• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Which site would you consider #1 for buying CGC books

Which site is #1 for buying CGC books  

555 members have voted

1. 1. Which site is #1 for buying CGC books

201 posts in this topic

I don't really buy from auction sites,but Bob Storms and Rick Whitelock are my main go to guys. (worship)

website ?

Gator is his board name here...he is usually over at the

Gold forum

(thumbs u

Ive bought a few here and a a bunch on ebay with no problems so they both get my vote

Again, the choices from the list target a larger audience and the volume/variety of books offered is greater than here IMO. Notwithstanding, the CGC boards are a great place to buy/sell books

The more I look at this thread the more I think about buying comics and how I go about it. I like to get a good deal. I do not lowball, I do not try and rip off sellers, but I do not like paying FMV. I like the feeling of getting a deal. I also have an insane amount of patience when collecting, I can and will wait years for a book. So to me the end result is you can not pick 1 website.

Seriously, all the guys I know buy from every resource available. They check every site for raw and slab multiple times a month or sometimes day. It is an obsession. I have personally bought books from worldwide within an hour of listing (I used to buy from them often), sites like ebay the same. But there are also things that I would have to consider when buying as well, like who I would rather have my business..

For a large purchase (over 1k) it would be Rick (Gator). I know that with Rick I can do time payments, I know that he will work with me on any purchase, and honestly I WANT him to have my money over anyone else. The downside is I am really only shopping big books with him.

My next is Bob Storms. Bob grades very tight, is always very reasonable, and another man I would gladly call a friend. While I do not speak to him as often as I used to, I consider him the best in the business, love bob like an estranged uncle lol

After that, any single auction site. I watch all of them, but only buy from Ebay and C-Link. But I can tell you this, 99% of the people on here that offer the books you want do the same thing. Flipping on a higher level IS a full time job! You need to use every single resource to the best of your ability, know the entire market well enough and specialize in something. Have a stash of cash to buy that great deal when it arrives, and know when and how to unload it.

So there is my official answer. Everywhere is the number 1 place to buy slabs. If you really are serious about collecting, leave no stone unturned.

And shout out to Comicana. Nick (flaming telepath) is an insanely accurate grader (sometimes too tough). He is great to deal with, and has some great books to offer. He just happens to be the newest. But another guy I would trust my ATM pin number with.

The more I look at this thread the more I think about buying comics and how I go about it. I like to get a good deal. I do not lowball, I do not try and rip off sellers, but I do not like paying FMV. I like the feeling of getting a deal. I also have an insane amount of patience when collecting, I can and will wait years for a book. So to me the end result is you can not pick 1 website.

Seriously, all the guys I know buy from every resource available. They check every site for raw and slab multiple times a month or sometimes day. It is an obsession. I have personally bought books from worldwide within an hour of listing (I used to buy from them often), sites like ebay the same. But there are also things that I would have to consider when buying as well, like who I would rather have my business..

For a large purchase (over 1k) it would be Rick (Gator). I know that with Rick I can do time payments, I know that he will work with me on any purchase, and honestly I WANT him to have my money over anyone else. The downside is I am really only shopping big books with him.

My next is Bob Storms. Bob grades very tight, is always very reasonable, and another man I would gladly call a friend. While I do not speak to him as often as I used to, I consider him the best in the business, love bob like an estranged uncle lol

After that, any single auction site. I watch all of them, but only buy from Ebay and C-Link. But I can tell you this, 99% of the people on here that offer the books you want do the same thing. Flipping on a higher level IS a full time job! You need to use every single resource to the best of your ability, know the entire market well enough and specialize in something. Have a stash of cash to buy that great deal when it arrives, and know when and how to unload it.

So there is my official answer. Everywhere is the number 1 place to buy slabs. If you really are serious about collecting, leave no stone unturned.

And shout out to Comicana. Nick (flaming telepath) is an insanely accurate grader (sometimes too tough). He is great to deal with, and has some great books to offer. He just happens to be the newest. But another guy I would trust my ATM pin number with.

(thumbs u :applause:

I believe it to be a necessity to check out the "usual suspects" not only for hunting down the books you want/need etc but also to stay on top of the game. Someone over in Bronze asked about the 9.8 GL 76 that's listed on CL for 21k. Would it not be for the constant browsing, I'd never know that the book sold on CL for 15k in May, made it's way to ebay and CL for 25k and is now back on CL for 21k.

Alot of people here track books. Makes it easier to know when you are getting a fair price.

There are currently 14 sites in my favorite tool bar collection I look at on a regular basis for books. I think I have 34 saved E-Bay searches with daily e-mail alerts.

There is no one site; there is only the collecting cloud of the internets.

Would still like to see a couple of improvements made on some of the websites from the list:

ie

1. ComicLink should have a "Watch Item" function for their auctions/exchange items. You'd decide later on to bid or not.

2. WWComics should have a "Best Offer" option.

3. Want List service on WWComics (last I check they don't offer one)

4. Archives for past sales in the manner that Heritage has.

5. ComicConnect and Metro should improve their "Want List" service in the way Pedigree and HGC have. Min-Max grades for wanted items.

6. Back scans for books (even for books that aren't in possession). Comicana and HGC excel in this matter :acclaim:

7. ebay could ban robojo

Any other opinions ?

:blush:

Thanks a lot, Pat. :foryou:

Now...this ATM number?

:blush:

Thanks a lot, Pat. :foryou:

Now...this ATM number?

Yes please...let's keep it public... ;)

A lot of it for me tends to depend on what the book has been doing lately.

I've found that books trending up, you tend to get a better deal from one of the dealers. At auction, they seem to go MUCH higher than what you can get them for on a lot of the dealers sites.

Books trending down, I seem to get a better deal on the auction sites for the most part. Some of the titles i collect have seen a MAJOR decrease in gpa price in the last 2-3 years. At auction, they are going dirt cheap while most dealer sites still have them priced fairly "aggressively".

I have about 8 different places i watch and buy books from and by keeping an eye on all of them, i can find pretty good deals on every book i buy (thumbs u

ComicLink is the undisputed champ across all ages/genres, despite having an archaic web interface.

HGC has best watch item functionality, and you get free sarcasm with every order.

Heritage arguably has the best web interface, but not-so friendly seller pricing.