• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comics You personally can't Understand Cost So Much

682 posts in this topic

Night Nurse 1-4 ? (shrug)
Definitely a niche market - low supply, low demand. These came out during my 'silver-age' when I was buying everything Marvel produced......, except Night Nurse, the reprints, and the horror titles.

I remember one of the OS Advisors pimping this book repeatedly in the circa-1990 guides and updates.

Eventually it seemed to morph into a case of 'if he's gotta have it, I've gotta have it too'

i didnt read through the whole 19 pages, so if im just repeating others posts i apologize ahead of time, but for me its af 15...listen i get it, its the first appearance of spiderman so on and so forth but the book is so common. every show i see one in almost every other booth yet its getting real close to getting tec 27 and action 1 money.

I wouldn't go so far to say it gets close to those two books. The only copy that got even close (if I'm not mistaken) was the 9.6 copy. Low grade copies can be had for a few thousand, which is not the case with Action 1 or Tec 27. It is pretty common, but not so common that every collector could have one if they had the money. The demand is still there, meaning the prices will stay up. I love the book and I can't wait to get enough money for a nice one :whee:

It is pretty common, but not so common that every collector could have one if they had the money. The demand is still there, meaning the prices will stay up. I love the book and I can't wait to get enough money for a nice one :whee:

it is the gem of the silver age...and good luck with your search for it.

Adventure Comics #210 - First Krypto the Superdog.

Close to $300 for some beater copies. Damn.

I saw a copy at NYCC that was a 2.0 at best. Brittle pages and just a horrible copy....it was at Metro's booth and they wanted like a grand for it. :screwy:

I saw a copy at NYCC that was a 2.0 at best. Brittle pages and just a horrible copy....it was at Metro's booth and they wanted like a grand for it. :screwy:

Pony Up! Haha!

Has anyone on this thread actually purchased one before? Does it command a premium?

i'd add- every $2.99/$3.99 modern that i bought today

I can kind of live with $2.99 for a modern, but a lot are $4.99! That is insane, especially when it only takes me about 2-5 minutes to read a modern. Back in the old days, I could at least get a good 15-20 minutes out of book (there was way more dialogue back then).

I'll just wait a few months and pick up the newer ones in the dollar bin at a comic show.

Ridiculous. :screwy: I think it commands those prices because it is a early golden age adventure. I mean who cares about Kyrpto? IMHO he is a minor character. One of the reasons people care is because he was introduced early-on in the series.

I'd spend my grand elsewhere.

That's the ironic kitsch factor kicking in. Or something. It is a scarce book but it's not as if there are many collectors who actually care about the character. lol

He has a cartoon. Or did?

Grant Morrison.

Every variant ever made.

Agreed. Seriously, that stupid Danger Girls variant recently went for over $900.00 on ebay. NINE HUNDRED DOLLARS! What am I missing? Are the contents of the book different? Does this cover hold some special significance? Did Jeffery Scott Campbell come to the guy's house, draw the issue in front of him and print it on his portable press? WHY?

Because someone wanted it. I bet what you collect sucks, too.

Great answer. Did the variant cover collector get his feelings hurt?

I don't know for sure, but I'm fairly sure that the Fingh doesn't collect variants, and even if he did, his feelings can't be hurt by a no-name newb.

And yes, I'm sure a lot of what I collect sucks. The difference is if I'm going to pay $900.00 for something it's going to be a nice piece of original art, not a variation of something that would otherwise have very little worth.

What? You're going to spend $900 on something for which has little way to establish a market value other than "the last sale of this piece", is extremely volatile, and might not be worth 1/10th what you paid for it if you needed to sell...?

hm

Your comment presumes that your generic piece of OA is somehow a superior choice, and it's most obviously not. Not everyone sees things the same way. Why would I waste money on OA that I can never own more than one of, and if I had to sell, would be gone forever? Madness!

Every variant ever made.

Agreed. Seriously, that stupid Danger Girls variant recently went for over $900.00 on ebay. NINE HUNDRED DOLLARS! What am I missing? Are the contents of the book different? Does this cover hold some special significance? Did Jeffery Scott Campbell come to the guy's house, draw the issue in front of him and print it on his portable press? WHY?

It's a completely different cover from the regular, it's extraordinarily suggestive, and it's incredibly rare.

That's why.

Variants really shouldn't be a part of this thread. They are manufactured collectibles, with a few exceptions, and play by a slightly different set of rules than a "regular" comic.

Oh gosh, a completely different cover you say.

Yes, I say.

Well that changes everything.

Great! I'm glad we see eye to eye.

Look, I don't begrudge people their enjoyment of collecting variant covers,

Sure you do. You're doing it right now.

I'm calling out an instance where a variant cover of an otherwise inexpensive comic has sold for close to 1K. It does not matter how rare this is, that price is nuts and I don't personally understand that (which is the very title of the thread).

That's fine, but it's being explained to you: RARITY. People want it = demand. Not very many exist = supply.

Combine the two, and it doesn't matter what it is, it has value.

Yes, even $900 for a lame ol' variant cover.

That it is a variant of an otherwise valueless comic is utterly irrelevant. It is its variant-ness that drives its value.

After all...why would anyone want an uncolored, dingy, grungy, stained, maybe white-out'd piece of art, when they can own a beautiful, fully colored, perfectly printed version of that art instead....? Why is the thing used to make that otherwise inexpensive comic worth so much more than the finished product? Is corn and sugar more expensive than Frosted Flakes™?

Every variant ever made.

Because someone wanted it. I bet what you collect sucks, too.

Great answer. Did the variant cover collector get his feelings hurt? And yes, I'm sure a lot of what I collect sucks. The difference is if I'm going to pay $900.00 for something it's going to be a nice piece of original art, not a variation of something that would otherwise have very little worth.

It's all a matter of perspective. Every collector has a varying focus. We all value items differently then a another collector would. It's very probable that there are high-value items in your collection that I would never buy, just because I don't care.

Every variant ever made.

It's a completely different cover from the regular, it's extraordinarily suggestive, and it's incredibly rare.

That's why.

Variants really shouldn't be a part of this thread. They are manufactured collectibles, with a few exceptions, and play by a slightly different set of rules than a "regular" comic.

Yes, I say.

I'm calling out an instance where a variant cover of an otherwise inexpensive comic has sold for close to 1K. It does not matter how rare this is, that price is nuts and I don't personally understand that (which is the very title of the thread).

That's fine, but it's being explained to you: RARITY. People want it = demand. Not very many exist = supply.

That it is a variant of an otherwise valueless comic is utterly irrelevant. It is its variant-ness that drives its value.

After all...why would anyone want an uncolored, dingy, grungy, stained, maybe white-out'd piece of art, when they can own a beautiful, fully colored, perfectly printed version of that art instead....? Why is the thing used to make that otherwise inexpensive comic worth so much more than the finished product? Is corn and sugar more expensive than Frosted Flakes™?

What happened to your infamous thumbs-up? :baiting:lol

Definitely a niche market - low supply, low demand. These came out during my 'silver-age' when I was buying everything Marvel produced......, except Night Nurse, the reprints, and the horror titles.

I remember one of the OS Advisors pimping this book repeatedly in the circa-1990 guides and updates.

Eventually it seemed to morph into a case of 'if he's gotta have it, I've gotta have it too'

Bingo.

The only reason anything has any value is because someone else wants it. Even necessities. After all, once you've eaten, food becomes utterly valueless to you (that is, you have no demand for it) until you're hungry again. But if someone else wants it...voila! It has value even if you don't want it at the moment.

I'm considering writing a short story on the value of anything in an I Am Legend type scenario...

Every variant ever made.

That's why.

Yes, I say.

After all...why would anyone want an uncolored, dingy, grungy, stained, maybe white-out'd piece of art, when they can own a beautiful, fully colored, perfectly printed version of that art instead....? Why is the thing used to make that otherwise inexpensive comic worth so much more than the finished product? Is corn and sugar more expensive than Frosted Flakes?

What happened to your infamous thumbs-up? :baiting:lol

He hasn't earned it.

Yet.

(thumbs u

I can't believe what OSPG has listed on this title :screwy: Sometimes I think some of this is a self-fulfilling prophecy...., like you mention with the OSPG Advisors. It seems like in the 90's, you could put an ad in CBG for some obscure, little collected title, and then in the next OSPG, the values would double, even though I never saw any activity on the title - I suppose because 'people were looking for it now.' I know that's not how it is supposed to work, but I have my suspicions.

Has anyone on this thread actually purchased one before? Does it command a premium?

Here is the exact book. It's graded a 4.0 by Metro, which doesn't have any validity as far as I am concerned. I've seen the book in person, with the tanning, tear and overall eye appeal, it's a 2.0-2.5 at best....And it's almost 700 bucks.....I was off a bit on the price, but point was made.

http://www.metropoliscomics.com/load_bookDetails.php?id=305825&set=0