• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Steve Jobs passes away.

259 posts in this topic

No, it just seems that I'm the only one not confused. I challenge anyone to name just one of Job's inventions.

Hahahahahahahaha. You might want to leave the thread now.

Not up to the challenge?

According to the definition of "Inventor" held by the United States Patent and Trademark Office, Mr. Jobs was an inventor many times over.

No one is arguing that he was the second coming of DaVinci or Thomas Edison.

None of his patents are inventions, they are designs using other inventions.

I'm still waiting for one invention to be named. :busy:

No, it just seems that I'm the only one not confused. I challenge anyone to name just one of Job's inventions.

Not up to the challenge?

According to the definition of "Inventor" held by the United States Patent and Trademark Office, Mr. Jobs was an inventor many times over.

As I wrote, they're described in every US and World Patent on which he is listed as a co-inventor. If you choose to redefine what it means to be an inventor beyond the definition held by the US and other governments, then that's your personal issue.

I'm not fawning over Jobs like some people in this thread are, but I think that an innovator who takes an interesting idea or product and creates something new based on that idea or product is an inventor. (shrug)

Not up to the challenge?

As I wrote, they're described in every US and World Patent on which he is listed as a co-inventor. If you choose to redefine what it means to be an inventor beyond the definition held by the US and other governments, then that's your personal issue.

Designing and inventing are two different things. What's so hard to understand about that?

Just because the all-powerful government labels it as "inventor" well, I guess the book is closed huh? zzz

Not up to the challenge?

Designing and inventing are two different things. What's so hard to understand about that?

Just because the all-powerful government labels it as "inventor" well, I guess the book is closed huh? zzz

yawn.jpg

Ok, if we say you're right. WIll you shut up now?

I'm not fawning over Jobs like some people in this thread are, but I think that an innovator who takes an interesting idea or product and creates something new based on that idea or product is an inventor. (shrug)

Not necessarily. Sony co-invented the compact disk and subsequently the player. Anyone who created a better, smaller player for CDs only ever built on the foundation that someone else invented. That's innovation.

Apple didn't invent anything, ever.

They even admitted 3 years ago they did not invent the iPod.

Not up to the challenge?

I also challenge someone to explain how Jobs is better than any other major corporation CEO. How about U.S. manufacturing jobs? Where was the philanthropy?

Apple became exactly what they railed against in 1984.

While philanthropy is nice...it's not a trait necessary for a CEO or anyone.

Fact is, he employed tens of thousands of people (if not more) around the world. If that isn't helping people I don't know what is. And if you are talking about overseas cheaper labor, unfortunately all companies suffer from this and it's a reason our economy is hurting. Cheap overseas labor is necessary these days to compete. But, think of all the people in the USA that Apple does employ.

Here's an article and excerpt:

"A new study by The Journal of International Commerce and Economics sheds some light on this. It looks at the boost in jobs and profits to different countries resulting from the creation of Apple's almighty iPod. Some of the results aren't that surprising. The number of jobs created abroad, for instance -- 27,250 -- was more than twice the number created in the United States -- 13,920. There goes our manufacturing base, but we already knew that. A bit more surprising to some might be that China, at 12,270 jobs, didn't get the lions' share of jobs from the iPod's creation. Countries like the Philippines and Korea prospered more. Both got more jobs in relation to their smaller population sizes than China.

What's more interesting, as Chrystia Freeland at Reuters points out, is that Americans got the biggest boost in incomes from the invention. The 13,920 American workers earned more than twice the amount earned in Apple jobs abroad ($750 million for Americans, versus less than $320 million for non-Americans). According to the Economist's Ryan Avent, that just goes to show that, contrary to what a lot of U.S. politicians and labor advocates would have you believe, U.S. companies are still pitching in when it comes to boosting U.S. incomes, and U.S. growth."

http://curiouscapitalist.blogs.time.com/2011/07/07/did-apples-ipod-create-u-s-jobs/

And, he took their stock from $10 to $400 in a little over 10 years. I'd say that's a reason he might be better than other major corp CEOs.

I don't think the man walked on water but in the scheme of people who made an impact on this world and for the better...I find few in our Govt or private sector who come to mind.

Nobody is perfect and we can surely pick apart his failings but it's his overall achievement that I am celebrating today and moving forward for this lost genius.

Not up to the challenge?

yawn.jpg

Still not up to the challenge I see.

What's always been interesting to me is that all of the "open-minded" "hip" people have always blindly followed Apple and condemned Microsoft. What I find interesting is that Microsoft doesn't block users from content the way Apple has.

The missing "Flash" cartoons posted by someone above are pretty funny never mind the fact that I can't read a Playboy subscription through the Zinio app on my iPad. Why? Because Job's didn't want me to. There's something to be said about that.

Absolutely.

Buffy, your arguement that someone invented the stairs falls flat because the stairs are just an innovation of the wedge, or ramp.

The only true inventors by your definition are those that originally invention all the simple mechanical devices...level/fulcrum, wedge, pulley etc.

It's degrees of variation and someone that does it enough times AND becomes a household name (or his products do) would be considered a great inventor.

It's that simple.

Absolutely.

Buffy, your arguement that someone invented the stairs falls flat because the stairs are just an innovation of the wedge, or ramp.

The only true inventors by your definition are those that originally invention all the simple mechanical devices...level/fulcrum, wedge, pulley etc.

It's degrees of variation and someone that does it enough times AND becomes a household name (or his products do) would be considered a great inventor.

It's that simple.

Ok, so what did he invent? (shrug)

Not up to the challenge?

yawn.jpg

Still not up to the challenge I see.

What's always been interesting to me is that all of the "open-minded" "hip" people have always blindly followed Apple and condemned Microsoft. What I find interesting is that Microsoft doesn't block users from content the way Apple has.

The missing "Flash" cartoons posted by someone above are pretty funny never mind the fact that I can't read a Playboy subscription through the Zinio app on my iPad. Why? Because Job's didn't want me to. There's something to be said about that.

I've never condemned Microsoft or blindly followed Apple. I use products I like. I like Apple computers better than WIndows based PCs. I liked the iPOD better than the competition, I like the iPhone because of it's ease of use but some of the newer competitors sure look nice too. I'm hoping iPhone 5 can compete against the HTC phones. Those look really nice and who knows...i might switch one day.

Look, just admit you have some agenda with Apple and we can move on to making nice comments about a man who just passed away.

Oh, and he was an inventor. :)

Absolutely.

It's that simple.

Ok, so what did he invent? (shrug)

What does anyone invent?

If you want to use your line of thinking, you can narrow down every single "invention" ever made and trace it down to one or more common, simple machines that kids learn about in grade school.

And even those are not inventions....they are just innovations based on nature's "simple machines" like my elbow, etc.

My point is not to focus on what Jobs invented. It's to focus on what an invention actually is (compared to arguing what an innovation is) and realize that maybe the line between the two is not as clear as you might think it to be.

And I know nothing about Apple, Mac or Steve Jobs. Trust me on that. I know that this guy is a household name and his company is a powerhouse. That's about it.