• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your San Francisco/Tom Reilly books
4 4

856 posts in this topic

That's probably good advice.

My great uncles collection however is currently in the hands of his son who continued the tradition and will one day make it to his sons hands making it the only three generation collection I ever heard of. :)

I still haven't figured out what to do with mine yet. Maybe when I get older I'll have a better idea? ???

I've got my Dad's childhood collection, my collection, and a son. But, he's only casually interested in comics. Still, my guess is that there are many potential "three generation OO collections" out there now. Just off the top of my head, there is the Dentist and his son sitting on probably the best collection ever amassed. Seems like it will be passed through the generations.

I think it's going to get harder to pass on collections in the future.

I'm pushing 40 and I'm pretty much digital in most respects of media in my life. I think the collecting of physical books (sadly) is a dying breed anyway. There may always be collectors but I'm guessing far fewer as time thins them out.

Does the dentist (I always find it silly mentioning him that way. lol) have much in original books he bought off the stands? I know a lot of collectors have bought themselves collections but collections that were bought off the stands or back when collecting was cheap and more adventuresome (1950s/1960s) impress me more. I think that's why I enjoyed the Bangzoom thread so much. Nothing over $50.00 if I remember correctly.

Just me but the history behind the early collectors is fantastic. That's why I asked about Rick Durrell. It was such a different collecting world back then.

I think it's going to get harder to pass on collections in the future.

I'm pushing 40 and I'm pretty much digital in most respects of media in my life. I think the collecting of physical books (sadly) is a dying breed anyway. There may always be collectors but I'm guessing far fewer as time thins them out.

Does the dentist (I always find it silly mentioning him that way. lol) have much in original books he bought off the stands? I know a lot of collectors have bought themselves collections but collections that were bought off the stands or back when collecting was cheap and more adventuresome (1950s/1960s) impress me more. I think that's why I enjoyed the Bangzoom thread so much. Nothing over $50.00 if I remember correctly.

Just me but the history behind the early collectors is fantastic. That's why I asked about Rick Durrell. It was such a different collecting world back then.

I don't think the breed is on life-support yet. hm

You may be underestimating human nature in respect to nostalgia and the inherent need to collect and pass on what is deemed relevant. Also, the establishment of strong comic themed film franchises would likely keep the interest in collectible comics alive even if the market were to shift entirely to digital, which I don't believe it will.

As I see it, there'll always be a need for some physical media in the marketplace even if modern comic collecting were to become a niche market. For instance, I suppose autograph seekers can always get their laptop cases signed by artists and writers, but in the long run that turns into even clunkier junk to store.

GA comic collecting is pretty darn healthy from where I sit. If there is a big ticket bubble, it's probably in the area of SA to modern ('64 on, after fandom started blossoming), that's where speculation collides head-on with census numbers. This is just food for thought; everyone's mileage varies. My 2c

When Leonard Brown and I sent out our first list of comics for sale, Rick Durrell was the first person to respond. We all became friends because we all loved old comics. His wife, however, hated Rick and his collection because he spent all of his free time and money on the collection. After he died, she wanted to sell it all. I had made her a strong cash offer and she was on the verge of accepting it when she called me to say that someone else had just offered her a lot more, maybe 3X or 4X more, and she was going to sell it to him. I tried to explain that it simply wasn't possible for someone to pay her that much and she should be careful. She said it was so much because it wasn't a cash offer but rather a high percentage of the sales as the buyer was going to sell the collection piece by piece for a lot of money. What happened aftere that was horrible for her, but it proved once again that if something looks too good to be true, it probably isn't. Gerber needed money to finish his great project, the books we revere him for, and he apparently didn't care how he got it.

I didn't know Fred White. However, the night before Leonard and Malcolm Willits opened their first store, they held a champagne reception for a handful of the leading collectors in the area and Fred White appears to be in some of the pictures of that event. Of course Rick Durrell was there as well, and several people I can't identify. Leonard is dead and Malcolm coiuld only remember one name. When I used some of the pictures in an article I wrote about Collectors Bookstore for the CBCA, I asked for help in identifying the other people in the picture but didn't get any responses. All I can really say is that as he was present at the reception, he was viewed as a serious collector.

Exactly what did happen with the entire Rick Durrell collection?

I've always been impressed with his collection as one of the first, early serious collectors of books and grade. Mark Evanier mentioned he claimed to have had two dozen Action Comics #1's in his collection at one time.

My great uncle started his collection in the late 1940's and was also very condition aware early on tracking down earlier books he didn't own to add to his existing collection and as a kid I remember him mentioning crossing paths with Rick Durrell (I'm guessing at comic/book stores or those early cons). My great uncles collection remained intact but Rick Durrell seemed to have a massive collection with many multiples of books that finally got broken up.

Any details on how that happened?

After charging Durrell's widow fees for the restoration work he said that he did on nearly all of the books, Gerber advertised them in The Comics Buyers Guide, the best place to sell books in those days to a national audience. By the time he paid himself for the restoration work, there wasn't much left. At that point she got a lawyer and sued Ernie.

When Leonard Brown and I sent out our first list of comics for sale, Rick Durrell was the first person to respond. We all became friends because we all loved old comics. His wife, however, hated Rick and his collection because he spent all of his free time and money on the collection. After he died, she wanted to sell it all. I had made her a strong cash offer and she was on the verge of accepting it when she called me to say that someone else had just offered her a lot more, maybe 3X or 4X more, and she was going to sell it to him. I tried to explain that it simply wasn't possible for someone to pay her that much and she should be careful. She said it was so much because it wasn't a cash offer but rather a high percentage of the sales as the buyer was going to sell the collection piece by piece for a lot of money. What happened aftere that was horrible for her, but it proved once again that if something looks too good to be true, it probably isn't. Gerber needed money to finish his great project, the books we revere him for, and he apparently didn't care how he got it.

I didn't know Fred White. However, the night before Leonard and Malcolm Willits opened their first store, they held a champagne reception for a handful of the leading collectors in the area and Fred White appears to be in some of the pictures of that event. Of course Rick Durrell was there as well, and several people I can't identify. Leonard is dead and Malcolm coiuld only remember one name. When I used some of the pictures in an article I wrote about Collectors Bookstore for the CBCA, I asked for help in identifying the other people in the picture but didn't get any responses. All I can really say is that as he was present at the reception, he was viewed as a serious collector.

I've always been impressed with his collection as one of the first, early serious collectors of books and grade. Mark Evanier mentioned he claimed to have had two dozen Action Comics #1's in his collection at one time.

My great uncle started his collection in the late 1940's and was also very condition aware early on tracking down earlier books he didn't own to add to his existing collection and as a kid I remember him mentioning crossing paths with Rick Durrell (I'm guessing at comic/book stores or those early cons). My great uncles collection remained intact but Rick Durrell seemed to have a massive collection with many multiples of books that finally got broken up.

After charging Durrell's widow fees for the restoration work he said that he did on nearly all of the books, Gerber advertised them in The Comics Buyers Guide, the best place to sell books in those days to a national audience. By the time he paid himself for the restoration work, there wasn't much left. At that point she got a lawyer and sued Ernie.

Do you know if she won the law suit?

You may be underestimating human nature in respect to nostalgia and the inherent need to collect and pass on what is deemed relevant. Also, the establishment of strong comic themed film franchisees would likely keep the interest in collectible comics alive even if the market were to shift entirely to digital, which I don't believe it will.

As I see it, there'll always be a need for some physical media in the marketplace even if modern comic collecting were to become a niche market. For instance, I suppose autograph seekers can always get their laptop cases signed by artists and writers, but in the long run that turns into even clunkier junk to store.

GA comic collecting is pretty darn healthy from where I sit. If there is a big ticket bubble, it's probably in the area of SA to modern ('64 on, after fandom started blossoming), that's where speculation collides head-on with census numbers. This is just food for thought; everyone's mileage varies. My 2c

Sorry, that was intended more as a comment as we move forward in time and more generations are produced in a period were physical media is being replaced by digital or non physical forms.

I was not trying to comment on the health of the hobby or near future outlook. I actually don't buy old comics for their future values (I have property, stocks,etc.) for that but I respect the concerns of those that do.

There is a noticeable decline in the interest of physical media happening and how that plays out in the collecting world into the future is anyone's guess.

This thread has made me drop my neutral opinion of Gerber who I met several times years ago into the shady arena.

The collecting field has always maintained its level of crooked people but it's always sad to see how low some go.

Taking advantage of a widow? Really?

Hope he made sure to kick the dog too on his way out the door. :(

The collecting field has always maintained its level of crooked people but it's always sad to see how low some go.

Sad but true.

Yet no matter how egregious the actions, no matter how strong the testimony, there always will be a few people who will stubbornly refuse to acknowledge the truth (for one reason or another).

Heck, women line up at prisons to marry convicted serial killers so there really is no accounting for some forms of human behavior.

It is what it is....

Don't quote me on this, this is second hand...but when steve geppi bought EG out...and I think it was for like 3.5 or something close to that...the case was settled. today the collection would be worth over 20 Mil easy....

Don't quote me on this, this is second hand...but when steve geppi bought EG out...and I think it was for like 3.5 or something close to that...the case was settled. today the collection would be worth over 20 Mil easy....

Interesting. Thanks.

This thread has made me drop my neutral opinion of Gerber who I met several times years ago into the shady arena.

This again is second hand, don't quote me....but EG did not use any profits to go to a "strip club"...but the profits were supposedly used to fund the Photo Journal Guide which was very expensive to produce...and very well done at the time....that guide help GA and all collecting in a very positive manner. Not to justify, how business was done, but that appears to be why this situation occurred in the first place...the project was his passion...

Edited by Mmehdy

You may be underestimating human nature in respect to nostalgia and the inherent need to collect and pass on what is deemed relevant. Also, the establishment of strong comic themed film franchisees would likely keep the interest in collectible comics alive even if the market were to shift entirely to digital, which I don't believe it will.

Sorry, that was intended more as a comment as we move forward in time and more generations are produced in a period were physical media is being replaced by digital or non physical forms.

I was not trying to comment on the health of the hobby or near future outlook. I actually don't buy old comics for their future values (I have property, stocks,etc.) for that but I respect the concerns of those that do.

There is a noticeable decline in the interest of physical media happening and how that plays out in the collecting world into the future is anyone's guess.

Unless we do away with the corporeal nature of human beings I do not think digital media will have much of an impact. The physical goods still remain relevant cultural artifacts. People still collect snuff boxes avidly and I have never meet anyone who takes snuff.

I think people confuse the fact that digital media means we will have fewer hard copy prints now with the desirability of things printed in the past. The two are separate issues and the transition to digital media is at best tangentially related and at most totally irrelevant.

This again is second hand, don't quote me....but EG did not use any profits to go to a "strip club"...but the profits were supposedly used to fund the Photo Journal Guide which was very expensive to produce...and very well done at the time....that guide help GA and all collecting in a very positive manner. Not to justify, how business was done, but that appears to be why this situation occurred in the first place...the project was his passion...

Yes, I own those books and bought a ton of Mylar from the guy over the years too but...

The ends don't justify the means.

If anything it just kind of shows how far people can get away from doing what's right for their "passions".

People never stop to amaze me though... :P

Yes, I own those books and bought a ton of Mylar from the guy over the years too but...

The ends don't justify the means.

If anything it just kind of shows how far people can get away from doing what's right for their "passions".

People never stop to amaze me though... :P

At the time, it created a new demand in the comic book market as for "classic covers" as well as exposing collectors to books they had never seen, hence then wanted. There is more to the story..it just cannot be placed on the board at this time.

Edited by Mmehdy

I was going to say "someone should talk to Richard Olson.

then I realized you are Richard Olson

:kidaround:

Since all of the other Richards are posting here....

It's a wealth of Riches.

Or possibly a coven.

Pace, my friends - I is only kidding.

So many Riches, so little time.... GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u