• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

tth2's trip down memory lane

587 posts in this topic

i see 9.6's graded these days that don't look this good. quite a few of them, in fact

Old label, baby! :cloud9:

If people wonder why I have such a fetish for old label books and so firmly believe that CGC was generally tougher in the old days, the various books I've been posting (except for the Atom 4) are Exhibit A. I'm sure a fair percentage of these books would grade higher (certainly with higher PQ) if they were resubbed today, even without any manipulation.

Tim;

Fantastic idea for a thread! (thumbs u

I look forward to seeing the rest of your books even though I consider myself extremely lucky to have seen some of them in person on my first first trip to HK a few years ago. :cloud9:

Thanks Dean. The irony is that only 4 people have actually seen most of the collection in person when it was still intact, and none of them really cared! 2 of them are my wife and daughter, and they don't care about comics at all. The other 2 were you and Gene/delekkerste, and in your case it was "oh, just a bunch of Silver Age" and in Gene's case it was "oh, just comic books, don't you have any original art?".

Tim:

It's always a bit tricky when you are there with the wives as you always have to walk a fine line! :P

You have to be interested enough so that they won't get bored to death and on the other hand, you have to damper your enthusiasm, otherwise, they'll probably want to sell every single one of your books upon returning back home. Especially since she is Chinese which means she believes in real estate which has always been the old Asian standby when it comes to a "solid" investment

And now we begin the Western Penn Flash run, which I acquired in early 2003.

First case in point is the Flash 150. The green cover looks good in the scan, but the book positively glows in person.

Next up is Flash 149. You'd think that a book from 1964 with a cover that has a lot of black would be really hard to find in NM, let alone 9.8, but surprisingly, this is one of the most common issues in NM or above, with 3 copies at 9.8 in the Census and 10 9.4 copies. I've never known why this book survived in great shape in such great numbers. Nonetheless, the Western Penn copy with its unblemished blacks still stands out.

Nonetheless, I'm astonished to see DC's from late 1964 in 9.6 let alone 9.8.

:applause:

Tim, awesome thread and amazing books mate.

I'm hoping there are more to come!

Thanks!

Many more to come--we're not even at the halfway point yet!

And to think, these are the books you decided NOT to keep....wow. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Continuing on with the Western Penn goodness...

The Western Penn Flash run from the late 130s through the 140s is really staggering. They're almost all 9.6s or 9.8s, unpressed.

Here's another 9.8. I actually owned a 9.6 copy already at the time I bought this, which I had purchased from Robert Roter off eBay. I thought the 9.6 copy was sweet, but it was blown away by this baby.

flash148.jpg

Flash #147--a "mere" 9.6. An appearance of Reverse Flash, which apparently is a highly coveted thing. Still not sure why, as I'll discuss when I post the #139, but I'm glad it was the case when I was selling!

flash147.jpg

The Western Penn Flash run from the late 130s through the 140s is really staggering.

Magnificent! That was also when Carmine Infantino was at his peak when it came to Flash covers.

(thumbs u

flash150.jpg

Damn what a smoker you have there.

I've always loved Captain Cold. Particularly covers.

Ridiculously nice and quite a treat to see given how impressive the Infantino/Andersonart is! :applause:

I'm just getting caught up with this thread. These are some amazing books. Hard to believe you let them go.

The Western Penn Flash run from the late 130s through the 140s is really staggering.

Magnificent! That was also when Carmine Infantino was at his peak when it came to Flash covers.

(thumbs u

Unfortunately, or, fortunately for me, I ended up with 131, but it is definitely not up to par at 9.0.

Continuing on with the Western Penn goodness...

The Western Penn Flash run from the late 130s through the 140s is really staggering. They're almost all 9.6s or 9.8s, unpressed.

Here's another 9.8. I actually owned a 9.6 copy already at the time I bought this, which I had purchased from Robert Roter off eBay. I thought the 9.6 copy was sweet, but it was blown away by this baby.

flash148.jpg

Great looking books Tim but man DC could use some -script writing skills. doh! "Boomerang-bridge that will blast off and circle the earth". meh Oh the humanity.

Great looking books Tim but man DC could use some -script writing skills. doh! "Boomerang-bridge that will blast off and circle the earth". meh Oh the humanity.

It's actually the campiness of SA DC that I love. A simpler time and place. :cloud9:

Leading off today with Flash #146, which, at a "mere" 9.4, is one of the runts of the litter among the Western Penns in the 140s. :P Beautiful book with a lustrous purple background.

flash146.jpg

Back to crazy mindblowing books, here's #145. Not much to say, really.

flash145.jpg

If anyone has a scan of the Western Penn Flash #144, I would most appreciate if they could PM a scan to me. I stupidly didn't keep a scan when I traded it to Mark Wilson for his 9.6 copy, and would love to post a copy of it in this thread. I've tried to track down a scan from the likeliest sources, but no one seems to have an individual scan of the book. :wishluck:

It's actually the campiness of SA DC that I love. A simpler time and place. :cloud9:

Actually, you have it backwards. In general Julie insisted on scientific plausibility for his plots and the DC Sci Fi titles and even Flash included 2 - 4 pages of illustrated explanations of scientific terms and concepts. You can learn quite a bit from reading DC comics. (thumbs u