• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age War comics
15 15

1,407 posts in this topic

On 9/28/2022 at 6:54 PM, Forbush-Man said:

I only have two short G.A. War runs, but I'm proud of them: War Comics #1-4 & War Stories #5-8. 

WarComics1A.jpg

Amazing run!  :x  I have the full run as well and love ‘em!  

Looks like you have file copies for #2, #5, #6, and #8, I have #3, #4, and #7.  So looks like we only need file copy of #1 to complete the set!

Edited by CrocHntr

On 9/28/2022 at 6:11 PM, CrocHntr said:

Amazing run!  :x  I have the full run as well and love ‘em!  

Looks like you have file copies for #2, #5, #6, and #8, I have #3, #4, and #7.  So looks like we only need file copy of #1 to complete the set!

I would love to have them all as File Copies, The War Stories almost gets there.  I'm keeping an eye out for them & possible upgrades.  It's a challenging set to collect since they're scarce, but nice since they're not too pricey.  Thrill of the hunt. (thumbsu

On 9/29/2022 at 6:25 AM, IngelsFan said:

War Comics 4 beats it, even if it isn’t noted as a greytone on the cover. The figures in the spotlight are a grey/wash tone.

I hadn't even considered that.  Good point. Maybe more of a partial grey tone maybe???

This is outside of the usual postings for this thread, but, unless you were in a midshipman in the Royal Navy in the 19th Century, you are unlikely to have this background that will make easier reading (or watching), war stories set in the age of sail.  It is one of the most interesting documentaries I have watched this year.

Edited by adamstrange

On 9/30/2022 at 4:17 PM, CrocHntr said:

Looks like the CGC database was updated for the #1 and #2.  I have 2 copies of #2 with conflicting dates.  Of course I can’t crack them to validate for sure, but I think it should be 01/40 for #1, 05/40 for #2, and 07/40 for #3

8DD326B7-D1D4-4CF5-8D51-738052BE9AEE.jpeg

I wish i was able to get the #4 in that collection which would have been the highest graded .That copy has not been graded to this day but it was a collection full of stunning books from a soldiers locker (thumbsu