• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Larry's Comics at it again...

509 posts in this topic

Look, it all comes down to this. Many people are greatly offended this type of racist rhetoric. It doesn't matter whether you think they should or shouldn't be. It is not for you, me, or anyone else to say how African Americans should feel about the N-word being tossed or fried chicken references.

What matters is many people are offended by it and that alone should be respected.

If there were an insulting slur for the surviving victims of 9/11 and Larry used that slur, would you feel differently?

nope

I'm not sure you and RMA are saying the same thing though. You are saying Larry is a spoon for saying what he said, as far as I can tell RMA is saying we're the spoons for not congratulating Larry for it.

Not that RMA needs me (or anyone else, for that matter) to speak or stand up for him in any way whatsoever (he's more than capable of handling such things all by himself), but I have to say that it's pretty damn obvious that this is absolutely not what he said.

Not even close.

He can post what he wants on his Twitter. It's his feed.

However, someone who is trying to sell things to the public needs to be more careful about the image they are portraying.

If I was an employee of his, I'd be hopping mad because chances are he's going to lose customers due to this. Less customers means I may be closer to losing my job. As an owner of a shop where people work for him and rely on his shop staying afloat and doing good sales, he's got to be more responsible with his actions.

This isn't a single person making offensive statements. This is a person who owns a business who has people who work for him that depend on him to run a good shop.

If anything, for them, he needs to keep comments like that to himself.

i could care less, more people should start to speak their minds instead of being so afraid of political correctness that stymies independent though regardless if it is right or wrong.

First of all, it's "couldn't care less," dingus.

Second of all, there is a HUUUGE difference between speaking one's mind and being a complete maroon. (Larry was doing the latter.)

Third of all, no one should paint Larry's comments with a brush of roguish, anti-political correctness and wit. It gives him way to much credit.

+1

WAY too much credit.

This wasn't the private rantings of some brilliant satirist. It was the PUBLIC rantings of an insensitive bigot.

The kinds of stereotypes he used are the same kinds of things people think and say who would LYNCH and MURDER blacks in the south, less than 50 YEARS ago.

The actions that took place behind those kind of thoughts isn't funny. It's one of the most embarrassing parts of American history.

And the idea that he was being controversial to drum up business is absurd.

He'll lose business and respect over this from more than just African-Americans.

+1

Kind of reminds me of what happened to Jimmy the Greek. Except for the fact that this Larry guy is a nobody in comparison.

Wouldn't the world be such a better place if people didn't react to generic comments based on something as arbitrary as gender, or skin color, or ethnicity...?

Call someone an idjit because they, personally, are an idjit, fine. But to react because someone made fun of my race..? How terribly lazy and amatuer of them, and incredibly immature of me.

Which minority group do you belong to?

Really? I'm all SORTS of things that people make fun of. Are you saying that it is absolutely beyond my ability to control myself and my emotions that I MUST react when someone says something stupid about a group I belong to that isn't directed at me personally...?

Like what kind of things? I'm pretty sure everybody can grasp at straws and find something that people can make fun of. I don't think being called 4 eyes for wearing glasses is the same thing as being persecuted over skin color or sexual orientation for instance. And i'm sorry, to use cracker as an example of something you should be offended by but aren't b/c you're above it is the lamest way of underplaying the struggles of blacks. No sugar coating needed. That's what we're talking about. As if to suggest that being called cracker in the good old USofA holds any kind of similar relevance to say, the "n" word is the sloppiest, most grotesque argument i've seen in awhile on here. Beyond lame and only something that a white person who doesn't know real persecution could come up with to downplay the real suffering of others.

I don't think being called 4 eyes for wearing glasses is the same thing as being persecuted over skin color or sexual orientation for instance.
Bubbles :cloud9:

When we stop being offended by words, words will stop being offensive.

This is a slight oversimplication.

Words are tethered to their connotations with slightly more depth.

Nevertheless, it remains true.

"You stupid cracker!" <---generally a racist comment.

Yeah?

And?

How does that hurt me?

If it was said to your grandmother as she was spit on for walking on the sidewalk, or to your ancestors as they were beaten and sold as livestock, hung from trees, tarred and feathered, and more recently denied residence outside a predefined area, then it might hurt a little more.

Notice the emphases.

It is not the words that are the problem.

The word is more than a word. It is a term, at one time the common term for an ethnicity that was considered less than people. I can understand how it can leave people a little touchy, considering many are still feeling the effects. It is completely not the same as calling a white guy "cracker."

I reject that concept. A word only has the power that the listener gives it. "Considered less than people"...by whom? Everyone? Of course not. Does the fact that evil people use a tool for evil make the tool itself evil?

And I say that as a white guy who grew up the ONLY white guy in a Mexican neighborhood and was tormented all through middle school solely because of the color of my skin. Probably effected my life in a negative and irreversible manner. It's still not the same.

If there were an insulting slur for the surviving victims of 9/11 and Larry used that slur, would you feel differently?

No, of course not. Larry's words were meant to be inflammatory, and he got the reaction he wanted. My question is simply this: why do we keep need to give him that reaction?

nope

I'm not sure you and RMA are saying the same thing though. You are saying Larry is a spoon for saying what he said, as far as I can tell RMA is saying we're the spoons for not congratulating Larry for it.

You could not have it more wrong. :makepoint:

I'm saying you're (whoever the "you" is that you're referring to) all spoons for giving Larry precisely the reaction he was looking for. The handwringing, the "OMG, what a jerk!", the drama.

And look, here we all are, talking about Larry.

Imagine that.

When we stop being offended by words, words will stop being offensive.

This is a slight oversimplication.

Words are tethered to their connotations with slightly more depth.

Nevertheless, it remains true.

"You stupid cracker!" <---generally a racist comment.

Yeah?

And?

How does that hurt me?

If it was said to your grandmother as she was spit on for walking on the sidewalk, or to your ancestors as they were beaten and sold as livestock, hung from trees, tarred and feathered, and more recently denied residence outside a predefined area, then it might hurt a little more.

Notice the emphases.

It is not the words that are the problem.

The word is more than a word. It is a term, at one time the common term for an ethnicity that was considered less than people. I can understand how it can leave people a little touchy, considering many are still feeling the effects. It is completely not the same as calling a white guy "cracker."

I reject that concept. A word only has the power that the listener gives it. "Considered less than people"...by whom? Everyone? Of course not. Does the fact that evil people use a tool for evil make the tool itself evil?

And I say that as a white guy who grew up the ONLY white guy in a Mexican neighborhood and was tormented all through middle school solely because of the color of my skin. Probably effected my life in a negative and irreversible manner. It's still not the same.

No, of course not. Larry's words were meant to be inflammatory, and he got the reaction he wanted. My question is simply this: why do we keep need to give him that reaction?

What reaction do you suggest?

nope

You could not have it more wrong. :makepoint:

I'm saying you're (whoever the "you" is that you're referring to) all spoons for giving Larry precisely the reaction he was looking for. The handwringing, the "OMG, what a jerk!", the drama.

And look, here we all are, talking about Larry.

Imagine that.

I'm sure it's exactly what he wanted. A bunch of people vowing never to purchase from him again.