• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What's the best comic shop to visit in the greater LA area?

18 posts in this topic

I've got some time this afternoon and maybe another day this week and I wanted to see what's the best place I can hit while here. After trying to hunt down Terry's comics in Orange, I then came to realize that he only has an online store. :doh:

Not looking for moderns as much as some SA. Any help is appreciated!

I like Comics Factory located in the city of Pasadena. It's very closes to downtown Pasadena where there's great restaurants and shops.

The comic shop reminds me the intro of the short film "Superman/Shazam: The Return of Black Adam"

But keep in mind it only sells moderns.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/comics-factory-pasadena

Might try Meltdown on Sunset Blvd. in Hollywood. But if you're looking for Older Back Issues then the pickings are slim.

Hi-De-Ho just recently moved to Lincoln Blvd. in Santa Monica, but they've long lost their great back issue stock over the years.

If you're still down in OC, check out Comics Toons and More in Tustin, not much in the SA (if any) but a great toy and comics store for newer stuff.

If you choose to visit the pasadena area (as mentioned earlier, the Comics Factory is more modern oriented, very little in the way of back inventory), you can call the comic cellar (one in monrovia, one in san gabriel) and ask about back stock, sometimes they have nice bronze/silver collections.

There's also a place on arroyo parkway(?) with a display case of a few sweet ones, but the name escapes me.

I've been all around the lower valley to city of LA area, and believe me when they say the pickings are slim....

There were also a few shops around the Torrance area years ago, but I don't think they are around any more.

Comic factory-- Pasadena. my LCS. great great store. No real back issues tho.

Comic oddsey -- arroyo parkway pasadena. used to be my LCS years ago but became more about cards/games. They do have a small selection of bronze tho.

House of secrets -- burbank. Best store in southern california. Small section of moderns, they do mostly bronze and earlier. Paul is excellent to talk with too.

Hi de ho -- santa monica. Recently they moved. I saw the store a week after and it wasn't completely set up. Not gonna find high grade, but they have an excellent selection of back issues if you don't care about grade.

Bunky brothers -- rancho cucamonga. 2nd best store I've been to. Again, i went not too long after they opened, and thy weren't fully set up. More important keys than house of secrets, but not as big a selection.

Golden apple -- ehh, they do ALOT of fun events, and they do have a decent store, but not alot of pre copper.

Meltdown -- LA. i swear this store was the inspiration of the comic store jack black owned in the simpsons episode. Nice store, but more for statues etc etc than really comics.

Its not Comic Odyssey anymore. It has been seperated from the cards/games and is now Collectors Paradise. Nice selection of moderns ans tons of variants. Not to many older issues.

There's also Secret Headquarters just outside of Hollywood.

I'll have to check it out, at least to see what it looks like now

Well, it looks like I'll be going to Burbank tomorrow and check out House of Secrets. I've been to Frank & Sons before and was underwhelmed. Maybe I'll hit 'em up on Saturday.

If I'm down here again I'll definitely take the trip out to the inland empire and visit Bunky's place.

Might try Meltdown on Sunset Blvd. in Hollywood. But if you're looking for Older Back Issues then the pickings are slim.

Hi-De-Ho just recently moved to Lincoln Blvd. in Santa Monica, but they've long lost their great back issue stock over the years.

If you're still down in OC, check out Comics Toons and toys in Tustin, not much in the SA (if any) but a great toy and comics store for newer stuff.

I get my new books from here every Wednesday.Matt(the owner) is a great guy. :cloud9:

House of Secrets was pretty cool - I loved the way they had the store arranged and they had pretty good stock of SA and BA. I came away with a few low/mid grade women's lib Wonder Woman issues but not the SA Spideys I was looking for.

The owner was a nice guy and it was a great visit. Thanks for the advice!