copy is the best I've seen.

The Oakland copy. :cloud9: This is one of those books that defies the census.

Still bummed over two years later, as I the final underbidder on all of the #227 interior OA (the full story was sold intact at Doyle in November 2011). I know we all talk about the throwback Adams cover, with the cruel joke being the interior by Novick/Giordano as not very significant or special by any means.

I even went to the preview to look at it, and the woman seemed annoyed I was taking up premium counter space flipping through the pages...in the catalogue, they even called it a "curiousity", since they never do comic OA.

Always exciting as we approach 2/27 and the tribute parade of #227s come out on this thread, but that miss still stings.