• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Super Soldier Collection

204 posts in this topic

I agree because I might be trying to BIN a book before I have time to review the whole stock just so I don't loose out. Also, if I buy online how long will I have to wait before I know that my purchase is confirmed as its going to be a mad house on the floor? Someone bring a camera because I bet there will be people climbing over each other to purchase books.

I don't understand why everyone assumes this will be a feeding frenzy... If it is I would imagine the books are priced too low...? Can't imagine the consignor would be into that instead of your typical auction format..?

Because a lot of Timely books rarely come up for sale.This collection promises to have complete, or almost complete, runs of most Timely titles; therefore, issues that people need/want will be readily available. With rare books like these there are many buyers who will just hit BIN's even if the price is high. The less rare and overpriced books will likely sit for awhile until they are sent to auction or there prices are lowered.The mad house will be early and quick for the really rare stuff.

I imagine 5:30 will be a pretty chaotic time. That's right when they open the doors to let the teaming hoards in, and Metro's booth is usually located right by a set of doors. Might be hard for some dealers, as well, as they might want to be at their booths when the doors open.

I hope this works out well for Metro, but I could see some problems coming out of this format. What if someone at SDCC is holding a book, trying to let a Metro employee know that they want it, only to find that the BIN was hit online while they were trying to get someone's attention? Might be some hard feelings.

And just the physical congestion that is going to occur at the booth. While that might be good publicity, it could quickly degenerate into something resembling that scene in "Trading Places" where Dan Akroyd and Eddie Murphy are buying and selling futures. Imagine thirty, forty, fifty, or more people jockeying for position, trying to look at 250 comics, and yelling, "I'll take this!"

I hope this works out well for Metro, but I could see some problems coming out of this format. What if someone at SDCC is holding a book, trying to let a Metro employee know that they want it, only to find that the BIN was hit online while they were trying to get someone's attention? Might be some hard feelings.

And just the physical congestion that is going to occur at the booth. While that might be good publicity, it could quickly degenerate into something resembling that scene in "Trading Places" where Dan Akroyd and Eddie Murphy are buying and selling futures. Imagine thirty, forty, fifty, or more people jockeying for position, trying to look at 250 comics, and yelling, "I'll take this!"

"Sell! Sell!"

"Buy! Buy!"

Pork bellies and comic books - an interesting comparison! Guaranteed to be lots of porky bellies squeezed into a very narrow killing zone by the Metro booth. Thank God my porky belly wont be one of them.

Metro's BIN doesnt seem to work like Ebay's - or does it? Seems to me you have to complete the whole transaction before the sale is confirmed.

Type faster lads!

Vin told me they will have a computer right there connected to the inventory, and if the book is available "live" then it can be sold at sdcc and it will be updated as sold on the site....if someone hits the site and buys it, even if it is in the hand/inquiry of a live potential buyer (while they check the computer), then they will tell them it has "sold"

given that there are 250 or so books, and only 3 metro folks there to handle requests, clearly the advantage belongs to the internet buyer ,so my buying strategy is obvious...

I will buy it on line then walk over after the dust settles and "settle up" (thumbs u

I know a few have mentioned this already, but i think it best if Metro would at least post what books are available and maybe the grades as a bonus. Maybe leave out the prices until the actual date of the sale. This way as a buyer, I can plan ahead and make decisions on which book(s) I would like to buy and which one(s) I can afford. It would be interesting on how this would go for sure on Wed.

I know a few have mentioned this already, but i think it best if Metro would at least post what books are available and maybe the grades as a bonus. Maybe leave out the prices until the actual date of the sale. This way as a buyer, I can plan ahead and make decisions on which book(s) I would like to buy and which one(s) I can afford. It would be interesting on how this would go for sure on Wed.

+1 (or however many have already seconded this motion)

I just can't see a downside to at least listing the comics with or without grades. (shrug)

Great minds think alike! I couldn't agree more (thumbs u

"I feel releasing a list of the books, even if it doesn't inclue prices or grades, would be advantageous for metro and the buyers. Otherwise it will be a mad house. This way buyers can make thier own "wtb" list and ask for specific books rather than trying to figure out what books are included in this 250 book collection while books they may want are being sold. Just my 2c

Either way it will be exciting to see this great collection come to market"

The latest information I have is that preview night starts at 6:00 PM PST (when doors open); I wonder how this is going to play out with Metro's plan now to start the sale simultaneously at 5:30 PM PST. This could end up looking like the ill-fated '79 Who concert in Cincinatti where folks got crushed trying to gain entry! (shrug)

Preview night has always officially started at 6pm, but they usually open the doors at 5:30. Still, if Metro starts selling books at 5:30, most people will still be in line waiting to get in, except those lucky few with exhibitor passes. I think a lot of people will be viewing the website or calling Metro's office in NY.

Preview night has always officially started at 6pm, but they usually open the doors at 5:30. Still, if Metro starts selling books at 5:30, most people will still be in line waiting to get in, except those lucky few with exhibitor passes. I think a lot of people will be viewing the website or calling Metro's office in NY.
the other problem is for folks like me that have to man their booths, will I be shut out completely (shrug)

the other problem is for folks like me that have to man their booths, will I be shut out completely (shrug)

Buy me a ticket - I'll man your booth (the 10% discounts are on me folks! :acclaim: )

The more I consider the logistical nightmare that this poses the less I like it. hm

Too many variables and the prospect for hard feelings does concern me. With so many interested parties trying to crowd in, phone in or buy on-line simultaneously this could easily become a train wreck of mammoth proportions, especially if any aspect of this sale gets bogged down due to folks trying to gain access at the same moment in time. (shrug)