• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comics You personally can't Understand Cost So Much

682 posts in this topic

Night Nurse

What's so important about this run? She is just a nurse (shrug)

you need to bone up on your retcons- she's extracted Peter Parker from the birth canal

Still a lame character. Nobody can tell me a really good reason why he collects those issues. The story can't be that good.

It's a goofy, kitschy soap opera set in a NYC hospital and the 1970s nurses still wear little white hats.

The earnest attemtps at being socially relevant are hilarious and entertaining.

In the last issue, one of them goes to work in a haunted mansion...and she's a redhead...wearing a little white hat!

:cloud9:

Night Nurse 1-4 ? (shrug)
Definitely a niche market - low supply, low demand. These came out during my 'silver-age' when I was buying everything Marvel produced......, except Night Nurse, the reprints, and the horror titles.

I remember one of the OS Advisors pimping this book repeatedly in the circa-1990 guides and updates.

Eventually it seemed to morph into a case of 'if he's gotta have it, I've gotta have it too'

I can't believe what OSPG has listed on this title :screwy: Sometimes I think some of this is a self-fulfilling prophecy...., like you mention with the OSPG Advisors. It seems like in the 90's, you could put an ad in CBG for some obscure, little collected title, and then in the next OSPG, the values would double, even though I never saw any activity on the title - I suppose because 'people were looking for it now.' I know that's not how it is supposed to work, but I have my suspicions.

Sorry Mike but I'll disagree with this if that's ok! :boo:

I think Overstreet had this undervalued for so long because there were so few sales for them to go by because it is a tough book to find in HG. Pre-internet, if one of the 20 or so so-called 'advisors' didn't have any recorded sales of the book (because they didn't have any in stock) then the prices would stagnate.

Once Ebay and the like came around, more books came to market and we could see it's true value.

There is a small but strong group of collectors for these kinds of books, Night Nurse, Petey, Homer, Romance, Millie, etc......

And to label us as collectors of these books because 'someone else wants it' is a little short-sighted and not giving enough credit.

+1

Basically what i was typing as you were typing. I just didnt say it as eloquently (thumbs u

You can disagree all you want - I'm okay with that :banana:

There are couple of nice CGC copies over in GA/SA/BA - we'll see if they get any action.

Anything and everything in the ulta-high/9.8 grade range. Doubling, tripling, quadrupling, whatever-ing the price for a debatable and largely subjective .2 bump in grade from CGC? I don't get it, especially when dealing with otherwise mundane books. Maybe if you are dealing with the highest graded copy of a key, it makes some sense, but paying astronomical prices to own the highest graded copy of a common non-key book seems insane.

+1

Yes, this is definitely by far the most overvalued part of the entire comic book market! (thumbs u

This part of the market is really nothing more than a house of cards that is bound to implode eventually. This part of the market has absolutely nothing at all to do with the underlying comic book itself as it is all about money and chasing after the CGC label.

Once the speculators are gone or have moved onto something else, the bubble will burst and prices will collaspe as this end of the market is all about the love of money and nothing at all to do about the love of the comic books themselves. hm

Anything and everything in the ulta-high/9.8 grade range. Doubling, tripling, quadrupling, whatever-ing the price for a debatable and largely subjective .2 bump in grade from CGC? I don't get it, especially when dealing with otherwise mundane books. Maybe if you are dealing with the highest graded copy of a key, it makes some sense, but paying astronomical prices to own the highest graded copy of a common non-key book seems insane.

+1

Yes, this is definitely by far the most overvalued part of the entire comic book market! (thumbs u

This part of the market is really nothing more than a house of cards that is bound to implode eventually. This part of the market has absolutely nothing at all to do with the underlying comic book itself as it is all about money and chasing after the CGC label.

Once the speculators are gone or have moved onto something else, the bubble will burst and prices will collaspe as this end of the market is all about the love of money and nothing at all to do about the love of the comic books themselves. hm

I disagree 100%! Yeah, there are a lot of HG collectors like that but there are also a LOT that you are DEAD wrong about!

I'm a HG collector and it has absolutely ZERO to do with money and 100% to do with the love of comics and collecting. Pretty much the only books I ever sell are undercopies when I upgrade or duplicates I have. I buy HG books and pay the "crazy" to you multiples in price because I LOVE those books from my childhood and want the absolute best copy of them that I can find and afford with no thought whatsoever of what I might be able to sell them for in the future. Sure I hope they retain their value or maybe even appreciate but if they don't, I don't care. I'll still have a beautiful copy of that book I loved as a kid or dreamed of owning as a kid.

Nothing against those that collect or like mid or low grade comics but personally, they just don't do it for me. I want those books I love to be as perfect as I can find. If I can afford them, great for me.

Maybe you didn't mean it that way but honestly I take your view and post to be offensive as hell. Just because I like and can afford some very, very nice copies of comics I love doesn't make me some money grubbing tool that doesn't care about comics or collecting rantrant

I started a thread here a few months ago about WWBN 32 being way overpriced for the 1st appearance a 2nd/3rd tier character (Moon Knight) & got ripped by about 95% of the posters. My point was the book's value was artificially inflated by an article in Wizard Magazine that told reader's to buy it now while it's still cheap. My thread started flaming against me beyond reason. This thread basically said the same thing & nobody went crazy.

I started a thread here a few months ago about WWBN 32 being way overpriced for the 1st appearance a 2nd/3rd tier character (Moon Knight) & got ripped by about 95% of the posters. My point was the book's value was artificially inflated by an article in Wizard Magazine that told reader's to buy it now while it's still cheap. My thread started flaming against me beyond reason. This thread basically said the same thing & nobody went crazy.

[font:Book Antiqua]It was full moon when you post the thread...

And yes Moon Knight is overpriced...[/font]

:eek:

Maybe said flaming suggested to you that Moon Knight has some degree of popularity. hm

I fondly remember the Moench/Sienkiewicz run from my golden age.

+1

I disagree 100%! Yeah, there are a lot of HG collectors like that but there are also a LOT that you are DEAD wrong about!

I'm a HG collector and it has absolutely ZERO to do with money and 100% to do with the love of comics and collecting. Pretty much the only books I ever sell are undercopies when I upgrade or duplicates I have. I buy HG books and pay the "crazy" to you multiples in price because I LOVE those books from my childhood and want the absolute best copy of them that I can find and afford with no thought whatsoever of what I might be able to sell them for in the future. Sure I hope they retain their value or maybe even appreciate but if they don't, I don't care. I'll still have a beautiful copy of that book I loved as a kid or dreamed of owning as a kid.

Nothing against those that collect or like mid or low grade comics but personally, they just don't do it for me. I want those books I love to be as perfect as I can find. If I can afford them, great for me.

Maybe you didn't mean it that way but honestly I take your view and post to be offensive as hell. Just because I like and can afford some very, very nice copies of comics I love doesn't make me some money grubbing tool that doesn't care about comics or collecting rantrant

You're both right.

There are collectors like yourself who really do love the books, and if you claim to love the hobby, no one is going to dispute the claim.

But there are a lot of people operating within the high grade market the way Lou describes. It clearly wasn't a "love for the books" that sent the Pacific Coast Hulk 1 back to CGC several time, downgrading it from an 8.5 to an 8.0, or the Pacific Coast X-men 14 that went from a 9.6 to a 9.2. Nor is it "love" that turns a 9.2 into a 9.6.

There are a lot of people buying on a specific model - to straight flip, or based on "potential" - and these buyers/sellers are supporting a significant portion of the market right now. It isn't sustainable in the long term, and in keeping with typical herd behavior, once a few key players exit, others will follow in droves. The books that will take the hardest hit will be non-key books in uber grades.

+1

I'm a HG collector and it has absolutely ZERO to do with money and 100% to do with the love of comics and collecting. Pretty much the only books I ever sell are undercopies when I upgrade or duplicates I have. I buy HG books and pay the "crazy" to you multiples in price because I LOVE those books from my childhood and want the absolute best copy of them that I can find and afford with no thought whatsoever of what I might be able to sell them for in the future. Sure I hope they retain their value or maybe even appreciate but if they don't, I don't care. I'll still have a beautiful copy of that book I loved as a kid or dreamed of owning as a kid.Nothing against those that collect or like mid or low grade comics but personally, they just don't do it for me. I want those books I love to be as perfect as I can find. If I can afford them, great for me.

You're both right.

There are collectors like yourself who really do love the books, and if you claim to love the hobby, no one is going to dispute the claim.

But there are a lot of people operating within the high grade market the way Lou describes. It clearly wasn't a "love for the books" that sent the Pacific Coast Hulk 1 back to CGC several time, downgrading it from an 8.5 to an 8.0, or the Pacific Coast X-men 14 that went from a 9.6 to a 9.2. Nor is it "love" that turns a 9.2 into a 9.6.

There are a lot of people buying on a specific model - to straight flip, or based on "potential" - and these buyers/sellers are supporting a significant portion of the market right now. It isn't sustainable in the long term, and in keeping with typical herd behavior, once a few key players exit, others will follow in droves. The books that will take the hardest hit will be non-key books in uber grades.

Good points by all. (thumbs u

Btw does anyone else think the Avengers and Spider-man movies that are anticipated to be big hits next year may have played a part in the higher prices?

What would concern me is what if both movies get a lukewarm response like Green Lantern did ? We got to think both the movies have been hyped since 2007 causing their markets to soar to new price heights. I would hate to the think the bubble would contract sometime in the summer of 2012 if both movies don`t set the world on fire, and are just average at best. Well I hope that doesn`t happen and they are mega hits.

:wishluck:

I really need someone to explain to me why Daredevil #168 is close to $1,000 (and sometimes over) at a 9.8.

First issue Miller was writer / artist on. First appearance of a popular character...what more do you need? hm

I really need someone to explain to me why Daredevil #168 is close to $1,000 (and sometimes over) at a 9.8.

First issue Miller was writer / artist on. First appearance of a popular character...what more do you need? hm

I know why it's significant, but it's really abundant, and a lot of them are in pretty decent condition. Therefore, I can see 9.8 at around $500ish, but not $1,000ish.

I know why it's significant, but it's really abundant, and a lot of them are in pretty decent condition. Therefore, I can see 9.8 at around $500ish, but not $1,000ish.

See, now this I don't understand. This isn't Werewolf By Night #32....this is the first appearance of what was at the time a super hot character. This is Frank Miller...one of the biggest influences and major players in the comicbook biz in the last 30 years just starting to strut his stuff. You obviously understand why it's an important book, so it's just the dollars that bug you?