• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

May Featured Auction did you win or lose

256 posts in this topic

Holy , the Tales of Suspense #65 9.2 just ended at $2,100 !!!

Jim

Was going to bid on that book, but decided to call for the notes first. Two graders had 9.2 and one grader 8.5 so I decided not to bid. All of the books labeled "Original Ower" did very well if not above GPA.

Congrats on the books :applause: I haven't followed the Pre-Hero market in a while but it seemed to me that prices were pretty strong, especially for books in the 8.0-9.0 range (and I'm not talking about prototype issues, either)

Pre-Heroes have really come into their own in the last three years....books that used to sell for $300-$400 back 4-5 years ago can now command $1,000-$1,500 or more.

Case in point, this classic Kirby cover brought in $1,655 even though its the third highest graded copy:

RAD261E22011228_16191.jpg

Guess my 9.0 Bethelem copy is safely worth more then the $750 or so I put down on my comic collection spreadsheet. :P

I sold way too soon doh!

You and me both brother. Some deep pocket collectors are into the pre-heroes now and they actively compete against one another to complete/upgrade their runs. Luckily, I still have a couple of gems squirreled away. :whee:

Spot the trend. These are all CLink auctions.

May 26, 2010: Howard the Duck #1 CGC 9.8 W - $2,150

Feb 22, 2011: Howard the Duck #1 CGC 9.8 W - $1,414

May 25, 2011: Howard the Duck #1 CGC 9.8 W - $651

Can you give me a hint (shrug)

There isn't a Howard the Duck comic in the world that should be worth more then $100, and that's only if its embossed with gold leaf.

All of the books start with "H"!

There isn't a Howard the Duck comic in the world that should be worth more then $100, and that's only if its embossed with gold leaf.

The duck gets no respect.

All of the books start with "H"!

And end with "uck".

Congrats on the books :applause: I haven't followed the Pre-Hero market in a while but it seemed to me that prices were pretty strong, especially for books in the 8.0-9.0 range (and I'm not talking about prototype issues, either)

Pre-Heroes have really come into their own in the last three years....books that used to sell for $300-$400 back 4-5 years ago can now command $1,000-$1,500 or more.

Case in point, this classic Kirby cover brought in $1,655 even though its the third highest graded copy:

RAD261E22011228_16191.jpg

Guess my 9.0 Bethelem copy is safely worth more then the $750 or so I put down on my comic collection spreadsheet. :P

(thumbs u

I'm happy with my copy.

ST_80lg.jpg

But......, there's a difference between paying 8-10 times too much, and 20-22 times too much...., I think :P

Thankfully a little sanity prevailed thanks to the disclosure of the previous history of the book.

'Little' is right. For a scrub such as myself, 25K is too high for a 9.2.

GL#76 CGC 9.8 gets killed at just under $16K [which is more than this book is worth IMO]. Previous 9.8 sale $37K. :tonofbricks:

chasing those temporarily highest graded books :insane:

To think, some people spent 10K on a 9.4. :blush:

Jim

Was going to bid on that book, but decided to call for the notes first. Two graders had 9.2 and one grader 8.5 so I decided not to bid. All of the books labeled "Original Ower" did very well if not above GPA.

The scan actually presented very well, must be some serious back cover defects for an 8.5 grade.

Jim

Jim

The scan actually presented very well, must be some serious back cover defects for an 8.5 grade.

Jim

If that is the case I think all 3 graders need to get together and grade by committee.

If one grader gives it an 8.5 while the other two give it a 9.2 something needs to done, or atleast ask what the 8.5 grader saw.

I'm happy to see the pre-heroes gaining traction. I suppose it's where you turn to next after you've collected your desired hero runs. It's a bit of a labor of love...

Or you graduate to original art...

If one grader gives it an 8.5 while the other two give it a 9.2 something needs to done, or atleast ask what the 8.5 grader saw.

Their process is designed so that exactly this happens, the final grader tries to figure out what the other two guys were seeing--or NOT seeing--if there's a significant difference.