• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your San Francisco/Tom Reilly books
4 4

856 posts in this topic

The trouble with that we can see plainly in the "reilly" part of the signature how he wrote two L's in a row as part of the last name.

Its not consistent with what you are suggesting is a separate "LL" on the left side.

Thought about that. I'm no expert, but I think it's not consistent simply because of the steeper angle of approach and having a heavier hand near the beginning. (look at how the entire first name flows away from the angle of the "A" leg)

They are the same letter repeated twice, they are vertical... could be wrong, but it's a pretty good fit.

Assume "A" followed by two identical letters... wouldn't take too long to run through all the possibilities.

Edited by markseifert

The lines that are weirdest to me are these. It almost looks like old english -script.

W? O? M?

I think your red highlighted portions could just be sloppy connective loops/strokes between letters.

Aside from "Allen" or "Allan", it's still a problem we can use brute force on.

If it does start with "A", and is 4-6 letters long, you can come up with a pretty short list of likely candidates. Even throw in starts with "T", it's not going to be an enormous list.

I think ignoring the rest of the story (for the moment) is the important part.

Male, born around 1920-1935ish, Bay area resident, and a that list of names. Then see if any of those results click with the story in some way.

There might be some weird kernel of truth that fits in there. Like: "Tom's" brother (or cousin, or whatever) is the one who went to war. Tom didn't have the heart to read his heroes at war anymore, thinking of his cousin in those same deadly situations. Would an adult make all those stamps on the books anyway? Isn't that something a child would do?

Edited by markseifert

Reilly is a surname of Irish origin but the actual family might have come other locations in Great Britain. Given that, here are a number of spelling variants to consider if Alan is the first name:

Alan, Allyn (English), Allan, Allen (Scottish), Ailín (Irish), Alun (Welsh)

I'm wondering about the mechanics of how rubber stamps were produced in those days. Was it as simple as taking a signature written on normal paper and turning it into a stamp?

Or did the customer have to sign on special material? If the latter, then some distortion may have been introduced to the writing that accounts for the oddities people are noting.

Robot Man said: "So a question for you guys. Since we are not really sure about Tom Riley should we just call them "San Francisco" books? What would be the right name for this pedigree? Obviously, someone ammased a killer comic collection! Like Edgar Church, I feel that the person who put them together should get the credit not necessarily the person who brought them to market."

So, when I said "call them Reilly books", I was just answering his question...not saying we "NEED" to rename them on an official basis. Geez...ya try ta help and everbody just dumps on ya... :sorry:

I think it's beyond question that the pedigree name needs to be changed. The only two reasonable choices are:

1. The Piedmonts

2. The Beerbohms

I'm having trouble deciding which is better. hm

I'm wondering about the mechanics of how rubber stamps were produced in those days. Was it as simple as taking a signature written on normal paper and turning it into a stamp?

That's a good point. Plus, thinking about it, is that a child's handwriting, or even a young adult male's handwriting? We tend to be more deliberate about it when we're younger. I'm probably overthinking it, but that's the practiced, rushed squiggle sig of an adult.

If that's true, you don't even know for sure if it's his handwriting, whoever he is.

edit -- this sounds silly, but seriously... we could all chip in and get a handwriting analysis, I bet!

Robot Man said: "So a question for you guys. Since we are not really sure about Tom Riley should we just call them "San Francisco" books? What would be the right name for this pedigree? Obviously, someone ammased a killer comic collection! Like Edgar Church, I feel that the person who put them together should get the credit not necessarily the person who brought them to market."

So, when I said "call them Reilly books", I was just answering his question...not saying we "NEED" to rename them on an official basis. Geez...ya try ta help and everbody just dumps on ya... :sorry:

I think it's beyond question that the pedigree name needs to be changed. The only two reasonable choices are:

1. The Piedmonts

2. The Beerbohms

the first one.

Hi, guys. I spent a while trying to unravel this knot. After going through too many web pages of cursive and calligraphy styles, I decided that the first name really is 'Tom.' If you assume he was 18 or so when he deployed, having a signature with a certain degree of affectation is not outside the realm of likelihood. The 'T' may be a stylized version of the Spencerian 'T' that was most commonly taught at the time. The 'm' looks like an Old English 'm.' The 'o' is a bit of a mess from the stamp but is still an 'o.'

I think I looked at all the Reillys who fought in the Pacific and all the Reillys that were from California. I looked for the Doctor's last name but could never get anything to come together. There really was a Tom Reilly killed in a kamikaze attack in WWII in 1945 but it wasn't THIS Tom Reilly. There was also a Tom Reilly who died in the Philippines when a barge he was crewing sank. He wasn't from California, tough.

Given that more and more records come on line very week and Ancestry.com, it is possible that something will eventually come up that solves the puzzle. The WWII draft cards all have a signature on them so, once his comes available, it should be easy to spot.

I think even the last name might be wrong. Reilly. Why would the "ll" of Reilly be SMALLER than the "i"?

The double LL many be a "u".

The "R" may be a cursive capitol "L"

That said, the Last name COULD be "Leiuy"

155019.jpg

1. The Piedmonts

2. The Beerbohms

lol:taptaptap:

I think even the last name might be wrong. Reilly. Why would the "ll" of Reilly be SMALLER than the "i"?

155019.jpg

:taptaptap:

As if this isn't convoluted enough... lol

Edited by tricolorbrian

Hi, guys. I spent a while trying to unravel this knot. After going through too many web pages of cursive and calligraphy styles, I decided that the first name really is 'Tom.' If you assume he was 18 or so when he deployed, having a signature with a certain degree of affectation is not outside the realm of likelihood. The 'T' may be a stylized version of the Spencerian 'T' that was most commonly taught at the time. The 'm' looks like an Old English 'm.' The 'o' is a bit of a mess from the stamp but is still an 'o.'

I think I looked at all the Reillys who fought in the Pacific and all the Reillys that were from California. I looked for the Doctor's last name but could never get anything to come together. There really was a Tom Reilly killed in a kamikaze attack in WWII in 1945 but it wasn't THIS Tom Reilly. There was also a Tom Reilly who died in the Philippines when a barge he was crewing sank. He wasn't from California, tough.

Given that more and more records come on line very week and Ancestry.com, it is possible that something will eventually come up that solves the puzzle. The WWII draft cards all have a signature on them so, once his comes available, it should be easy to spot.

I agree with this. Cheetah seems to be on track here. Cheetah, what year were you born? Maybe you're the reincarnated Tom Reilly and that's why you have such an interest in "your" books... hm

155019.jpg

In the FWIW department, the 'i' is taller because it was extended after the full name was signed. It was originally made as just a tiny 'i' but Tom didn't like the way it looked so he changed it.

Sadly, I am not kidding here. You can see it in the magnified image. It makes me wonder just how long Tom took to get his autograph juuuuuust right for the stamp.

I agree with this. Cheetah seems to be on track here. Cheetah, what year were you born? Maybe you're the reincarnated Tom Reilly and that's why you have such an interest in "your" books... hm

Funny thing is, I don't own any of his books, but I do a fair amount of genealogical research as part of my job so trying to parse the history was interesting. I don't usually find such an absolute dead end.

I think I used to know the answer to this question, but does the name "Tom Reilly" come from what the family told Plant and Beerbohm or from collectors trying to decipher the signature?

It's a shame bob cannot not get back on boards to address this once and for all. I think there is more to the story to be told. I was there bought almost 100 of them over two months and they broke the rule for on the purchase limit, but we need to find out before all parties have passed on.

Or did the customer have to sign on special material? If the latter, then some distortion may have been introduced to the writing that accounts for the oddities people are noting.

it may be possible that the "tom" on the rubber stamp could be the father's name used to mark the comics..?