• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,829 posts in this topic

I'm watching an odd comic that seems to be doing well. I don't know much about it other than I found it on The Market as per usual.

Purgatori: Heartbreaker #1 Premium sold at $17.99.

Currently one on eBay already at $23.50 with 8 hours to go and 4 bids. (shrug)

It's a little something different to report other than WD and ToT. lol

from my slickdeals days...the rule is never call ahead..it just alerts them that something is potentially hot.

Maybe. But if I just showed up, I wouldn't have gotten the $15 deal. Plus, wasting gas money is worse. If ur gonna flip books, u can't waste money driving to shops that don't have books u can flip.

I don't even want my shop owners knowing what I am buying out of the dollar box, I have an employee ring me up whenever possible and try to disguise purchases of multiples out of there if they are something I hope to flip. I don't want the owner seeing what I am buying and deciding maybe he can squeeze more out.

see, i don't have those kind of owners. the shops i go to know i flip. i've brought up ebay, online selling, etc etc...they all same the same thing..."i make good money on these books already. i pay $1.25...sell it for $3....etc etc"...so, okay.

plus, i don't buy books until they've gotten hot, so by then they've been on the shelves. i picked up a bunch of uncharted #1's after #5 came out. i cleaned out their 7 copies of suicide squad #6, and then they had 6 more 1st prints. and #7 is out.

Edited by Hawkman

The trajectory for WD was how a book with legs is born. A low print run in the beginning which ultimately becomes a popular long running series. WD 1 started demanding multiples of cover quickly and was selling into the low hundreds after 7 years. One cultural phenomenon later and the series has literally exploded. This was before Kirkman became "Midas Touch Kirkman".

All these new titles are following a very different path. Collector hoarding does not make a good long term investment, unless the non-collector becomes the consumer of the title. Even if they do, the landing after a parabolic rise is usually much more uncomfortable on the brown star.

Also, barring gimmicks like the New 52, Marvel and DC are as stagnant as a sex swing in an old age home. If it weren't for the torch carriers they would have major issues.

Much goodness in this post. :cloud9:

The trajectory of WD, the comment on the new titles, Marvel/DCs loss of creativity...

i have to disagree there, i called ahead to a comic store about a hour away to see if they have it, cause i'm not wasting gas to get there, and he said he did... he sold it too me for 4 bucks, i'm sure he didn't know what they were going for on ebay ( thief of thieves that is #1)

Then disguise it with a few other no-brainers like "Do you have the latest issue of Walking Dead, Batman the New 52 #2, Spawn and Thief of Thieves #1"

from my slickdeals days...the rule is never call ahead..it just alerts them that something is potentially hot.

Maybe. But if I just showed up, I wouldn't have gotten the $15 deal. Plus, wasting gas money is worse. If ur gonna flip books, u can't waste money driving to shops that don't have books u can flip.

I don't even want my shop owners knowing what I am buying out of the dollar box, I have an employee ring me up whenever possible and try to disguise purchases of multiples out of there if they are something I hope to flip. I don't want the owner seeing what I am buying and deciding maybe he can squeeze more out.

see, i don't have those kind of owners. the shops i go to know i flip. i've brought up ebay, online selling, etc etc...they all same the same thing..."i make good money on these books already. i pay $1.25...sell it for $3....etc etc"...so, okay.

plus, i don't buy books until they've gotten hot, so by then they've been on the shelves. i picked up a bunch of uncharted #1's after #5 came out. i cleaned out their 7 copies of suicide squad #6, and then they had 6 more 1st prints. and #7 is out.

i don't want the shops thinking of me as a junior dealer, just a compulsive comic hoarder. i freely admit I sold most of my expensive stuff when i bought my house, so the piles of stuff i buy don't look to suspicious as I'm a long time collector, plus I showed them pictures of my comic room, so it's pretty obvious I'm keeping the stuff (which, as a % of comics bought, is definitely true... so many moderns i've bought seem too much of a hassle to list)

Wolf

Zombies don't have the mass appeal of hiest/crime fiction. Just look at Box office numbers of both genres.

I was looking at the numbers between Walking Dead, Leverage, and White Collar. Movies are harder to compare, since hiest/crime movies as a rule get far more a-list talent than zombies, so I was trying to stick to TV shows.

Leverage and White Collar last season finales both have less a third of what the Walking Dead was.

I wasn't trying to argue that Thief of Thieves will not be a great book to make profit off of short term, I just don't think we'll see the crazy numbers of Walking Dead, I'd even be surprised it it hit Chew 1 numbers and held.

My point was, I can't see this book staying hot long term. Short term, if you can get them for cover, seems like a fantastic buy.

Does anyone else see the problem with trying to guess the next big book, when everyone else is doing the same thing, reading the same news, and buying multiple copies of the same book?

The next big comic books will be Chew and Locke & Key .They will not be as big as Walking Dead,but still big.There will never be a comic book as big as Walking Dead for decades. This was like a Haley`s Comet.

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

The trajectory for WD was how a book with legs is born. A low print run in the beginning which ultimately becomes a popular long running series. WD 1 started demanding multiples of cover quickly and was selling into the low hundreds after 7 years. One cultural phenomenon later and the series has literally exploded. This was before Kirkman became "Midas Touch Kirkman".

All these new titles are following a very different path. Collector hoarding does not make a good long term investment, unless the non-collector becomes the consumer of the title. Even if they do, the landing after a parabolic rise is usually much more uncomfortable on the brown star.

Also, barring gimmicks like the New 52, Marvel and DC are as stagnant as a sex swing in an old age home. If it weren't for the torch carriers they would have major issues.

+1

+1

Chew is still chugging along 2 years later. True, the print-run was so small on the #1 it's not purely a result of collector hoarding that the book immediately hit sky high levels. Whether it has another 3-4 years of legs is another story. Not sure how it would work as a "live" TV series, but I think it would make a fun adult-oriented cartoon. Problem is, those are tough sells. It's easy for me to get the wife to watch a zombie shoot em up show, something about illegal chicken and what not is a bit trickier.

I'm watching an odd comic that seems to be doing well. I don't know much about it other than I found it on The Market as per usual.

Purgatori: Heartbreaker #1 Premium sold at $17.99.

Currently one on eBay already at $23.50 with 8 hours to go and 4 bids. (shrug)

It's a little something different to report other than WD and ToT. lol

There's one selling on Ebay with a BIN 5 bucks (shrug)

Read YTLM, enjoyed it...but can't for the life of me remember how it ended.

YTLM ended in the future and Yorick had been cloned a few dozen times or more. It had some lady ( I believe it's th original Yoricks Daughter) who seemed to be hiring/interviewing a clone Yorick. She takes him to meet the original Yorick who at this time is old in age. The original Yorick is tied up in a stray jacket surrounded by clone Amsterdans. He tried recreating Amsterdand but couldn't find one with the right personality. Then it shows a flash back of Amsterdan dying. The next thing we know the original Yorick vanishes...some how escapes j stray jacket which true to Yorick fashion but it appeared as though he made his exit out j window of a 2-3 story building.

That's basically it.

YTLM ended in the future and Yorick had been cloned a few dozen times or more. It had some lady ( I believe it's th original Yoricks Daughter) who seemed to be hiring/interviewing a clone Yorick. She takes him to meet the original Yorick who at this time is old in age. The original Yorick is tied up in a stray jacket surrounded by clone Amsterdans. He tried recreating Amsterdand but couldn't find one with the right personality. Then it shows a flash back of Amsterdan dying. The next thing we know the original Yorick vanishes...some how escapes j stray jacket which true to Yorick fashion but it appeared as though he made his exit out j window of a 2-3 story building.

That's basically it.

Amsterdan in a stray jacket! lol

Seriously though, that sounds kind of weak in summary, but the book is one of the best single issues I've ever read. Perfectly executed and very emotional.

Machina's ending on the other hand is just brutally dark and makes you reassess the entire series. It's also a great ending, but for other reasons entirely.

That's basically it.

Amsterdan in a stray jacket! lol

Seriously though, that sounds kind of weak in summary, but the book is one of the best single issues I've ever read. Perfectly executed and very emotional.

Machina's ending on the other hand is just brutally dark and makes you reassess the entire series. It's also a great ending, but for other reasons entirely.

I never said Amsterdan was in a Straitjacket? My auto correcting butchering device may have changed up the words but can't recall mentioning Amsterdan wearing one.

Not to be a pedant, but wasn't it Ampersand? In other words: a pun on '&' (shrug)

Hell if I remember, I haven't read the book in years. I thought I was doing pretty good remembering what I did lol

I was just giving you a hard time - it's Ampersand (i.e. '&').