• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Closed - Thank you Everyone

60 posts in this topic

Presented for your purchasing consideration are the two silver aged giants, the two ships that launched 1000 heroes: Marvel's untouchable Amazing Fantasy 15, and DC's groundbreaking Showcase 4. :whee:

Both are beautiful copies. The Amazing Fantasy 15 is graded CGC 5.0 (universal i.e, unrestored) , but the only thing that keeps it from a 7.0-8.0, which in my opinion it displays as, is marvel chipping. Bright colors, clean cover with crisp, saturated colors, it's truly the nicest 5.0 I've seen. That's why I bought it - truly bought the book and not the grade. Page quality is off-white. (worship)

The Showcase 4 is also a CGC 5.0, (universal i.e. unrestored) and is another beautiful copy with bright, vibrant colors. Again, there are no stamps, significant folds, etc on the cover, and it displays beautifully. The only thing that keeps this book at a 5.0 are slight creases along the spine, especially around the staples, that are noticeable upon close inspection, and the mild discoloration on the bottom right. :headbang:

Together, they form a beautiful pair, with Spider-Man, seen for the first time, swinging in from the top right of the frame into the center (with armpit guy in hand), in this first Kirby drawn dramatic appearance, and Flash literally bursting out of the page on the bottom right corner in his Barry Allen debut.

I spent countless hours trying to find these two books in pristine-looking shape - they look incredible framed together IMO.

They are professionally framed, with expensive museum quality glass (which means you basically can't see the glass, even as it offers UV protection), and includes a two narrative around the books and about comic books in general. The left half of the frame is the "DC side" with Flash exploding out on the base, and all the DC heroes flying above him as a background on the top narrative page; the right half of the frame is the "Marvel side" with Spiderman swinging into full view in the top half, and the entire Marvel gang standing ready for action as a background to the bottom narrative.

It's both a work of art and of collectability, and a great fit for the professional office space or personal home space, and it's been a wonderful conversation piece in my office. I'm certain it'd be a handsome addition to a waiting room, a medical office, a legal office, a personal space, and so on...

The price is NOW $18,750 $19,500 for the pair.

Here's how I got there:

AF 15 5.0 OSPG $11,000 + $250 for such a clean copy

(hey, it's $13,750 on ebay!)

Showcase 4 5.0 $6,750 (GPA)

Framing $750

Time invested in this project (about 150 hours - really!) $750 (that's only $5 an hour - my hourly rate to clients is $100!)

Total $18,750 $19,500 - I'll cover shipping and insurance.

First PM or Buy-it-now icon :takeit: takes it.

I accept Paypal, personal check, money order, or cashier's check. With personal checks, item ships once the check clears.

I know I'm relatively new, but you can see me on my website at carlscounseling.com and I have made one purchase on the boards and can provide at least one board-centered reference if you have any concerns.

Finally, if you're interested in the books separately, please PM me, because if I've got buyers for each individual book, but not the framed pair, I'd consider moving them on their own (although my preference is to sell the framed set).

Thanks for looking. Feedback about the books, price, framing, etc is more than welcome, and, of course, purchasing is strongly encouraged!

Carl

AF15photo.jpg

IMG_1272.jpg

P.S. I'll add an image of the Showcase 4 in a separate post tomorrow.

Hi, just as an FYI... AF 15 CGC 5.0 FMV according to GPA should be around $9k give or take... and that includes selling fees.

So for a private direct sale I would value a typical 5.0 at around just above $8k - cash deal even a bit lower.

This is just my opinion and I am open to the expertise of others to correct me if I am wrong on my valuation.

Because you are new to the boards you should know that posting a comment like this on a for sale thread is not cool. If you have a comment use PM in the future.

I have no intentions on buying these books as I can not afford them. But I was wondering if the slabs can come out of frame easily and if the narratives specifically mention the two books?

Basically curious as to how easily could you swap those two books out for two other books?

Oh yeah, nice Spider-man BTW

Hi, just as an FYI... AF 15 CGC 5.0 FMV according to GPA should be around $9k give or take... and that includes selling fees.

So for a private direct sale I would value a typical 5.0 at around just above $8k - cash deal even a bit lower.

This is just my opinion and I am open to the expertise of others to correct me if I am wrong on my valuation.

that is the problem with GPA, even a book like af15, too limited in scope...I just sold a 5.0 for 11K this week, and have sold numerous copies in the 11-12K range...so carl's asking price is right in line with FMV (thumbs u

Outstanding books. Beautiful custom frame.

Thank you. The person who framed the book was actually a comic book store owner, recently turned framer, so he really had an appreciation of the books. He said he'd previously custom framed a Batman 1.

that is the problem with GPA, even a book like af15, too limited in scope...I just sold a 5.0 for 11K this week, and have sold numerous copies in the 11-12K range...so carl's asking price is right in line with FMV (thumbs u

That's the interesting thing about selling price - for me, in the end, the ultimate question is: at what price do I feel good about parting with this book. If I sold my AF 15 5.0 for $8K, honestly, I'd feel like it'd been stolen from me. When I realized selling prices had moved to around $11K, that felt congruent with what the book was worth selling for. We'll see what happens. Thanks for the comments, and feel free to keep them coming...

I have no intentions on buying these books as I can not afford them. But I was wondering if the slabs can come out of frame easily and if the narratives specifically mention the two books?

Basically curious as to how easily could you swap those two books out for two other books?

Oh yeah, nice Spider-man BTW

So, one really nice thing about this custom frame is it's very easy to take the comics, and the narrative, in and out, so you can swap out the books, and if you don't like the narrative, you can swap that out as well. So if the books sell without the frame, I'll keep the frame and put a couple of nice keys in there. I'll also have to change the narrative.

BTW, I'll post the narrative later today, or in the next day or so. I'd appreciate feedback on it, including the historical accuracy of it, as I did my best, but I know there are people on these boards who know far more about comics than I do...

Funny, I'd have expected a bigger pummeling for this.

Anyway, seller is free to ask whatever he likes for this, just as we are all free to buy, bargain or pass.

I was going to chime in and pummel but decided others are far better at pummeling bad forum etiquette.

Nice presentation on the books. Good luck with the sale. Two major books indeed.

To be fair he did solicit feedback on pricing.

That's a very cool frame job and I hope it finds a good home. If the worst case is you move the books and are left with a great frame, then that's not such a bad downside.

I hope that room is dark most of the time. Otherwise, displaying books like that will lead to fading. I think there's been discussion by mschmidt and others that UV protection glass doesn't really guard against that.

Colors look nice now though.