• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comics You personally can't Understand Cost So Much

682 posts in this topic

I really need someone to explain to me why Daredevil #168 is close to $1,000 (and sometimes over) at a 9.8.

First issue Miller was writer / artist on. First appearance of a popular character...what more do you need? hm

I know why it's significant, but it's really abundant, and a lot of them are in pretty decent condition. Therefore, I can see 9.8 at around $500ish, but not $1,000ish.

See, now this I don't understand. This isn't Werewolf By Night #32....this is the first appearance of what was at the time a super hot character. This is Frank Miller...one of the biggest influences and major players in the comicbook biz in the last 30 years just starting to strut his stuff. You obviously understand why it's an important book, so it's just the dollars that bug you?

frank Miller doesnt pull the weight he used to.

Daredevil never held the popularity of that era.

Elektra became a total joke.

These are the reasons why it is over priced. Also that there are people with longboxes of the book. They will not flood the market, but keep a steady stream.

I really need someone to explain to me why Daredevil #168 is close to $1,000 (and sometimes over) at a 9.8.

First issue Miller was writer / artist on. First appearance of a popular character...what more do you need? hm

I know why it's significant, but it's really abundant, and a lot of them are in pretty decent condition. Therefore, I can see 9.8 at around $500ish, but not $1,000ish.

See, now this I don't understand. This isn't Werewolf By Night #32....this is the first appearance of what was at the time a super hot character. This is Frank Miller...one of the biggest influences and major players in the comicbook biz in the last 30 years just starting to strut his stuff. You obviously understand why it's an important book, so it's just the dollars that bug you?

These are the reasons why it is over priced. Also that there are people with longboxes of the book. They will not flood the market, but keep a steady stream.

why complain about CGC 9.8 being at $1K? just be happy with a CGC 9.4. (shrug)

1k can get a lot of decent books. I wouldn't personally spend it on a 9.8 DD #168. Id be fine with a 9.4. IMHO that is a abnormally high price. But there are a lot of frank miller fans and also a lot of Elektra fans. It's a popular book, so some people are willing to pay premium.

1k can get a lot of decent books. I wouldn't personally spend it on a 9.8 DD #168. Id be fine with a 9.4. IMHO that is a abnormally high price. But there are a lot of frank miller fans and also a lot of Elektra fans. It's a popular book, so some people are willing to pay premium.

I agree. There isn't THAT much of a difference between 9.4 and 9.8

I was just adding this to the discussion. I have a copy already, but it's not CGC'd.

I think you're looking at it out of context. He couldn't understand why it cost so much, so I explained why ;)

Again, it's supply AND demand. You're arguing from the supply side of the equation only.

Miller may not pull the same weight, but his DD run does. And despite DD not being as popular now, the Miller run ranks among the elite runs.

I gotta agree with Logan above. (shrug)

Maybe if they see us complain about the prices enough, they'll gradually come down.........probably not. :(

Prices HAVE come down...substantially...

And I'm not talking about the 2009-2010 "correction", though that certainly plays a part.

Prices are lower for almost everything than they were in "the mid 90's", except for high grade, keys, and Golden Age.

That may sound ludicrous on the surface, but remember what board we're posting on.....

Oh, and nobody really cares that DD #168 is Frank Miller's first writing.

They really don't.

The book is valuable because it introduces Elektra, who was about the most kickass female character introduction in the entire Marvel U up to that point.

Where Frank Miller's writing starts to matter is Ronin, then DD #227-233, then Dark Knight. Then Year One. Then Sin City. Then 300.

And that's about it.

then DD #227-233

<3

"I will show him that a man without hope is a man without fear". :applause:

I could post 1,000 posts on the greatness that is Born Again.

It is the greatest Daredevil story ever told, ever. It nails Matt Murdock with scalpel precision, introduces plot elements that are still "borrowed" to this day, and makes the Kingpin into a real badass, and not the fat, impotent goon he'd been up to at that time.

"Nothing said "gangster" about this until now. Your work was perfect, Kingpin. You shouldn't have signed it."

Greatest DD story ever told.

Ever.

Bendis can suck it.

It's my favorite comic story ever. Can you believe that DD 228 was one of the first comics I ever read? I still get chills every time I read that trade. No other comic story has done that to me.

There are few stories that capture the absolute essence of a character like Miller did with DD in Born Again.

Maybe Bats in Year One. Maybe.

Definitely Joker in Killing Joke.

Certainly Swamp Thing in American Gothic.

Perhaps Spidey in Deaths of Green Goblin and Gwen Stacy.

The Thing in "This Man, This Monster."

That's about it.

Greatest DD story ever told.

Ever.

Bendis can suck it.

It's my favorite comic story ever. Can you believe that DD 228 was one of the first comics I ever read? I still get chills every time I read that trade. No other comic story has done that to me.

I got chills quoting the last lines from #227 just now...

I thought Miller's writing was great from 170-191... (shrug)

But I agree, it's not Miller's writing that drives that part of his body of work.

It was VERY good, certainly far better than Wolfman and Michelinie had been doing for the several years before that.

But he was still learning. His greatest act was still to come.

It is the greatest Daredevil story ever told, ever. It nails Matt Murdock with scalpel precision, introduces plot elements that are still "borrowed" to this day, and makes the Kingpin into a real badass, and not the fat, impotent goon he'd been up to at that time.

"Nothing said "gangster" about this until now. Your work was perfect, Kingpin. You shouldn't have signed it."

+1

I can't put into words how I feel about "Born Again". As corny as it may sound, I thought about that story, and in particular issue 228, during the stickiest times of my childhood. My childhood copy was coverless by the time I was done with it.

makes the Kingpin into a real badass, and not the fat, impotent goon he'd been up to at that time.

That man to man showdown should be shown to all boys aged 14, to help the process of puberty along.