• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Happy freaking fathers day to me!!!

158 posts in this topic

Well, that didn't work out!

At the ER now with my son with a small bite over the lip from the same damn dog. We tried everything under the sun the last year, trainer, having him neutered and a million other things the trainer had us try but here we are again! I really just don't understand for the life of me this dogs problem. 99% of the time he's the sweetest most loving dog and then just snaps out of nowhere ???

This is definitely the end though for my little Romo. There's just no way I can keep him in the house with kids. It's going to break everyones heart but he has to go now, there's just no other option at this point! :sorry:

Maybe if you hadn't named him Romo he wouldn't have such a disposition. hm

Hey! Tony had a great disposition!!! (tsk)

Now, if the dog was constantly choking on his bones or toys, I'd almost think you had a point hm

Let me be the first to say BRAVO!!!! You did the RIGHT thing in this situation!!! One issue doesn't mean the dog is bad, however, if something were to happen again, then i'd fully agree that you'd have to take action of giving the dog away or worse!!!!!! Sorry, I had to come down on you so hard, but remember, your dog is as smart as a 4 year old, he knows right from wrong, and i'm hoping he'll take this as a lesson learned!! ENCOURAGE your family to be more involved in your dogs life, and maybe everyone will be happier in the end!!

You, sunshine, are one bad tit. doh!

Awesome sig line dude....she's :cloud9::luhv:

At the ER now with my son with a small bite over the lip from the same damn dog. We tried everything under the sun the last year, trainer, having him neutered and a million other things the trainer had us try but here we are again! I really just don't understand for the life of me this dogs problem. 99% of the time he's the sweetest most loving dog and then just snaps out of nowhere ???

This is definitely the end though for my little Romo. There's just no way I can keep him in the house with kids. It's going to break everyones heart but he has to go now, there's just no other option at this point! :sorry:

You're doing the right thing. The last thing you want is a dog that goes after kids...especially yours. When I was a boy, we had a Scottish Terrier who bit me on the head....the only incidient of this with the dog. My mother made my Father take him away the next day. Some things you just can't F around with.

I refrained from commenting before but I was bewildered as to why you decided to keep the dog placing your kids at risk. I don't think you would have been able to forgive yourself if your child was seriously injured or disfigured. Sometimes we just have to make the hard decisions. I'm glad to hear it was not a serious injury.

+1

I do respect your trying to work the situation out as you did though. It's hard when the family becomes attached to a pet but then has to deal with a situation like this repeatidly. What you tried is all you can do so it sounds to me there are no other options left.

My mother just took in a dog from another family that were unable to keep it. The dog seems to be okay and happy in its new home so far. Maybe you can find another home for him that has no children? (shrug)

I refrained from commenting before but I was bewildered as to why you decided to keep the dog placing your kids at risk. I don't think you would have been able to forgive yourself if your child was seriously injured or disfigured. Sometimes we just have to make the hard decisions. I'm glad to hear it was not a serious injury.

+1

I do respect your trying to work the situation out as you did though. It's hard when the family becomes attached to a pet but then has to deal with a situation like this repeatidly. What you tried is all you can do so it sounds to me there are no other options left.

My mother just took in a dog from another family that were unable to keep it. The dog seems to be okay and happy in its new home so far. Maybe you can find another home for him that has no children? (shrug)

Believe me, I know. It's freaking hard though when you still love the dog and your entire family is crying their eyes out begging to keep him!

This is definitely it though no matter what. Even after all this, it's still sad as hell! He's sitting next to me on the couch with his head on my lap right now and like every 10seconds he works his head under my hand so I'll rub his ears. He's just sitting like the sweetest nicest dog you've ever imagined. I swear the dog is freaking schizo or bi-polar. He just snaps out of nowhere for no reason whatsoever ???

One of our boardies, darth corgi , is helping me out and put me in touch with the Florida Corgi rescue group so hopefully we can find a more appropriate home for him somewhere with no children where he'll be happy. That's going to be just freaking crushing though! I've had 4-5 dogs my whole adult life and have NEVER given one away. Driving him somewhere to leave him for good.... I'm gonna be crying like a little girl driving away knowing I'll never see my little guy again :cry:

Thank the Lord it was you he attacked and not your daughter. Don't allow that dog to share a house with your child. Always sad when a pet freaks out but you can't allow it the opportunity to attack your wife or daughter.

My neighbor's daughter has 40 stitches across the left side of her face thanks to a dog that was removed from the home too late after showing a similar type of out of the blue aggression.

My sister got her face mawled a while back by a "friendly, family" pet to the tune of 30 stitches when it latched on to her.

The family has kept the dog because it a "nice" dog. I'd have strangled it with my bare hands in rage had I been there when the accident happened and despite my complaints has kept it, which to me is nothing more than a disrespectful move to my sister.

I love dogs, have had 2 of them but there is nothing you can say to convince me that they are unpredictable wild animals in a domesticated body and are able to go off at any time without any notice. I've never left my kids along with the dog and never would.

I realize that there are animal lovers and people who understand dogs better but most people aren't able to engage their pets with the time and effort of learning another language and understanding the dog the way it needs to be understood and I probably won't have another again after that incident to my sister.

I'll chime in here with my personal experience

I owned a dog for 3 years and then my son was born. After about a year the dog jumped up on my son to grab some food. I went to push the dog away from my son and the dog snapped at me pretty viciously and cut my finger deep.

At that point my wife and I both agreed the dog had to go. We were sad but our kids safety comes first over any animal. We love animals but not at the risk of one of us getting hurt

We gave the dog away to a tile guy doing renovation on our home. We were prepared to bring the dog to the pound or give him away via craiglist if we couldn't find anyone.

I feel for you Jason...you are doing the right thing. My daughter cried a day or two but she got over it.

I've got a pretty spooky story.

When Lou's kids were younger, she was at the park with them. Her daughter was in a swing (the kind with the lap bar) and her son was a newborn hanging on her front torso in a yellow fleece outfit.

Out of nowhere this dog comes racing across the field headed straight for Louise.

In a panic, as the dog is approaching at full speed and even though is a great distance away is approaching very quickly, Louise goes to try to pull her daughter out of the swing - except it's one of those things where when you hurry it takes even longer, and she doesn't manage to get her daughter out of the swing.

By this time the dog has arrived and leaps onto Lou placing it's two front paws on her chest.

The owner is running behind the dog, trying to keep up and when he arrives he explains that the dog has a chew toy that looks just like Louise's son in his yellow bundle.

:eek:

Thankfully, nothing happened and everyone was OK.