• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comics You personally can't Understand Cost So Much

682 posts in this topic

What are comics that you personally can't understand why they cost so much.

I know I'll get flack for this, but I personally can't see why Adventure Comics #247 is so expensive. I know it's the first Legion, but that book goes for stupid money.

I won't give you any flack, but I am a Legion fan.

I bought this copy decades ago.

Adventure247.jpg

Back then, it wasn't so easy to find. I got it at San Diego Comic-Con.

I remember a dealer had a really tattered copy, much lower grade than this one, and he crowed that it was the only copy in the room. It turned out that his was one of two copies in the room, and I bought this one for 1/4 of his price.

Anyway, it used to be a bit scarce.

And it was a throwaway story!

The Legion wouldn't appear again for nearly another TWO YEARS!

:cloud9:

Throwaway stories.

Like that Spider-Man character that Martin Goodman didn't like, leading Stan Lee to toss the story into the last issue of cancelled title Amazing Fantasy. :cloud9:

Iron Fist #14 1st app. of Sabretooth. $100 for a high grade. Twice the amount if its the .25 cent variant. Heck Iron Fist #1 you can get for under $30. I could never understand the appeal of #14. Maybe I'm just not a Sabretooth fan.

I think comic prices should get realistic. A lot of comic characters may have justified a higher price for their 1st appearance at one time in their heyday but once that time has passed and collectors just aren't interested in the character anymore, then the price should level out with the rest of the series. The 1st appearance of J'onn J'onzz in Detective Comics #225 is ridiculously over priced. There were so many 1st appearances in Detective and other DC's around this time, I don't see what justifies the high price. He's not even shown on the cover which is terrible BTW.

And finally Det #236... Bat Tank. 1st app. of Bat Tank. Was there ever a 2nd appearance of BAT TANK? Does OS still put a question (?) mark after 1st app. of Bat Tank? Why even bother mentioning Bat Tank in OS. Heck the Flying Bat-Cave has at least 4 appearances and it doesn't even get mentioned once.

Bat Tank!

I really really really really really really really like Ant-Man!

Every variant ever made.

Agreed. Seriously, that stupid Danger Girls variant recently went for over $900.00 on ebay. NINE HUNDRED DOLLARS! What am I missing? Are the contents of the book different? Does this cover hold some special significance? Did Jeffery Scott Campbell come to the guy's house, draw the issue in front of him and print it on his portable press? WHY?

It's a completely different cover from the regular, it's extraordinarily suggestive, and it's incredibly rare.

That's why.

Variants really shouldn't be a part of this thread. They are manufactured collectibles, with a few exceptions, and play by a slightly different set of rules than a "regular" comic.

Oh gosh, a completely different cover you say.

Yes, I say.

Well that changes everything.

Great! I'm glad we see eye to eye.

Look, I don't begrudge people their enjoyment of collecting variant covers,

Sure you do. You're doing it right now.

I'm calling out an instance where a variant cover of an otherwise inexpensive comic has sold for close to 1K. It does not matter how rare this is, that price is nuts and I don't personally understand that (which is the very title of the thread).

That's fine, but it's being explained to you: RARITY. People want it = demand. Not very many exist = supply.

Combine the two, and it doesn't matter what it is, it has value.

Yes, even $900 for a lame ol' variant cover.

That it is a variant of an otherwise valueless comic is utterly irrelevant. It is its variant-ness that drives its value.

After all...why would anyone want an uncolored, dingy, grungy, stained, maybe white-out'd piece of art, when they can own a beautiful, fully colored, perfectly printed version of that art instead....? Why is the thing used to make that otherwise inexpensive comic worth so much more than the finished product? Is corn and sugar more expensive than Frosted Flakes?

While your attempt to turn this discussion into a "What I collect is cooler than yours" is adorable,

You are confused. This is an attempt to keep YOU from turning it into "what I collect rules, what you collect sucks" discussion.

The reality is, what everyone collects is awesome, if it makes them happy, and does not need to be justified to or by anybody.

(thumbs u

your anger confuses me?

That's easily answerable. See, what you are doing is reading what you want to see, and assigning an emotional state to it that simply does not exist. It's understandable, as that is an Olympic sport around here, but I assure you, there is no anger anywhere here.

Even in the sub-comic arena I choose to collect in I find instances of prices I consider ridiculous, and I have not problem admitting that. A Romita Sr. recreation of a Spider-man cover going for almost 80k at auction seems crazy to me, much like a $900.00 Danger Girls comic. Saying that these things are rare does not justify how overboard these prices clearly became. I've already said I don't have anything against people collecting variants, but this is excessive, which is the whole point of the topic.

You said you did not know why, and you expressed it in such a way as to demonstrate clearly that you did not. It has been explained to you.

There's a difference between not understanding what qualities make something desirable, and not understanding the desire itself. I was explaining the first; the second is unexplainable.

If you could have pointed out an instance where say the supply of this comic was limited because the publisher recalled books containing this cover due to its suggestive nature, than I would at least understand why someone would go overboard with its purchase. It would have been scandalous, people would have been rushing out to find the infamous cover before it got sent back; I may not think that's worth $900.00, but I would understand it. Since that is apparently not the case however, I don't see how a modern comic book - with no key events or characters - could sell for $900.00 based solely on the fact it has a different cover. I'm not saying it's wrong to pay more for a cover that is limited in print, I'm saying it's outrageous to pay almost 1k for it.

It's got a different cover AND red foil on the logo.

Since you want a full history of the book, let me give it to you. These were Comic Cavalcade variants, produced for them to distribute, as they had numerous other 90's variants. Mark Seifert, who has been an associate of Comic Cavalcade for decades, and whom I adore tremendously, is nevertheless fairly tight lipped about these. He stated that they all sold (all 400 copies or so) through the stores at the time of release, and, in fact, in CC ads of the time, you could buy the regular Smoking Gun version for $10 through a printed ad of theirs at the time.

However..I have also heard that Campbell was none too pleased with this arrangement, and got the majority of them pulled from distribution.

The reality is this: in an era where variants achieved widespread distribution, these are the exceptions. When you can go to eBay and find dozens of copies of the #2 Dynamic Forces Gold variant, and even the Omnichrome variant, Smoking Gun variants of all kinds have been incredibly difficult to find for 13 years now.

And no one really knows why.

Is my attacking this particular instance of variant madness automatically mean I'm condemning variant cover collecting as a whole? It must because your reaction continues to baffle me.

Calm down, kimosabe. I don't see you as "attacking" anything. It's just a discussion. Do lighten up.

Unless you were the person who paid this price, my taking umbrage with this Danger Girls variant really shouldn't bother you at all. Comparing original artwork to the corn and sugar that makes up Frosted Flakes, really? You crack me up.

Why? OA is but one component that makes up a completed comic book. Why should it be "more valuable" than the finished product...?

Ah yes...for the same reason that DG #2 SGRR is: supply and demand.

(thumbs u

I know I'll get flack for this, but I personally can't see why Adventure Comics #247 is so expensive. I know it's the first Legion, but that book goes for stupid money.

Adventure247.jpg

I remember a dealer had a really tattered copy, much lower grade than this one, and he crowed that it was the only copy in the room. It turned out that his was one of two copies in the room, and I bought this one for 1/4 of his price.

Throwaway stories.

Like that Spider-Man character that Martin Goodman didn't like, leading Stan Lee to toss the story into the last issue of cancelled title Amazing Fantasy. :cloud9:

Amazing indeed...

Iron Fist #14 1st app. of Sabretooth. $100 for a high grade. Twice the amount if its the .25 cent variant. Heck Iron Fist #1 you can get for under $30. I could never understand the appeal of #14. Maybe I'm just not a Sabretooth fan.

I think comic prices should get realistic. A lot of comic characters may have justified a higher price for their 1st appearance at one time in their heyday but once that time has passed and collectors just aren't interested in the character anymore, then the price should level out with the rest of the series. The 1st appearance of J'onn J'onzz in Detective Comics #225 is ridiculously over priced. There were so many 1st appearances in Detective and other DC's around this time, I don't see what justifies the high price. He's not even shown on the cover which is terrible BTW.

And finally Det #236... Bat Tank. 1st app. of Bat Tank. Was there ever a 2nd appearance of BAT TANK? Does OS still put a question (?) mark after 1st app. of Bat Tank? Why even bother mentioning Bat Tank in OS. Heck the Flying Bat-Cave has at least 4 appearances and it doesn't even get mentioned once.

Bat Tank!

I really really really really really really really like Ant-Man!

hmmmmmmmm Bat Tank, i believe your just racist to Bat Tanks

Adventure247.jpg

My favorite part of the Adventure #247 cover is Superboy's reaction, spinning his head around to say "Whatchoo talkin' bout, Willis??"

lol

Every variant ever made.

Agreed. Seriously, that stupid Danger Girls variant recently went for over $900.00 on ebay. NINE HUNDRED DOLLARS! What am I missing? Are the contents of the book different? Does this cover hold some special significance? Did Jeffery Scott Campbell come to the guy's house, draw the issue in front of him and print it on his portable press? WHY?

It's a completely different cover from the regular, it's extraordinarily suggestive, and it's incredibly rare.

That's why.

Variants really shouldn't be a part of this thread. They are manufactured collectibles, with a few exceptions, and play by a slightly different set of rules than a "regular" comic.

Yes, I say.

I'm calling out an instance where a variant cover of an otherwise inexpensive comic has sold for close to 1K. It does not matter how rare this is, that price is nuts and I don't personally understand that (which is the very title of the thread).

That's fine, but it's being explained to you: RARITY. People want it = demand. Not very many exist = supply.

That it is a variant of an otherwise valueless comic is utterly irrelevant. It is its variant-ness that drives its value.

After all...why would anyone want an uncolored, dingy, grungy, stained, maybe white-out'd piece of art, when they can own a beautiful, fully colored, perfectly printed version of that art instead....? Why is the thing used to make that otherwise inexpensive comic worth so much more than the finished product? Is corn and sugar more expensive than Frosted Flakes?

While your attempt to turn this discussion into a "What I collect is cooler than yours" is adorable,

You are confused. This is an attempt to keep YOU from turning it into "what I collect rules, what you collect sucks" discussion.

The reality is, what everyone collects is awesome, if it makes them happy, and does not need to be justified to or by anybody.

(thumbs u

your anger confuses me?

That's easily answerable. See, what you are doing is reading what you want to see, and assigning an emotional state to it that simply does not exist. It's understandable, as that is an Olympic sport around here, but I assure you, there is no anger anywhere here.

Even in the sub-comic arena I choose to collect in I find instances of prices I consider ridiculous, and I have not problem admitting that. A Romita Sr. recreation of a Spider-man cover going for almost 80k at auction seems crazy to me, much like a $900.00 Danger Girls comic. Saying that these things are rare does not justify how overboard these prices clearly became. I've already said I don't have anything against people collecting variants, but this is excessive, which is the whole point of the topic.

You said you did not know why, and you expressed it in such a way as to demonstrate clearly that you did not. It has been explained to you.

There's a difference between not understanding what qualities make something desirable, and not understanding the desire itself. I was explaining the first; the second is unexplainable.

If you could have pointed out an instance where say the supply of this comic was limited because the publisher recalled books containing this cover due to its suggestive nature, than I would at least understand why someone would go overboard with its purchase. It would have been scandalous, people would have been rushing out to find the infamous cover before it got sent back; I may not think that's worth $900.00, but I would understand it. Since that is apparently not the case however, I don't see how a modern comic book - with no key events or characters - could sell for $900.00 based solely on the fact it has a different cover. I'm not saying it's wrong to pay more for a cover that is limited in print, I'm saying it's outrageous to pay almost 1k for it.

Since you want a full history of the book, let me give it to you. These were Comic Cavalcade variants, produced for them to distribute, as they had numerous other 90's variants. Mark Seifert, who has been an associate of Comic Cavalcade for decades, and whom I adore tremendously, is nevertheless fairly tight lipped about these. He stated that they all sold (all 400 copies or so) through the stores at the time of release, and, in fact, in CC ads of the time, you could buy the regular Smoking Gun version for $10 through a printed ad of theirs at the time.

However..I have also heard that Campbell was none too pleased with this arrangement, and got the majority of them pulled from distribution.

The reality is this: in an era where variants achieved widespread distribution, these are the exceptions. When you can go to eBay and find dozens of copies of the #2 Dynamic Forces Gold variant, and even the Omnichrome variant, Smoking Gun variants of all kinds have been incredibly difficult to find for 13 years now.

Is my attacking this particular instance of variant madness automatically mean I'm condemning variant cover collecting as a whole? It must because your reaction continues to baffle me.

Calm down, kimosabe. I don't see you as "attacking" anything. It's just a discussion. Do lighten up.

Unless you were the person who paid this price, my taking umbrage with this Danger Girls variant really shouldn't bother you at all. Comparing original artwork to the corn and sugar that makes up Frosted Flakes, really? You crack me up.

Why? OA is but one component that makes up a completed comic book. Why should it be "more valuable" than the finished product...?

(thumbs u

Now that's more like it. With the history you have given, I can now see why this particular variant has been pursued with such gusto. Despite my original tone, I was really confused as to how any variant could draw so much money. Though I still think that $900.00 is beyond reason, it's not just another variant cover with a exceptionally low print run. Circumstances outside the norm appear to have given this comic some notoriety beyond just its variant-ness.

Fun stuff. I liked your use of hyperbole with the OA, I actually could imagine an angry person seeking to justify their stance by questioning the value of something else; not enough to bite mind you, but it was good. And rest assured, at no point was I seeking to put the variant world down, my sunny disposition can come across that way some times, but I don't hate something just because I don't personally collect it; unless it's CGC books (totally kidding) :) .

Every variant ever made.

That's why.

Yes, I say.

(thumbs u

your anger confuses me?

(thumbs u

Now that's more like it. With the history you have given, I can now see why this particular variant has been pursued with such gusto. Despite my original tone, I was really confused as to how any variant could draw so much money. Though I still think that $900.00 is beyond reason, it's not just another variant cover with a exceptionally low print run. Circumstances outside the norm appear to have given this comic some notoriety beyond just its variant-ness.

Fun stuff. I liked your use of hyperbole with the OA, I actually could imagine an angry person seeking to justify their stance by questioning the value of something else; not enough to bite mind you, but it was good. And rest assured, at no point was I seeking to put the variant world down, my sunny disposition can come across that way some times, but I don't hate something just because I don't personally collect it; unless it's CGC books (totally kidding) :) .

I'm not a big variant person, but I've been looking to put together a set of the three "Smoking Gun" variations since they were first released 13 years ago, with no success.

Like RMA said, every Danger Girl variant from this time is easily obtainable despite supposed "low print runs" except these Smoking Gun covers, and in particular, the Ruby Red. It's maddening.

Rarity is not itself a sufficient condition for a higher value where comics are concerned, but neither is the age of the book. It's easy to dismiss anything and everything published in this time period, but there are enough of us out there who want the book, and there are clearly not enough copies to go around.

I find that I'm getting more into the actual stories in them than if it's a 9.8 or not. I just picked up an X-Men GS 1; pretty pricy. HORRIBLE story...

It's all about context IMHO. I love the story (shrug)

Adventure247.jpg

The DC fans of the time were starved for something different than the "Trick Superman into marrying me," "Jimmy Olson has a superpower that I don't have," or "Batman's greatest boner" stories they were being relentlessly pummeled with.

It all makes sense to me. A similar phenomenon is not unknown to old-school Rock fans (i.e., those of us who plugged in before 1980 or so). In pop music, Robert Christgau pegs it as a '90s "digital repackaging" phenomenon which he calls "Everything Rocks and Nothing Ever Dies":

And speaking of repackaging history, who better to do the job than those who made it, if only in their own minds? Hence the cavalcade of elsewhere unaccounted-for has-beens in Everything Rocks and Nothing Ever Dies, which replaces Distinctions Not Cost-Effective, Meltdown, and even, all things must pass, New Wave.

The title originated as my colleague Eric Weisbard's all-purpose review for the venerable rock artists who would mysteriously re-materialize every summer--sometimes on big-ticket tours, sometimes on free gigs sponsored by the Parks Department and other well-meaning institutions. In less cosmopolitan areas, many hit the county fairs, where rock dinosaurs now vie with aging country stars as favored perennials. And hey, that's entertainment. Let the people have their fun and the old-timers collect their checks--no one should have to live on Social Security.

In comics terms, it comes down to something like this: Who gives a mess about Eclipso? Nobody post-1992...until somebody does, and he/she is willing to shuck out > $100 for it in grade. In the meantime, it can sit in the box, priced to the moon, waiting for the next one who was born every minute.

Everything Rocks and Nothing Ever Dies. Simple. :)

Night Nurse

What's so important about this run? She is just a nurse (shrug)

you need to bone up on your retcons- she's extracted Peter Parker from the birth canal

Still a lame character. Nobody can tell me a really good reason why he collects those issues. The story can't be that good.

Night Nurse 1-4 ? (shrug)
Definitely a niche market - low supply, low demand. These came out during my 'silver-age' when I was buying everything Marvel produced......, except Night Nurse, the reprints, and the horror titles.

I remember one of the OS Advisors pimping this book repeatedly in the circa-1990 guides and updates.

Eventually it seemed to morph into a case of 'if he's gotta have it, I've gotta have it too'

I can't believe what OSPG has listed on this title :screwy: Sometimes I think some of this is a self-fulfilling prophecy...., like you mention with the OSPG Advisors. It seems like in the 90's, you could put an ad in CBG for some obscure, little collected title, and then in the next OSPG, the values would double, even though I never saw any activity on the title - I suppose because 'people were looking for it now.' I know that's not how it is supposed to work, but I have my suspicions.

We have more than suspicions here.. we have actual examples. Take the Hulk 377 3rd print that RMA started a thread about in the Copper section.

I also think that this board's enthusiasm for GL76 has been a factor in that book's rate of rise over the past 3-5 years.

And countless more examples....

I think the boards have a much bigger impact in the collecting world than we know. hm