• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

tth2's trip down memory lane

587 posts in this topic

I really like the cover to the early Atom books. That's my favorite Gil Kane from the early 60s.

I am enjoying the stories behind the books so please continue. :wishluck:

showcase36.jpg

"When I get to the PCs, when I get to the JLAs, then you will see many perfectly centered books. There is not a doubt in my mind that the PC OO picked books off the shelf using great centering as his main criteria."

Tim, I don't think the OO of the Pacific Coast Collection picked the books off the shelf!

Tom

Continuing on, here are the rest of the Showcase Atoms.

Showcase #35. Another Western Penn beauty. This is one of my favorite SA DC covers and totally underrated in my opinion. Gil Kane was definitely one of the best at DC when it came to drawing dynamic scenes.

showcase35.jpg

And now here's Showcase #34, a biggie and generally a real crowd pleaser. I picked this up in 2003 from Mark Wilson. The colors on this copy just pop, and in my opinion is structurally better than the Western Penn copy (also CGC 9.4), which I passed over when Tom Hanlin offered it to me and then when he put it up on Heritage. The interesting thing is that it was never identified as coming from any known collection or pedigree, but I noticed that recently it came up for sale on Pedigree and was identified as the Slobodian copy. How it was identified as such, I don't know.

showcase34.jpg

Just as an aside, 2003 was a phenomenal year collecting-wise. In that single year, I acquired the Showcase #34, a 9.4 GL #1, a 9.4 Adventure #247, the first three issues of the Western Penn B&B Hawkman run, and a big chunk of the Western Penn Flash run. I've never had a year like it since. :(

That looks like production defect (where the black ink is missing in some spots) and if so, CGC might not downgrade for it as much as you'd like them to.

The scan doesn't really convey how worn the spine looked. Trust me, if you saw the book in person you'd agree with me.

Wait until we get to the worst 9.4 I've ever owned! lol

I really like the cover to the early Atom books. That's my favorite Gil Kane from the early 60s.

I'm a bit partial to his GL work, but it was all pretty darn good! (thumbs u

That looks like production defect (where the black ink is missing in some spots) and if so, CGC might not downgrade for it as much as you'd like them to.

The scan doesn't really convey how worn the spine looked. Trust me, if you saw the book in person you'd agree with me.

don't be dissing anything you sold to me (tsk)

Continuing on, here are the rest of the Showcase Atoms.

Showcase #35. Another Western Penn beauty. This is one of my favorite SA DC covers and totally underrated in my opinion. Gil Kane was definitely one of the best at DC when it came to drawing dynamic scenes.

showcase35.jpg

And now here's Showcase #34, a biggie and generally a real crowd pleaser. I picked this up in 2003 from Mark Wilson. The colors on this copy just pop, and in my opinion is structurally better than the Western Penn copy (also CGC 9.4), which I passed over when Tom Hanlin offered it to me and then when he put it up on Heritage. The interesting thing is that it was never identified as coming from any known collection or pedigree, but I noticed that recently it came up for sale on Pedigree and was identified as the Slobodian copy. How it was identified as such, I don't know.

showcase34.jpg

Just as an aside, 2003 was a phenomenal year collecting-wise. In that single year, I acquired the Showcase #34, a 9.4 GL #1, a 9.4 Adventure #247, the first three issues of the Western Penn B&B Hawkman run, and a big chunk of the Western Penn Flash run. I've never had a year like it since. :(

(worship) - seen them before but still :o

I'm a bit partial to his GL work, but it was all pretty darn good! (thumbs u

Gil's GL work starting in 1966 is one of the high points of his career.

I only prefer Atom for the early 60s.

don't be dissing anything you sold to me (tsk)

lol

I've only ever sold primo stuff to you! :angel:

Really interesting thread, Tim.

When I look through my CGC books I tend to recall the acquiring process. Our books mean so much more than just a bunch of buys!

This long goodbye process is probably an ideal way to let these great books go!

As a fellow DC collector I am fascinated by the choices of titles you collected. What led you to these?

Even more so, with such a stunning collection what made you decide to keep your Legion books over the rest? Was it simply because you own the Bethlehem #247 or do Legion books have some greater significance to you, say, from your childhood collecting?

Looking forward to seeing lots more day by day!

Since I was actually organized enough to do a group shot of the Atoms before I sold them, here's what the books look like all in one place.

But what made you sell them so soon after going through all the effort of acquiring them?

???

And... this thread is just amazing. I've been busy with stuff other than comics for the past couple of months so taking the time to go through these killer books was just what the doctor ordered.