• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ASM #1 Old Label 2.5 Slightly Brittle Pages... upgrade chances

183 posts in this topic

If you are confident that the silent majority is behind you on this and would want to do business with you then list your eBay ID so we can keep an eye out for this discerning, educated buyer that is easy to work with.

:gossip: From his previous posts, his eBay ID is cheapcharlie118.

Thanks,got that in my "never to buy from list" ;)

FWIW the seller finally did sell the book at $1751.

Are you sure?

I'll say 33% chance theres a new thread about this book in the next 48 hours lol

i believe the auction was relisted at a starting bid of $1600 bid and it ended at $1751 on 8.27.

and it's in the auction description now since the last fiasco

Wow. Strip clubs around here are a bargain!

Edit: On iPhone and quoted wrong post. Too much work to fix.

Wow. Strip clubs around here are a bargain!

Best post on this thread yet!

Tell me where you live NOW! lol

This is quite the thread to read through, I feel sorry that the seller is so cornered. Ebay buyers can have too much power, especially when I get the feeling that he plain just didn't read the PQ at all and realized it after the fact.

I remember a couple years ago, I did a BIN for a Star Wars #1 30 (or is the 35 cent one that was the misprint?-anyway...) cent misprint...only to find out that it was a reprint of the misprint--say what....? It was written right there in the auction and didn't see it until after I bought it. But the seller was nice enough to cancel the transaction.

Jerome

wow, checking back to this thread and I'm pretty amazed:

First, d--mn, 120 posts over this issue? what is up with that? don't you guys have anything better to do!

Second, I would never neg anyone unless he neg'd me. I was unaware sellers can't neg buyers. I think he was the d ck for trying to sucker in a high bid for his p.o.sh. brittle book. And I wanted it for my collection, not to flip. Of course I want to buy a good deal, and so if it really was a 4.0, better deal for me. That is honest capitalism. But what is not honest is what the seller did as explained next.

Third, he CLEARLY OMITTED MATERIAL FACTS THAT A REASONABLE BUYER WOULD THINK IMPORTANT. A blurry 4 point font picture, is NOT FULL DISCLOSURE. There are laws against misrepresentation and selling lemons all over the country on many things. Why is this any different. There is no buyer beware when misrepresentation is involved. This guy is shady. I was the victim. He is the one who is obviously hiding defects on his pos book. Why are you people defending him. Do you all sell comic books in the same shady way, way overpricing them for what they are, or something? Make money honestly, its a lot easier.

Fourth, what is CGC doing giving blue labels to brittle books? Whats the difference between a page missing and book that is burnt and flakes apart? Its a damaged comic book. I was relying on CGC Blue Label not to get scammed, but apparently you can buy a blue label and still get a lemon.

Fifth, I am actually quite entertained by this and do not hold it against comic book collecting or the CGC boards. I am forgetting this already and will keep posting on other things as I'd imagine the silent majority of the vast majority of posters on this message board agree with me that this seller is a dbag. I'm sure 99% of people here have been taken advantage as well by sleazy sellers and the silent majority sympathizes with me. I do think if you guys want to bring the hobby out of the realms of scam artists everyone should stand up for the buyer and not be on the side of plankton like this seller, who was trying to dishonestly by omission scam someone out of $500-1000 dollars.

"Better to remain quiet and be thought a fool..."

If you are confident that the silent majority is behind you on this and would want to do business with you then list your eBay ID so we can keep an eye out for this discerning, educated buyer that is easy to work with.

(worship)

This is the seller. That was the first book I ever sold on eBay. I made a rookie seller mistake of forgetting to add the line "slightly brittle pages". I assumed the pictures were good enough. I don't think you can deny the fact that the book is a 2.5, no matter what your own opinions about grading are it was in fact graded by CGC. I believe that if CGC thought the brittle pages impacted the grade that much they would have graded the book lower. As for calling me a scumbag, a crooked seller and scam artist, R Theda, cheapcharlie118. can kiss my . I reported to eBay this thread and the fact that you knew exactly what you had bought. When you create the thread title showing exactly what you claimed you had no idea about, well that is just shady and shows what kind of collector and buyer you are. One that cannot be trusted. As for those who believe the book to be not worth the price you are entitled to your opinions. However you don't have to buy the book and there are many out there who appreciate the value and importance of an Amazing Spider-man 1. I am not worried about R Theda because people like him will always get what they deserve and someday a bigger pieces of mess will truly take him for the insufficiently_thoughtful_person chump his is. Thank you.

This is the seller. That was the first book I ever sold on eBay. I made a rookie seller mistake of forgetting to add the line "slightly brittle pages". I assumed the pictures were good enough. I don't think you can deny the fact that the book is a 2.5, no matter what your own opinions about grading are it was in fact graded by CGC. I believe that if CGC thought the brittle pages impacted the grade that much they would have graded the book lower. As for calling me a scumbag, a crooked seller and scam artist, R Theda, cheapcharlie118. can kiss my . I reported to eBay this thread and the fact that you knew exactly what you had bought. When you create the thread title showing exactly what you claimed you had no idea about, well that is just shady and shows what kind of collector and buyer you are. One that cannot be trusted. As for those who believe the book to be not worth the price you are entitled to your opinions. However you don't have to buy the book and there are many out there who appreciate the value and importance of an Amazing Spider-man 1. I am not worried about R Theda because people like him will always get what they deserve and someday a bigger pieces of mess will truly take him for the insufficiently_thoughtful_person chump his is. Thank you.

WTTB. looked at your ebay listing back when this thread started and thought you did a good enough job of giving info. a close-up of the label should be all anyone needs. a pic is worth a lot of words. buyer's remorse...

Welcome to the boards. Thought the buyer was unfair, knew what he was buying, had buyer's remorse and returned the ASM1.

Yes, including the 'slightly brittle pages' information in your auction text is

better than not including it, but the information was certainly easy to spot.

Look at the bright side, the snafu lead to us :insane:

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but the page quality doesn't affect the technical grade. I'm assuming that also includes brittle and slightly brittle pages?

Welcome to the board.

WTTB!

I was probably the most vocal critic of your books value but hey, you can ask whatever you want for it. I don't think it was worth 2k and certainly wouldn't have paid thT but it's not like you're blackstarcomics asking $90,000 for a $5,000 book. You're in the ballpark but regardless yOu can ask whatever you want and someone will either buy it or not.

As far as your reputation, like I said a few posts ago, I think the buyer was completely out of line to come and trash you after the refund. He should be on his hands and knees kissing your and thanking you! It doesn't really matter though. The people here are pretty damn smart and I doubt there's a single one that think youre a scimbag or scam artist because of this auction (thumbs u

Look on the bright side. Because of this sale and thread, you found these boards. Stick around and I'll bet that you love this place, meet some cool people, get some great info and probably even find some great deals on books or make some great sales here!

No worries! You ended up selling the book for close to your asking price and from what we've seen, probably every person here except the OP thinks you're a pretty stand up guy :applause:

I'm sure 99% of people here have been taken advantage as well by sleazy sellers and the silent majority sympathizes with me. I do think if you guys want to bring the hobby out of the realms of scam artists everyone should stand up for the buyer and not be on the side of plankton like this seller, who was trying to dishonestly by omission scam someone out of $500-1000 dollars.

Perhaps some board members feel like blocking a bidder who

1) blames the seller for his own buyer's remorse

2) blames and insults everybody on the boards who tries to defend a reasonable seller

3) is incapable of discerning the distinction between a listing that could have been clearer and an outright deception, and

4) seems to blame everybody but himself for his problems

Sometimes finding the page you need on eBay can be tough. I'm here to help.

Here's how to block a bidder from bidding on your books.

1) At the bottom of eBay's home pages, select "Site Map."

2) Under "Selling Activities", select "Block Bidder/Buyer List".

3) Choose "Add an eBay user to my Blocked Bidder/Buyer List"

Of course, if the bidder is right that some myserious silent majority sides with him on this, then you can all just ignore this post.

Third, he CLEARLY OMITTED MATERIAL FACTS THAT A REASONABLE BUYER WOULD THINK IMPORTANT. A blurry 4 point font picture, is NOT FULL DISCLOSURE.

He omitted NOTHING (since you want to use caps). I am 61 in December. My old eyes CLEARLY read "slightly brittle pages". Did you even click on ENLARGE??? (since you want to use caps).

DID YOU REALLY LOOK AT THE IMAGES??? (since you want to use caps)

Did you UNDERSTAND WHAT YOU WERE LOOKING AT? (since you want to use caps)

Fourth, what is CGC doing giving blue labels to brittle books? Whats the difference between a page missing and book that is burnt and flakes apart? Its a damaged comic book. I was relying on CGC Blue Label not to get scammed, but apparently you can buy a blue label and still get a lemon.

I posted the following TO YOU (since you want to use caps)

"If you are not sure about the implications of something like Slightly Brittle Pages you may want to hold off on spending $2000 for a book. Set aside some time to learn more about Grading, Page Quality, Quality of Production etc. as these all impact the real world value."

It is obvious you know nothing about grading, nothing about CGC, nothing about evaluating a comic and came into this with the intention of profiting from some nebulously obtained "knowledge" of comic books and their grading.

This last post of yours reveals how ignorant of the comic collecting world you are and how ignorant of the CGC standards you are. You were hoping for A SCORE!!! (since you want to use caps). Instead you turned out to be a .22 short in a world of .44 magnums.

What you got was a seller who refunded. Kudos to the seller. Consider this THE CHEAPEST EDUCATION YOU COULD POSSIBLY GET (since you want to use caps) on CGC grading and buying in general.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but the page quality doesn't affect the technical grade. I'm assuming that also includes brittle and slightly brittle pages?

Welcome to the board.

When CGC considers the pages "brittle" it impacts the grade big time.

Yes. It absolutely knocks the grade down.

You didn't do anything wrong.

Could you have included the "slightly brittle pages" in the description? Sure.

Were you trying to hide the fact that it had SB pages? Highly unlikely as you provided a clear shot of the label the clearly shows the notation.

You went beyond what you needed to do in offering a refund for a clear case of "buyers remorse". Hope it all worked out OK for you.

You didn't do anything wrong.

Could you have included the "slightly brittle pages" in the description? Sure.

Were you trying to hide the fact that it had SB pages? Highly unlikely as you provided a clear shot of the label the clearly shows the notation.

You went beyond what you needed to do in offering a refund for a clear case of "buyers remorse". Hope it all worked out OK for you.

:applause:

Welcome to the board.

When CGC considers the pages "brittle" it impacts the grade big time.

Yes. It absolutely knocks the grade down.

PQ can affect the grade in many cases. Especially Haloing, brittleness, and interior cover tanning.

wow, checking back to this thread and I'm pretty amazed:

First, d--mn, 120 posts over this issue? what is up with that? don't you guys have anything better to do!

Second, I would never neg anyone unless he neg'd me. I was unaware sellers can't neg buyers. I think he was the d ck for trying to sucker in a high bid for his p.o.sh. brittle book. And I wanted it for my collection, not to flip. Of course I want to buy a good deal, and so if it really was a 4.0, better deal for me. That is honest capitalism. But what is not honest is what the seller did as explained next.

Third, he CLEARLY OMITTED MATERIAL FACTS THAT A REASONABLE BUYER WOULD THINK IMPORTANT. A blurry 4 point font picture, is NOT FULL DISCLOSURE. There are laws against misrepresentation and selling lemons all over the country on many things. Why is this any different. There is no buyer beware when misrepresentation is involved. This guy is shady. I was the victim. He is the one who is obviously hiding defects on his pos book. Why are you people defending him. Do you all sell comic books in the same shady way, way overpricing them for what they are, or something? Make money honestly, its a lot easier.

Fifth, I am actually quite entertained by this and do not hold it against comic book collecting or the CGC boards. I am forgetting this already and will keep posting on other things as I'd imagine the silent majority of the vast majority of posters on this message board agree with me that this seller is a dbag. I'm sure 99% of people here have been taken advantage as well by sleazy sellers and the silent majority sympathizes with me. I do think if you guys want to bring the hobby out of the realms of scam artists everyone should stand up for the buyer and not be on the side of plankton like this seller, who was trying to dishonestly by omission scam someone out of $500-1000 dollars.

You know what is really pathetic? A complete jackoff like you has the money to buy this book to flip but you can't even figure out how to take a comic book out of the bag.

And you have the balls to call the seller a dbag, scam artist, sleazy? The silent majority does not sympathize or agree with you. Go play in traffic. I don't know if I am more irritated by you being a wad or my wasting 10 minutes reading this to find out what a wad you are.

Geez. I am gonna go kick my dog and yell at my kids now.