• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,832 posts in this topic

47 minutes ago, fastballspecial said:

It was overkill. While the movie might be fantastic, if you aren't buying these for 50% off the cover they will be in a few weeks anyway.
Massive print run.

I don't know re: massive print run. Talking with three LCS owners this weekend, they do not have any demand for the book so they are not ordering big on it. One of them has someone interested in the 1:50 BossLogic, but since they are not willing to cover the cost of ordering 50 copies to get it, and he figures he would not be able to sell more than 20 copies, he is only going to order to fill file requests with a couple of covers for the shelf. The other stores I talked to will hit the 1:50 mark, but nothing higher. For them, they were able to pre-sell the 1:50 at a high enough price to cover the cost so they are fine on unsold copies.

Edited by kimik

6 minutes ago, kimik said:

I don't know re: massive print run. Talking with three LCS owners this weekend, they do not have any demand for the book so they are not ordering big on it. One of them has someone interested in the 1:50 BossLogic, but since they are not willing to cover the cost of ordering 50 copies to get it, and he figures he would not be able to sell more than 20 copies, he is only going to order to fill file requests with a couple of covers for the shelf. The other stores I talked to will hit the 1:50 mark, but nothing higher. For them, they were able to pre-sell the 1:50 at a high enough price to cover the cost so they are fine on unsold copies.

How massive can any print run be nowadays? Didn't a chunk of shops close up and the ones that are left have got to be really cautious, no? Unless they were really good selling stuff online and such.

2 minutes ago, the blob said:

How massive can any print run be nowadays? Didn't a chunk of shops close up and the ones that are left have got to be really cautious, no? Unless they were really good selling stuff online and such.

Today, a massive print run is likely in excess of 100,000 copies.

2 hours ago, fastballspecial said:

Its a certified monster now.

I believe it is legit.  Look at Malibu Sun 13 right now.  This was speculated on even before spawn came out.  No one cared about MP#95 until May of this year.  So it is much more scarce than MS#13 for the first appearance of a character which is much more popular (Spider-Man).  Also, MS#13 came out in 1992 so it is 20 years older...so ask yourself where will MP#95 be in 20 years?  The answer is it depends where Spider-Man is in 20 years but I think this book will be even more of a monster as time goes on...

Edited by cbmitch

1 minute ago, cbmitch said:

I believe it is legit.  Look at Malibu Sun 13 right now.  This was speculated on even before spawn came out.  No one cared about MP#95 until May of this year.  So it is much more scarce than MS#13 for the first appearance of a character which is much more popular (Spider-Man).  Also, MS#13 came out in 1992 so it is 20 years older...where will MP#95 be in 20 years...I guess it depends where Spider-Man is in 20 years...

I still think UF4 is the money book... it took 15-20 years for Malibu sun 13 to become something more than a preview

1 minute ago, littledoom said:

I still think UF4 is the money book... it took 15-20 years for Malibu sun 13 to become something more than a preview

Agreed on UF4.  But I believe the scarcity is driving this book.  2446 9.8's on the regular version of UF4.  Even the 1:25 has 157 9.8's.  MP#95 has 6.  I'm not arguing first appearance, what count's, whom is right or wrong, etc.  Just there is definitely a market for this book...

32 minutes ago, cbmitch said:

Agreed on UF4.  But I believe the scarcity is driving this book.  2446 9.8's on the regular version of UF4.  Even the 1:25 has 157 9.8's.  MP#95 has 6.  I'm not arguing first appearance, what count's, whom is right or wrong, etc.  Just there is definitely a market for this book...

Just did a quick calculation and if one simply looks at the "market cap" of the 9.8's and compare UF#4/MP#95 to Spawn#1/MS#13 and neglect popularity (Spider-Man is many times more popular than Spawn), I estimate the FMV of MP#95 to be much higher than the $10k it is currently at.  And my opinion is this book has room to grow once one factors in the popularity of Miles Morales. 

Edited by cbmitch

12 minutes ago, azcards4ever said:

Wonder if others will benefit from this (i.e. Dark Horse Insider 46??? Thrawn..)

Possibly another one.  There are only two on the census after 25 years so the scarcity may be there.  So it all boils down to the popularity of Thrawn.

1 minute ago, cbmitch said:

Possibly another one.  There are only two on the census after 25 years so the scarcity may be there.  So it all boils down to the popularity of Thrawn.

Star Wars #1 1977 should be unattainable given the massive popularity comics-wise this year.. I know the print run is high but so is Hulk 181..

1 hour ago, cbmitch said:

Just did a quick calculation and if one simply looks at the "market cap" of the 9.8's and compare UF#4/MP#95 to Spawn#1/MS#13 and neglect popularity (Spider-Man is many times more popular than Spawn), I estimate the FMV of MP#95 to be much higher than the $10k it is currently at.  And my opinion is this book has room to grow once one factors in the popularity of Miles Morales. 

Correct Spider-man is far more popular than Spawn.

Miles morales as a comic book character more popular than Spawn? that's debatable.

I put Miles in the Harley Quinn category. More people were introduced to him outside of comics (movie and now video game), and thus the comics have gained traction.

Furthermore the popularity of the Spawn character spans 28 years. These are generational fans.

Are there some Peter Parker fans of Miles? Yes but I think you are giving Miles more credit than he's earned (yet).

Let's see where this character is after the 2nd movie. What if Spawn ever does make another movie.

Will I be saying the same thing about Malibu Sun then?

Who knows.