• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1935-1940: The GOLDEN AGE of Golden Age

470 posts in this topic

Finally, back from a week of travel...

I can't believe that's your 3rd copy of Funny Pages #6. Seriously, what are the odds? Was that a book you were actively searching out, or did you just keep stumbling across it?

I love that Speed Comics #2. Great early GA super-hero cover. Reminds me of the covers on the 3-issue Whirlwind title.

I always thought this was a "prototype" of Superman the way the atlas pre-hero books are "prototypes". But once I got to read the story...WOW! It's a very firmly developed concept and character.

508401-more%20fun%2014a.JPG

589a8c6ca22fa_508401-morefun14a.JPG.c300edd8b8eaab6f0e993a84574e9f90.JPG

By the way you guys, this thread by far trumps the Have a Cigar, Golden Age only thread I started by about a billion times. I absolutely LOVE these books your posting, and I can't wait too see more Centaurs.

Hey CentaurMan, do you have an Amazing Man #5?

Also, how about some Fantastic Comics, like #3? You guys got that one?

Thanks. By the way CentaurMan, I'm curious to know what issues of New Comics and New Adventure Comics you have that you haven't yet posted.

I have New Comics 1, 6, 9, and 11. My New Adventure collection is actually a mini-run: 28, 29, 30, and 31. I'll post more scans later, after my in-laws leave town and I get my free time back...

The detail in the artwork on that cover is simply brilliant. Compare that to a modern "Foil" or "Aluminum" Hologram computer drawn cover. Wait, don't bother, there is no comparison. Am I a snob because I don't like anything printed after 1965 story-wise, nor anything past 1950 cover wise?

Damn you Centaur man...you're making me want to collect again! I received that Amazing-Man #9 in, and it's a really neat book, even for a low grade copy!

Shield, Fantastic Comics # 3 is on my want list Big Time,Hopefully I can get one in the next year or two!! In the meantime here's another Lou Fine Classic "Cover & Art inside under the name Basil Berold" cloud9.gif

scan.jpg

Shield, Fantastic Comics # 3 is on my want list Big Time,Hopefully I can get one in the next year or two!! In the meantime here's another Lou Fine Classic "Cover & Art inside under the name Basil Berold" cloud9.gif

scan.jpg

(Salivates) Incredible cover; never seen it before! Beautiful! acclaim.gif

That must've been in late 1939/early 1940 since they're still flying bi-planes! What's the date on that one?

scan.jpg

(Salivates) Incredible cover; never seen it before! Beautiful! acclaim.gif

That must've been in late 1939/early 1940 since they're still flying bi-planes! What's the date on that one?

The cover date for this issue is March 1940. This issue features the orgin of the Flame and USED to be one of the most expensive WW in the entire run according to OS. Strange thing is that OS has now dropped the premium on this orgin issue even though in the marketplace it seems to carry a premium over and above its sequential numbering. confused-smiley-013.gif

If it's really "VG++" condition, then it's a fair price. Not cheap, not overpriced. Reasonable. I get my best Centaur deals on eBay by finding books starting at well below fair value with no reserve, because there aren't usually enough competing bidders to get the price up to "fair value", unless it's truly a rare comic. In this case, it's not one of the rarer issues, although I have to say that the Speed Centaur stories are almost surreal in their oddness, and for that reason alone it's an interesting book.

My recommendation would be to buy it if you want it, because if properly graded it's a reasonable price, but if you want a great deal, pass and wait for another book. Don't hit the BIN, though. You'll probably get it for the opening price.