• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ASM #1 Old Label 2.5 Slightly Brittle Pages... upgrade chances

183 posts in this topic

that's why i always say no returns on CGC graded books since it's been graded by a third party. total buyers remorse here, i feel bad for the seller, since he did not do anything wrong and is held hostage by eBay's paypal and feedback system. smh

that's why i always say no returns on CGC graded books since it's been graded by a third party. total buyers remorse here, i feel bad for the seller, since he did not do anything wrong and is held hostage by eBay's paypal and feedback system. smh

i've read and had opinions about this thread and the OP all along, but everyone has basically said what i was thinking and feeling, for that matter.

The BS part about ebay right now is that even if you say something along those lines ("no returns on graded books"), the buyer can still say basically anything and force the return of the book through either ebay's buyer protection program. For this reason, I have basically turned ebay into a buying site where i look to actually put 6-7 out of 10 purchases into my collection and call the rest a loss (spending accordingly) - not cool to do what the OP did, imo. Unless the seller was a complete either by his conduct or his communications, the buyer should have had to deal with a POOR decision - we've all had them.

So apparently, I needed to say my opinion even though I said I was not... that's enough from me.

wow, checking back to this thread and I'm pretty amazed:

First, d--mn, 120 posts over this issue? what is up with that? don't you guys have anything better to do!

Second, I would never neg anyone unless he neg'd me. I was unaware sellers can't neg buyers. I think he was the d ck for trying to sucker in a high bid for his p.o.sh. brittle book. And I wanted it for my collection, not to flip. Of course I want to buy a good deal, and so if it really was a 4.0, better deal for me. That is honest capitalism. But what is not honest is what the seller did as explained next.

Third, he CLEARLY OMITTED MATERIAL FACTS THAT A REASONABLE BUYER WOULD THINK IMPORTANT. A blurry 4 point font picture, is NOT FULL DISCLOSURE. There are laws against misrepresentation and selling lemons all over the country on many things. Why is this any different. There is no buyer beware when misrepresentation is involved. This guy is shady. I was the victim. He is the one who is obviously hiding defects on his pos book. Why are you people defending him. Do you all sell comic books in the same shady way, way overpricing them for what they are, or something? Make money honestly, its a lot easier.

Fourth, what is CGC doing giving blue labels to brittle books? Whats the difference between a page missing and book that is burnt and flakes apart? Its a damaged comic book. I was relying on CGC Blue Label not to get scammed, but apparently you can buy a blue label and still get a lemon.

Fifth, I am actually quite entertained by this and do not hold it against comic book collecting or the CGC boards. I am forgetting this already and will keep posting on other things as I'd imagine the silent majority of the vast majority of posters on this message board agree with me that this seller is a dbag. I'm sure 99% of people here have been taken advantage as well by sleazy sellers and the silent majority sympathizes with me. I do think if you guys want to bring the hobby out of the realms of scam artists everyone should stand up for the buyer and not be on the side of plankton like this seller, who was trying to dishonestly by omission scam someone out of $500-1000 dollars.

I can read this.

ASM1-1.jpg

And, slightly brittle paper may refer to the edges of only one or two or five pages.

At the right price point, the book is an interesting gamble. At 2.5, it would be worth the same with some interior paper corners fallen off as with them tenuously hanging on.

To play with definitions, if the "slightly brittle" were to be page edges -- and the page edges fell off, the pages would not longer be slightly brittle.

I once went to view an old car that was for sale. The owner advertised it as having no rust. And he wasn't lying as all the areas around the fenders where the rust would be, had already fallen off -- hence, no rust.

He DID post a picture of the label that is readable. Granted, it should have been a better picture and he should have also mentioned SB pages in the description (in my opinion).

But technically you can't claim he didn't give full disclosure because you can make out the PQ on the label. Had you done your dilidence as a buyer you wouldn't have been in that mess. *Always* look at page quality. Even without brittle pages the page quality is relevant. A comic with white or off white pages is much more desirable than cream or tan.

I'm in the minority in my opnion about the extent of disclosure the seller should have provided. But at the same time I think you bare most of the responsibility on this one.

First, d--mn, 120 posts over this issue? what is up with that? don't you guys have anything better to do!

Second, I would never neg anyone unless he neg'd me. I was unaware sellers can't neg buyers. I think he was the d ck for trying to sucker in a high bid for his p.o.sh. brittle book. And I wanted it for my collection, not to flip. Of course I want to buy a good deal, and so if it really was a 4.0, better deal for me. That is honest capitalism. But what is not honest is what the seller did as explained next.

Third, he CLEARLY OMITTED MATERIAL FACTS THAT A REASONABLE BUYER WOULD THINK IMPORTANT. A blurry 4 point font picture, is NOT FULL DISCLOSURE. There are laws against misrepresentation and selling lemons all over the country on many things. Why is this any different. There is no buyer beware when misrepresentation is involved. This guy is shady. I was the victim. He is the one who is obviously hiding defects on his pos book. Why are you people defending him. Do you all sell comic books in the same shady way, way overpricing them for what they are, or something? Make money honestly, its a lot easier.

Fourth, what is CGC doing giving blue labels to brittle books? Whats the difference between a page missing and book that is burnt and flakes apart? Its a damaged comic book. I was relying on CGC Blue Label not to get scammed, but apparently you can buy a blue label and still get a lemon.

Fifth, I am actually quite entertained by this and do not hold it against comic book collecting or the CGC boards. I am forgetting this already and will keep posting on other things as I'd imagine the silent majority of the vast majority of posters on this message board agree with me that this seller is a dbag. I'm sure 99% of people here have been taken advantage as well by sleazy sellers and the silent majority sympathizes with me. I do think if you guys want to bring the hobby out of the realms of scam artists everyone should stand up for the buyer and not be on the side of plankton like this seller, who was trying to dishonestly by omission scam someone out of $500-1000 dollars.

Your defense contradicts your title, good job. You were fully aware of the slightly brittle pages. The book ended up selling for 1750$, far from a 500$+ scam. Sorry your plan to crack and grade bump didn't work out. I also laughed when you claimed the victim lol

This is NOT going to end well methinks hm

I would hardly call this seller a "d-bag". Yeah, he didnt put "SLIGHTLY BRITTLE PAGES" in big huge bold letters but the pq was pretty damn clear in the auction description. When do you EVER see a seller putting his items biggest flaw in big bold headlines??? I (and im sure everyone else) dont believe for a second that you didnt know what the pq on this book was when you bought it.

Obviously though, YOU didnt know how big of a difference sb pages would make on a book like this. Not knowing that or researching it before you bought the book is 100% on you.

I was all for you trying to get out of the deal since it certainly wasnt a good deal imo but threatening the seller and then coming here calling him a scumbag is definitely out of line. You should be on your hands and knees thanking him for agreeing to cancel the sale and let you off the hook if you ask me. Even if he negged you, you should have just eaten the neg and moved on with a lesson learned (thumbs u

I doubt anyone sympathizes with. You knew exactly what you were buying and backed out. Now you are calling the seller shady, sleazy, d-bag etc. Pretty much what the vocal and silent majority most likely think of you now.

Next time, try doing research and getting advice before you buy something. Just dont buy it from me. :wishluck:

I love how your saying dont we all have anything better to do when you came to us for advice?? How did CGC deceive you because the book was Slightly Brittle pages (that could be 1 page on 1 corner for all you know). If your not educated enough on CGC stadards or comic books especially spending that much money then you should have done more homework i think.

Just when I thought you couldn't be a bigger di ck than before. Plus you're a liar and you're delusional. Please tell us your Ebay name so the silent majority can block your retarded .

Just when I thought you couldn't be a bigger di ck than before. Plus you're a liar and you're delusional. Please tell us your Ebay name so the silent majority can block your retarded .

+1

If you are confident that the silent majority is behind you on this and would want to do business with you then list your eBay ID so we can keep an eye out for this discerning, educated buyer that is easy to work with.

FWIW the seller finally did sell the book at $1751.

Are you sure?

I'll say 33% chance theres a new thread about this book in the next 48 hours lol

i believe the auction started at $1600 bid and it ended at $1751 on 8.27.

Just wait until the buyer finds out it has sb pages and cant press up to a 5.0 :kidaround:

If you are confident that the silent majority is behind you on this and would want to do business with you then list your eBay ID so we can keep an eye out for this discerning, educated buyer that is easy to work with.

:gossip: From his previous posts, his eBay ID is cheapcharlie118.