• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Happy freaking fathers day to me!!!

158 posts in this topic

Mr. Jason, I don't think it's been brought up, but I'm sure most of the board would like to wish your little girl a happy (as can be) birthday :foryou:

I WILL echo those thoughts! Hope it was a great birthday!!

I'll chime in here with my personal experience

I owned a dog for 3 years and then my son was born. After about a year the dog jumped up on my son to grab some food. I went to push the dog away from my son and the dog snapped at me pretty viciously and cut my finger deep.

At that point my wife and I both agreed the dog had to go. We were sad but our kids safety comes first over any animal. We love animals but not at the risk of one of us getting hurt

We gave the dog away to a tile guy doing renovation on our home. We were prepared to bring the dog to the pound or give him away via craiglist if we couldn't find anyone.

I feel for you Jason...you are doing the right thing. My daughter cried a day or two but she got over it.

Ok, well im sure im going to catch some flak for this but for the time being, we've decided to keep the dog and give him 1 last chance. We talked about it for a couple hours the other night and even though we are taking a risk, no one wants to give the dog away and we are going to give it one more shot.

Our old trainer put us in touch with a really good trainer down here and we talked to him for about 3 hours yesterday. He gave us a LONG list of things to do with Romo that we havent been doing and a list of things to stop doing that we have been doing. We're going to try all these things for a month and see if his behavior(especially towards the other dogs!) improves. While we are trying all these things we talked to the kids and they are going to stay away from Romo as much as possible to try and make sure no accidents happen. If we have any company over, we will keep Romo either outside or in the bedroom.

Hopefully, the trainer can help him and make him safe for the kids to be around and we can keep our little buddy. HOPEFULLY, while we are doing this, there wont be any accidents that make us regret not giving him away. We probably should but frankly, none of us have the heart to go thru with giving him away and not having him in our lives so were willing to take the risk and give him one more chance. I just hope it all works out and he gets to stay with his family and nothing bad happens from all this!

I do want to thank everyone in the thread for their support and especially Christian(darth corgi) who has given me a LOT of help and support to try and resolve this bad situation! Thanks again! (worship)

Let me be the first to say BRAVO!!!! You did the RIGHT thing in this situation!!! One issue doesn't mean the dog is bad, however, if something were to happen again, then i'd fully agree that you'd have to take action of giving the dog away or worse!!!!!! Sorry, I had to come down on you so hard, but remember, your dog is as smart as a 4 year old, he knows right from wrong, and i'm hoping he'll take this as a lesson learned!! ENCOURAGE your family to be more involved in your dogs life, and maybe everyone will be happier in the end!!

Let me be the first to say BRAVO!!!! You did the RIGHT thing in this situation!!! One issue doesn't mean the dog is bad, however, if something were to happen again, then i'd fully agree that you'd have to take action of giving the dog away or worse!!!!!! Sorry, I had to come down on you so hard, but remember, your dog is as smart as a 4 year old, he knows right from wrong, and i'm hoping he'll take this as a lesson learned!! ENCOURAGE your family to be more involved in your dogs life, and maybe everyone will be happier in the end!!

Yeah, your words obviously convinced him to make this decision. It just goes to show that a well thought out non-confrontational argument can go a long way. :taptaptap:

sufunk, your solution sounds like a nice group decision that everyone will contribute to making a success. We have a dog in our house with a history of aggression, he's mostly protective of his primary owner. There are 3 people, 3 dogs, and 2 cats here and we just take care when introducing new people and we avoid high stress situations. I know it's not exactly the same as your situation, but the point it to find the best way to prevent the behavior and stick to it.

Hope it turns out to be the happy ending you all deserve.

I guess as long as the kids keep their faces away from him things could work. If something goes wrong again at least it won't scar their features.

My ex and I had two large dogs that LOVED to play together. One day she took one to the vet and left the other home. When she returned the one that stayed home just tore into the other and they had a BLOODY fight! I guess she felt her dominance threatened (we had her 1 year before getting the other). From then on we were walking on egg shells with those two. They'd fought two more times, the last one was after we seperated and my ex was alone with them (being the wife, she got to keep the home :blahblah: ). She called me, FREAKING out that they were killing each other. I lived 25 miles away so by the time I got there it was an even bloodier mess. When I pulled up and they heard me they simply stopped and ran to the fence wagging their tails, looking like 2 Cujo's :eyeroll: . We finally had to seperate them. One with her, the other with her parents until I recovered from losing eveything to the ex :blahblah:

Dogs doh!

Let me be the first to say BRAVO!!!! You did the RIGHT thing in this situation!!! One issue doesn't mean the dog is bad, however, if something were to happen again, then i'd fully agree that you'd have to take action of giving the dog away or worse!!!!!! Sorry, I had to come down on you so hard, but remember, your dog is as smart as a 4 year old 2-year-old, he knows right from wrong, and i'm hoping he'll take this as a lesson learned!! ENCOURAGE your family to be more involved in your dogs life, and maybe everyone will be happier in the end!!

Fixed that for you, Dr-person_who_is_obnoxiously_self-impressed.

Let me be the first to say BRAVO!!!! You did the RIGHT thing in this situation!!! One two issues doesn't don't mean the dog is bad, however, if something were to happen again, then i'd fully agree that you'd have to take action of giving the dog away or worse!!!!!! Sorry, I had to come down on you so hard, but remember, your dog is as smart as a 4 year old 2-year-old, he knows right from wrong, and i'm hoping he'll take this as a lesson learned!! ENCOURAGE your family to be more involved in your dogs life, and maybe everyone will be happier in the end!!

Fixed that for you, Dr-person_who_is_obnoxiously_self-impressed.

Me too

I guess as long as the kids keep their faces away from him things could work. If something goes wrong again at least it won't scar their features.

My ex and I had two dogs that LOVED to play together, but one day she took one to the vet and left the other home. When she returned the one that stayed home just tore into the other and they had a BLOODY fight! I guess she felt her dominance threatened (we had her 1 year before getting the other). From then on we were walking on egg shells with those two. They'd fought two more times, the last one was after we seperated and my ex was alone with them (being the wife, she got to keep the home :blahblah: ). She called me, FREAKING out that they were killing each other. I lived 25 miles away so by the time I got there it was an even bloodier mess. When I pulled up and they heard me, they simply stopped and ran to the fence wagging their tails :eyeroll:

looking like 2 Cujo's. We finally had to seperate them. One with her, the other with her parents until I recovered from losing eveything to the ex :blahblah:

Dogs doh!

lol- my brother has 2 dogs (from the same litter), and we call the female Cujo sometimes. Those 2 tear into each other viciously sometimes, it sounds like they absolutely want to kill each other. Actually I dont know that theres ever been bloodshed though. Most times they get along fine.

Thanks everyone! (worship)

Like you Bill, we also have one of Romo's litter mates, Dooey. The breeder kept Dooey as the pick of the litter but he ended up not being show quality so after about 9 months he called and asked if we wanted him also, we just had to pay the airfare to have him sent from Louisiana. He basically spent his 1st 9 months in a cage in their kennel but he is absolutely the sweetest most loving dog on the planet. Romo, who grew up with us, being loved more than anything somehow turned out vicious ???

Anyways, about once a month, Dooey and Romo will go at it like you cant believe! It gets to the point where they just wont stop going after each other. You practically have to throw boiling water on them to get them to stop! They will VICIOUSLY go after each other for like 2 full minutes yet somehow they wont have a cut anywhere on them??? Its really amazing after what happened to me. 1 bite and i was in the ER bleeding like a stuck pig but they can viciously bite each other for 2 minutes and not have a single cut (shrug)

You are quite possibly one of the stupidest sperm that somehow made it to an egg by sheer luck.

Unless this is Skynet's first attempt at AI, which would clearly explain this azz clown believing a dog will understand what it did wrong, feel bad and then correct its behavior, then maybe Skynet doesn't understand that the only way dogs learn a behavior is through constant repetition. As it turns out Skynet is pretty paethetic, and clearly doesn't cause mankind any harm.

Good luck Jason, and be careful to avoid a slippery slope with this dog. The next time if it's just a finger or hand that gets bit you will still feel horrible to get rid of the dog and so on and so forth.

One issue doesn't mean the dog is bad, however, if something were to happen again, then i'd fully agree that you'd have to take action...

Since it wasn't "one" issue, then that means something DID "happen again". You just contradicted everything you :blahblah: :blahblah: :blahblah:ed about.

You, sunshine, are one bad tit. doh!