• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bernie Wrightson Appreciation Thread

287 posts in this topic

Just upgraded my HoM #255 and handed down my 9.0 copy to my little brother.

The HoM dollar issues (#251 thru #259) are soooooo difficult to find in NM due to the low print runs and spine splits.

HoM255cgc96_zps912be315.jpg

I don't think has to do with low print runs. it's probably due to extreme printing defects. Also, because these are 80 pagers, so they're more difficult to keep them in NM/MT shape.

The HoM dollar issues (#251 thru #259) are soooooo difficult to find in NM due to the low print runs and spine splits.

I don't think has to do with low print runs. it's probably due to extreme printing defects. Also, because these are 80 pagers, so they're more difficult to keep them in NM/MT shape.

I been hunting for these for while now, very very little luck

There is a thread on these boards that lists the print runs for these issues and all of them (#251 thru #259) had print runs of less than 85k issues and some were less than 70k issues. On top of that you have to consider that since they were not popular superhero titles they were not as likely to be carefully stored and then consider the ubiquitous bindery splits and you end up with very few near mint copies today. hm

There is a thread on these boards that lists the print runs for these issues and all of them (#251 thru #259) had print runs of less than 85k issues and some were less than 70k issues. On top of that you have to consider that since they were not popular superhero titles they were not as likely to be carefully stored and then consider the ubiquitous bindery splits and you end up with very few near mint copies today. hm

I just don't know (In this case) if low print runs have to do anything with it. I always see these 80 pagers on eBay and local comic conventions. And yes, they weren't superhero comics and yes they weren't carefully stored in those days. My opinion is...the printing defects was the big factor, because what you pointed out was the bindery splits. Also, creases on the front/back covers and tiny crease along the spine. (Kind of reminds me of the DC digests books)

Here's some data from the CGC census.

House of Mystery 80 pagers run was thru #251-259, It has a total of 6 (9.8's) graded in that run. World's Finest Comics 80 pagers run was thru #244-252 it has a total of 10 (9.8's) graded. And that's a superhero comic title. Did the World's Finest Comics 80 pages run had a low print run?? I don't know. Why it didn't have a higher 9.8 count if it was a superhero comics title? Well...I blame it on the printing defects that came along with these Dollar Comics ESPECIALLY the 80 pagers.

For those who appreciate Wrightson's work, I just added this into my collection and couldn't be happier... I'd always wanted a lab scene, and this coupled with Dr. Ingels and Frankenstein's expression, well this sure fit the bill for me!!!

Bernie also kindly signed it in the art for me so I can frame and preserve it appropriately.

It's just too cool... (worship)

DXAkNeEH_0603141814321.jpg

Totally Wrighteous! Congratulations!

I just don't know (In this case) if low print runs have to do anything with it. I always see these 80 pagers on eBay and local comic conventions. And yes, they weren't superhero comics and yes they weren't carefully stored in those days. My opinion is...the printing defects was the big factor, because what you pointed out was the bindery splits. Also, creases on the front/back covers and tiny crease along the spine. (Kind of reminds me of the DC digests books)

House of Mystery 80 pagers run was thru #251-259, It has a total of 6 (9.8's) graded in that run. World's Finest Comics 80 pagers run was thru #244-252 it has a total of 10 (9.8's) graded. And that's a superhero comic title. Did the World's Finest Comics 80 pages run had a low print run?? I don't know. Why it didn't have a higher 9.8 count if it was a superhero comics title? Well...I blame it on the printing defects that came along with these Dollar Comics ESPECIALLY the 80 pagers.

Looks like a 40% increase in graded 9.8 copies of World's Finest. :baiting:

:baiting:

My apologies. That was not my intent.

:baiting:

My apologies. That was not my intent.

No apologies necessary. :foryou: I truly enjoy reading these boards and sharing ideas and opinions. :headbang:

seeing the high grade HOM255 made me want a copy! I'd never seen that one before.

obviously not a 9.6 though.

IMG_3974_zpsm5ppw77h.jpg

Well it didn't take long to find a thread featuring my fav horror artist, BW

IMG_1795_zps7b3iy0pm.jpg

Beautiful copy! And yes, I agree Wrightson is a favorite of mine as well. One of the best

Welcome to the boards! This place is great. You are going to have fun here.