• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ASM #1 Old Label 2.5 Slightly Brittle Pages... upgrade chances

183 posts in this topic

I'd suggest you check your moral compass - I think it needs to be re-wound :gossip:

Perhaps better alternatives:

I'd suggest you check your moral clock - I think it needs to be re-wound.

I'd suggest you check your moral compass - I think it needs to be remagnetized.

All of the "moral compass" references come from one ridiculous/classic Matt Nelson statement. In the "Shill or no shill" thread he was amazed that people like Flaming_Telepath had enough integrity to not buy from certain dealers.

"Matt: Not diverting...seeing you on here doing your usual thing has reminded me of your grudge against me. You made up your mind the second you saw my name on this thread. So what gives? Be honest, it ain't just because of arseman and disclosure.

Nick: Matt, it actually is about those two things. Sorry, but I'm the guy who won't buy from Schmell because of his conduct, who won't buy from Heritage because of their employee bids, who won't buy from CLink because of their practices...it's just the sort of guy I am.

Matt: That's your prerogative. But you've just ruled out about 90% of the vintage books trading hands every year. That's unrealistic. I think whatever moral or ethical compass is guiding you is a little too tightly wound."

You guys were really harsh on this fella, he hasn't come back. Really, is this anyway to promote this hobby!

If you want to be fondled gently, I'm sure there's other websites that can accommodate you.

Report back to us from time to time so we can chart your progress.

You guys were really harsh on this fella, he hasn't come back. Really, is this anyway to promote this hobby!

If you want to be fondled gently, I'm sure there's other websites that can accommodate you.

Seems like some sound advice, can you direct me to some of those sites where I can get fondled.

And I report regularly which parts of me have been fondled.

Thanks, you're the boom!!!

Burnie

I gave sound advice in a constructive way. "If you are not sure about the implications of something like Slightly Brittle Pages you may want to hold off on spending $2000 for a book. Set aside some time to learn more about Grading, Page Quality, Quality of Production etc. as these all impact the real world value."

I LOVE new GPA highs on a book that I have in the same CGC grade with better pages! Thanks! :headbang: And I agree with staying away from the brittle pages. :gossip:

You guys talked him out of buying it????? DAMN IT!!!! No new GPA high for me... :tonofbricks::tonofbricks::tonofbricks:lol

No new GPA high for you one year!

I don't see it as harsh at all. (shrug)

The OP was doing okay until he mentioned the negging part which was over the line. Too harsh? No, not seeing it either. Was it blunt? yes, it was, but not harsh.

On the other hand, had this thread been posted in general, it would be about three times as long and three times as harsh.

I think you should take your refund and post a want to buy (WTB) thread on these boards, I'm sure you'll find what you're looking for here and at a decent price, I've seen members post these at decent prices and not sell, be patient and one is bound to pop up here again.

Congrats and getting your refund and happy hunting.

Interesting idea...although given the behavior/attitude I have seen in this particular transaction, I know I would not respond to the WTB thread/sell to him at this point. I suspect he would find a number of other sellers that have seen this thread may also be reluctant to make a sale as well hm

I think you should take your refund and post a want to buy (WTB) thread on these boards, I'm sure you'll find what you're looking for here and at a decent price, I've seen members post these at decent prices and not sell, be patient and one is bound to pop up here again.

Congrats and getting your refund and happy hunting.

I'm not so sure anyone here would be anxious to do business with this toolbox after reading this thread. This guy turned buyer's remorse into the seller's problem, AND is going to neg the seller who has apparently done everything to make this PITA buyer happy. I wouldn't want to sell to him.

I looked at the listing and the label and PQ were easily readable. The buyer could see what he was getting and there is no legitimate reason for the buyer ask for a "return" in this case, and the only reason a seller would agree to one would be to cut his losses and deal with someone reasonable. If a buyer did this to me, based on what I saw in the listing and read here, I would be ultra pissed.

I agree completely, and think this is a much better way of communicating my post above. (thumbs u

:banana:

yes I'm returning it... I see 7.0's with decent pages going for $7k, I think that is the sweet spot of value right now and I'm going to try to get one of those!

You know, I'd REALLY like to find out where these 7.0's are selling for $7K...

Call me paranoid, but the last three 7.0's recorded in GPA all sold for the exact same amount, to the dollar. When's the last time anyone recalls seeing three books of this value selling for the exact same amount?

In the meantime, my recent offer of $9,500 for a 7.0 was shot down in flames, with the counter-offer being $12,500.

The OP was doing okay until he mentioned the negging part which was over the line. Too harsh? No, not seeing it either. Was it blunt? yes, it was, but not harsh.

On the other hand, had this thread been posted in general, it would be about three times as long and three times as harsh.

I do think he could have been told in a respectful way he was being di ckish. He was in deep and he was reacting without thinking. Being driven away with flames like that he's likely to just say, "What a bunch of a-holes" and he has the potential to be a toxic buyer again in the future.

But if people would approach his behavior with tact he might stick around and learn proper protocols and to also consider things from the seller's perspective.

Instead of saying, "You're a di ck" say, "What you're planning to do is di ckish and here's why"

Read the description, check out the images, ask seller a question, and do your research before buying! Seller can charge whatever he/she wants for an item and does not have to follow OSPG or GPA.

Yes, seller over promoted the book. Buyer clearly bought book to flip, otherwise why the interest in grade bump and resale? I think the seller was more than fair in taking the book back and should get positive feedback that he was willing to work it out.

Buyer (and seller) beware!

Agree 100%.

I didn't see anything was really, truly harsh in this thread (apart from, maybe, "What's your ID so I can block you").

He drew some ire for saying he was going to potentially neg the guy. What should he expect?

The book was not mis-represented in any way. The OP got a bit anxious, thought he had a great chance for a resub/flip, and pulled the trigger without doing any real research.

He had some buyers remorse, and asked out of the deal. The seller gave him his money back.

The whole situation was entirely the OP's doing. There is a difference between harsh and "the truth", although they are not always mutually exclusive.

Agree 100%.

I didn't see anything was really, truly harsh in this thread (apart from, maybe, "What's your ID so I can block you").

He drew some ire for saying he was going to potentially neg the guy. What should he expect?

The book was not mis-represented in any way. The OP got a bit anxious, thought he had a great chance for a resub/flip, and pulled the trigger without doing any real research.

He had some buyers remorse, and asked out of the deal. The seller gave him his money back.

The whole situation was entirely the OP's doing. There is a difference between harsh and "the truth", although they are not always mutually exclusive.

I think the flipping part is just an assumption, and it's contrary to what he claimed (whether you believe him or not).

It could simply be that he wanted an easy upgrade so he can get a hell of a deal for his own collection. I don't think anyone can deny negging the seller would very wrong.