• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age War comics
15 15

1,407 posts in this topic

On ‎10‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 1:48 PM, Sqeggs said:

We don't usually post OA here (and I don't buy a lot of OA), but this piece really knocked me out.

lf_zpso4e1r88a.JPG

Interesting piece indeed, and a bit of a narrative de-bunker. In the years after the war leading up to the Nuremberg trials, the narrative developed that no one knew what was happening behind the German lines. Look at the date of 1939: people knew.

On 11/5/2017 at 1:03 AM, PopKulture said:
On 10/30/2017 at 2:48 PM, Sqeggs said:

We don't usually post OA here (and I don't buy a lot of OA), but this piece really knocked me out.

lf_zpso4e1r88a.JPG

Interesting piece indeed, and a bit of a narrative de-bunker. In the years after the war leading up to the Nuremberg trials, the narrative developed that no one knew what was happening behind the German lines. Look at the date of 1939: people knew.

I find the date a little curious.  I wonder whether it was actually 1938?  By November 1939, with Germany having overrun Poland, including the terror bombing of Warsaw, Hitler's false claims of being a proponent of peace would have been too obvious to comment on.  But the prewar Nazi pogroms of Kristallnacht took place about a week before this cartoon would have run, if the correct date were 1938.  The cartoon originally ran in the Dallas Morning News, so with some sleuthing I can probably nail down the correct date. 

And on the larger point, you are certainly correct that the Nazi persecution of Jews was well known before the war broke out.  For this cartoon to have made sense to the newspaper's readers, the paper must have been covering the events shown.

On 11/4/2017 at 12:07 PM, Robot Man said:

Foxhole#1 is a true classic. I bought a copy a few years ago and just this week I got a #3. I guess I am collecting them now too...

comfoxhole3.jpg

Let's be honest:  You collect everything:)

1 hour ago, CrocHntr said:

Nice group shot!  I just love the cover of the War Comics 4.  The flamethrower War Heroes cover is great too (as are they all).

My favorite of the lot pictured would have to be War Comics #2 :cloud9:

Edited by creaturefan95
war is hell

On 5/11/2017 at 7:03 AM, PopKulture said:
On 30/10/2017 at 7:48 PM, Sqeggs said:

lf_zpso4e1r88a.JPG

Right, but people knew… just to some point.
It’s not an invented thing that even General Rommel himself was not fully aware of what truly happened *within* various concentration camps up to the winter of 1943.
This is documented, and also around the time he spent in Italy after being injured.

Edited by vaillant

1 hour ago, Tri-ColorBrian said:

I guess everyone missed this, unless I missed a comment somewhere, so I'm gonna have to be the kiljoy...those 2 issues are from different series...but still neat...(thumbsu

Really?I know about the Super reprints,but I thought these were from the same series.