• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comics You personally can't Understand Cost So Much

682 posts in this topic

Adventure Comics #210 - First Krypto the Superdog.

Close to $300 for some beater copies. Damn.

That's the ironic kitsch factor kicking in. Or something. It is a scarce book but it's not as if there are many collectors who actually care about the character. lol

He has a cartoon. Or did?

i didnt read through the whole 19 pages, so if im just repeating others posts i apologize ahead of time, but for me its af 15...listen i get it, its the first appearance of spiderman so on and so forth but the book is so common. every show i see one in almost every other booth yet its getting real close to getting tec 27 and action 1 money.

The book has great demand.Spider-man is far the popular character in the CGC world. If you look at the GPAnalysis he outsells everybody else 2 to 1. Batman doesn`t even come up on Spidey`s radar when it comes to the sales of CGC comic sold.

Spidey is a market to himself.

i do understand that but theres a great supply to af15 as well. you can take these boards as an example, see how many boardies have an af 15 and how many have tec 27 or action 1. Again, i dont debate the significance of the book or its popularity, it just baffles me on how high it sells with so many copies available in every grade there is.

on the census there are over 1500 af 15 graded by cgc compared to 49 of tec 27...the last 8.0 tec sold for 1,075,000 and the last 9.6 of af 15 sold for 1,100,000...both are the highest grade in the census with there being only 1 of af 15 in 9.6 and 2 of tec 27 in 8.0, but if i had that money i would personally take the tec 27 if i had to choose just because i could show it off and have confidence no one nearby will have a copy...i dont know im just ranting now but the af 15 just seems to expensive for a book that almost everybody seems to have.

I see your point, but lets look at Spidey`s demand factor.

It`s about supply and demand. AF#15 is the most sold and demanded book. If there was less copies of AF#15 it would go for much more money. If you look at the CGC census there are under 1000 copies unrestored. So 1000 unrestored copies for millions of Spidey fans make it cost a good price.

Iron Fist #14 First Sabretooth. Seriously??? What a frikkin joke.

Astonishing Tales #25- Character no longer in use. (I think).

Yeah I agree with IF #14. I mean I understand for the rare price variant, but for the regular standard issue? Uhh Sabretooth is dead and has been dead for a few years now. I just don't get why the book is still going as much as it is for a dead character.

And for AT #25, Deathlok has been in Uncanny X-Force recently, but yeah...he isn't THAT popular to command such a price. Who knows.

Iron Fist #14 First Sabretooth. Seriously??? What a frikkin joke.

Astonishing Tales #25- Character no longer in use. (I think).

Yeah I agree with IF #14. I mean I understand for the rare price variant, but for the regular standard issue? Uhh Sabretooth is dead and has been dead for a few years now. I just don't get why the book is still going as much as it is for a dead character.

And for AT #25, Deathlok has been in Uncanny X-Force recently, but yeah...he isn't THAT popular to command such a price. Who knows.

Sabretooth is dead?

Yep. Wolverine #55 (I think). Logan decapitated ol' Sabes with Masamune (a sword forged with metal that deactivates healing factors). Jeph Loeb wrote the storyline....so that should tell you all you need to know.

Adventure Comics #210 - First Krypto the Superdog.

Close to $300 for some beater copies. Damn.

That's the ironic kitsch factor kicking in. Or something. It is a scarce book but it's not as if there are many collectors who actually care about the character. lol

Are there any? lol

Every variant ever made.

Agreed. Seriously, that stupid Danger Girls variant recently went for over $900.00 on ebay. NINE HUNDRED DOLLARS! What am I missing? Are the contents of the book different? Does this cover hold some special significance? Did Jeffery Scott Campbell come to the guy's house, draw the issue in front of him and print it on his portable press? WHY?

Because someone wanted it. I bet what you collect sucks, too.

Great answer. Did the variant cover collector get his feelings hurt? And yes, I'm sure a lot of what I collect sucks. The difference is if I'm going to pay $900.00 for something it's going to be a nice piece of original art, not a variation of something that would otherwise have very little worth.

21 pages is a long thread to go through, so I'm sure I'm repeating many that have been mentioned.

Any variant,and 35 cent variants in particular. Seriously, paying that much more for a small difference on the cover? Yeah, yeah, I know some are rare, but I don't get it. .

IF 14 and GL 76. I'd like to have them, but yikes.

Anything and everything in the ulta-high/9.8 grade range. Doubling, tripling, quadrupling, whatever-ing the price for a debatable and largely subjective .2 bump in grade from CGC? I don't get it, especially when dealing with otherwise mundane books. Maybe if you are dealing with the highest graded copy of a key, it makes some sense, but paying astronomical prices to own the highest graded copy of a common non-key book seems insane.

Books that seem underpriced to me:

Captain America Comics 1 and All-Star Comics 8. Expensive, but they still seen bargains all things considered.

Daredevil 1 and X-men 1 are also pricey books, but still seem low when compared to others of similar importance, age and rarity.

Every variant ever made.

Agreed. Seriously, that stupid Danger Girls variant recently went for over $900.00 on ebay. NINE HUNDRED DOLLARS! What am I missing? Are the contents of the book different? Does this cover hold some special significance? Did Jeffery Scott Campbell come to the guy's house, draw the issue in front of him and print it on his portable press? WHY?

It's a completely different cover from the regular, it's extraordinarily suggestive, and it's incredibly rare.

That's why.

Variants really shouldn't be a part of this thread. They are manufactured collectibles, with a few exceptions, and play by a slightly different set of rules than a "regular" comic.

Oh gosh, a completely different cover you say. Well that changes everything. Look, I don't begrudge people their enjoyment of collecting variant covers, I'm calling out an instance where a variant cover of an otherwise inexpensive comic has sold for close to 1K. It does not matter how rare this is, that price is nuts and I don't personally understand that (which is the very title of the thread).

Night Nurse 1-4 ? (shrug)
Definitely a niche market - low supply, low demand. These came out during my 'silver-age' when I was buying everything Marvel produced......, except Night Nurse, the reprints, and the horror titles.

Yep. Wolverine #55 (I think). Logan decapitated ol' Sabes with Masamune (a sword forged with metal that deactivates healing factors). Jeph Loeb wrote the storyline....so that should tell you all you need to know.
The variant cover is great. Homage to CS 22! :headbang:

i didnt read through the whole 19 pages, so if im just repeating others posts i apologize ahead of time, but for me its af 15...listen i get it, its the first appearance of spiderman so on and so forth but the book is so common. every show i see one in almost every other booth yet its getting real close to getting tec 27 and action 1 money.

The book has great demand.Spider-man is far the popular character in the CGC world. If you look at the GPAnalysis he outsells everybody else 2 to 1. Batman doesn`t even come up on Spidey`s radar when it comes to the sales of CGC comic sold.

Spidey is a market to himself.

i do understand that but theres a great supply to af15 as well. you can take these boards as an example, see how many boardies have an af 15 and how many have tec 27 or action 1. Again, i dont debate the significance of the book or its popularity, it just baffles me on how high it sells with so many copies available in every grade there is.

on the census there are over 1500 af 15 graded by cgc compared to 49 of tec 27...the last 8.0 tec sold for 1,075,000 and the last 9.6 of af 15 sold for 1,100,000...both are the highest grade in the census with there being only 1 of af 15 in 9.6 and 2 of tec 27 in 8.0, but if i had that money i would personally take the tec 27 if i had to choose just because i could show it off and have confidence no one nearby will have a copy...i dont know im just ranting now but the af 15 just seems to expensive for a book that almost everybody seems to have.

I see your point, but lets look at Spidey`s demand factor.

It`s about supply and demand. AF#15 is the most sold and demanded book. If there was less copies of AF#15 it would go for much more money. If you look at the CGC census there are under 1000 copies unrestored. So 1000 unrestored copies for millions of Spidey fans make it cost a good price.

(thumbs u

Supply AND demand. Not just supply. Not just demand.