• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,832 posts in this topic

14 minutes ago, littledoom said:

Yes.. I was talking w other ebay sellers and yes the past couple weeks are reflective of that slowdown.. a mix of reopening/no current MCU show/ebay's horrible system updates.. but I think mainly reopening.. that means saved up money that was supposed to be spent on vacations is being spent on that vs comics.. also the prices of everything went up.. groceries, hardware, gas, etc

I think this hits the nail on the head. I dont think stimulus and unemployment were huge drivers for this boom (contributed a bit sure). Im going on vacation in a couple weeks too. 

People are finally getting out, kids getting out of school, and weather is starting to be nicer in most places so focus is just changing a bit.

4 minutes ago, rckstr1253 said:

Funny you say that I just got a copy of nemesis 1 Df variant with blood for a $1

I got a bunch of those a few years ago and damn it, almost all came back 9.6's. :/ 

So, I'll admit that I watch the spec vids like ComicTom and whomever, but I don't always act on them - it's just interesting to see what they're pumping on a regular basis, and like them or not I think they deserve some props on their content creation. But in a funny coincidence, I just watched a recent one and they were talking about Ultraman 1 - a comic that would never be on my personal radar.

I watched the video Saturday, and literally the next day (yesterday) I happened to pop in to a local comic and toy show. One toy guy had three short boxes of books and a sign saying "all comics 50% off" - this was in the first box:

IMG_2602.thumb.JPG.06967fe64f6d56c77b342d10a5a6cee6.JPG

So, thanks ComicTom 101! xD

45 minutes ago, fastballspecial said:

Lucky dog.

I am pretty much buyings any Spawn cheap in NM grade under 280. I have different amounts for different books, but I wont turn
down any copy in high grade. I see a wave coming.

It is unfortunate that I am no longer able to pluck stuff like #174 and #175 from one of the stores for $4 apiece any longer. They always had the homage covers marked up until a year or so ago, but not the other money books. I think the owner still has cases of Spawns in the back, but he is pressing and slabbing anything that could be a potential 9.6 or 9.8 now.

6 minutes ago, Jesse-Lee said:

So, I'll admit that I watch the spec vids like ComicTom and whomever, but I don't always act on them - it's just interesting to see what they're pumping on a regular basis, and like them or not I think they deserve some props on their content creation. But in a funny coincidence, I just watched a recent one and they were talking about Ultraman 1 - a comic that would never be on my personal radar.

I watched the video Saturday, and literally the next day (yesterday) I happened to pop in to a local comic and toy show. One toy guy had three short boxes of books and a sign saying "all comics 50% off" - this was in the first box:

But that isnt the first time this book was featured. It was featured last year as well. 

Marvel's Ultraman Hints That He Could Be Part Of The Main Marvel Universe (cbr.com)

Marvel Launches The Trial Of Ultraman in March 2021 (bleedingcool.com)

1 hour ago, rckstr1253 said:

Anyone else feel like eBay sales are starting to come to a halt than say 2 weeks ago?  I’m worried the good days might be over soon :(

A little but not much. The market is always slow in the late spring and summer months. It seems to be above other years based on my experience, but that’s all anecdotal. 

1 minute ago, fastballspecial said:

Oh, interesting! I hadn't seen those - I just thought it was a weird coincidence. I would have easily passed on that book, even for $3, if I hadn't seen that video. It actually kind of helps explain (to me at least) why you can still find good deals in the wild; it's almost impossible for someone to keep up with every single hot or popping book. Although I did get a high-grade copy of Marvel Comics Presents 79 for $2 from the same guy, so maybe he was a little more out of touch than most...

10 minutes ago, Jesse-Lee said:

I don’t watch these hucksters and don’t think they bring any value to the hobby. With that said, they’ve sent their mindless followers to my eBay listings in droves since they started. So, huckster on, snake oil Tom!

Just now, awakeintheashes said:

I don’t watch these hucksters and don’t think they bring any value to the hobby. With that said, they’ve sent their mindless followers to my eBay listings in droves since they started. So, huckster on, snake oil Tom!

Ha! Yeah, I take it all with lots of grains of salt, but I do enjoy comic content and there just isn't a ton of quality content out there I've found. I like Very Gary's stuff, and at least there's a decent amount of work/production that goes into Tom's content.

1 hour ago, fastballspecial said:

Not to me at least. Its still pretty steady I think I am slightly down to this month compared to last month, but
last month was an all time sales high for me.  On top of that child credits will start hitting soon.
When unemployment checks end in July I think is the real test to see if this market is artificial
or real. What do others think?

@jsilverjanet
@Hey Kids, Comics!

It definitely feels like it is on my end but I've been doing shows more than online. I just finished a three shows in three weeks loop and this last one was my worst show in over a year. Attendance was down 30-40% over the show in the same venue 10 weeks ago (granted that's two shows close together). I was at a different show that weekend in March so my stock was fresh to the people this weekend. Prior to 5/8, I had set personal records for dollar amount at every show since February. In April I did a show where I doubled my entire last HeroesCon total with just Saturday's sales. The market had been insane. Then on 5/8, I had a good show but 75% off my daily total was on one sale. Very few box diggers/pile builders and 95% wall sales. Last weekend, I did less than 5x my table cost which has been unheard of in the last year. Next to zero wall sales and very little box sales to supplement it. I couldn't keep big books on my wall over the last year, but last weekend I had slabbed Hulk 181, ASM 129, X-Men 12, XMen 129 9.4, ASM 361 9.8 and several other $1k+ books. Only a few tire kickers. It's DEFINITELY slowing down in person as the bonuses dry up, weather warming up/restrictions are lifted so people are going to travel. The big one to me is the unemployment bonuses going away. A LOT of people had more money than they knew what to do with and were moving heavy into the card/comic market. I think the bubble is going to pop soon and am looking to move a lot of big books because of it. I expect a flood of keys to hit ebay and a lot of items that were bought during the boom to be available at discounted prices in local Facebook Marketplace/OfferUp/Mercari/etc platforms. 

I thought unemployment runs out on Labor Day, not July? (notwithstanding that many states have suspended it already) The ongoing child credits are going to be interesting.

Pre-pandemic, this would've been a slow time maybe May 15-June 15 and people had graduations and end of school things, but I don't know how much of that is happening now.

With a lot of pent-up travel demand, that might cut into hobbies a bit. But more specifically for comics, I wonder if conventions restarting will cause a flow of dollars from online to in-person?

I'm pretty bullish about comics staying strong the next few years, regardless.

24 minutes ago, followtheleader said:

Now my search returns a lot more than before (it was literally six books). However, the only raw seller over that amount is 16. The others are 9.8 — which are good prices — but that also ratchets up the prices.

3 minutes ago, manetteska said:

Now my search returns a lot more than before (it was literally six books). However, the only raw seller over that amount is 16. The others are 9.8 — which are good prices — but that also ratchets up the prices.

Agreed on raw.  

I'd like to see what a raw 9.8 Bolland 5 would sell for.  Seems like those prices are pretty high for CGC, so a chance of cracking $200 raw. 

Patrick 

14 hours ago, fastballspecial said:

Not to me at least. Its still pretty steady I think I am slightly down to this month compared to last month, but
last month was an all time sales high for me.  On top of that child credits will start hitting soon.
When unemployment checks end in July I think is the real test to see if this market is artificial
or real. What do others think?

@jsilverjanet
@Hey Kids, Comics!

Sales are quite a bit slower but my over dollar amount is pretty steady just because of the recent sales of low number Invincible issues.  X-Men 282 seems to be doing well but as a whole I'd say things are quite a bit slower in general

Edited by 1Cool