• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Favorite Good Girl Covers...

420 posts in this topic

That guys face is the #1 reason I haven't picked up that issue yet. Every time I see it I look past the girl (who is well drawn) and focus on that face. Disturbing. foreheadslap.gif

I think it is done on purpose to give the villain some "visual character" à la Chester Gould Tracy's villains. The pronounced slant in the forehead implying lack of intelligence in the brute. To me, it gives a little more pep to the cover due to the contrast with the other realistic elements. For sure a departure from typical Lubbers work but worth a look for the departure from all surrounding covers for the title.

Still a gorgeous gal and book thumbsup2.gif

Last month when Brain and I hit Joe Field's Flying Color Comics I was immediately drawn to these two books for two reasons: it is not so very common to see these titles from Fiction House with red covers (not just ion the logo field but through the whole cover), and the reds were totally lacking the classic "Fiction House Red Fading". (Check out Gerber for the more classic orange-red of this Fight 62).

Without further ballyhoo:

fight62.jpg

Adam - I love that cover - my favorite of the airbrushed Xela jungle covers. I keep on telling myself I'll pick up a decent copy someday - but probably because it's not a scarce book, I always figure I'll do it later.

That really is a pretty copy hail.gif

I love tigers and other big cats (that gat ain't bad either) cool.gif

Some of the airbrush covers were printed with different intensities of inks from the press. That copy, though it doesn't show in the scan, has the most intense inks I've seen for that issue.

I've noticed inconsistencies of color intensity in alot of different GA books - and not due to fading. Blues especially seem to fluctuate from copy to copy. Catman #32 is a prime example - I've seen different copies where the reds and yellows stay about the same, but the background can range from a pale blue to a deep almost torquoise blue.

I've noticed inconsistencies of color intensity in alot of different GA books - and not due to fading. Blues especially seem to fluctuate from copy to copy. Catman #32 is a prime example - I've seen different copies where the reds and yellows stay about the same, but the background can range from a pale blue to a deep almost torquoise blue.

I've seen the same phenomenon on that book -- it has a wider variation than I can recall on the other LB Coles from that time period.

Not really trying to resurrect this thread, just didn't want to keep hijacking Skybolt's slabbed thread with my lowly copy.

Thanks to GACollectibles for finding this one for me. I've never been able to locate one until he offered this one up.

I love the Matt Baker cover thumbsup2.gif

FlyinJenny2.jpg

Apotheosis, that Flyin' Jenny book is very nice -- never seen it before.

It's one of those rare no-rescue-in-sight (NRIS) books. In almost ALL

damsel-in-distress covers, there's someone just about to come to the rescue

and save the girl.

But in your Flyin' Jenny issue (Rangers 27 is another NRIS book), she's been

thrown out of the plane ... and ... and ... are we to assume she now falls to her death?

Very odd cover in that respect.

gozer

----------

Oh my God, he is like some sort of ... non ... giving up ... school guy!

Apotheosis, that Flyin' Jenny book is very nice -- never seen it before.

It's one of those rare no-rescue-in-sight (NRIS) books. In almost ALL

damsel-in-distress covers, there's someone just about to come to the rescue

and save the girl.

But in your Flyin' Jenny issue (Rangers 27 is another NRIS book), she's been

thrown out of the plane ... and ... and ... are we to assume she now falls to her death?

Very odd cover in that respect.

gozer

----------

Oh my God, he is like some sort of ... non ... giving up ... school guy!

Do we now need an NRIS thread?

Let's see if we can't resurrect this thread. Presenting Fighting Yank #21. Cover by Schomburg. He must have liked this one alot, since he signed it with his full name.

fightingyank21f.jpg

Can't say as I blame him! hubba hubba!