• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,793 posts in this topic

I'm still shocked that many dealers don't know whats up. I bought 3 sets today of 1 and 2 ToT's plus a first print of Fatale 1, all for cover. I've gotten 5 sets (of 1 and 2) from them in 3 days, all for cover.

I consider to be friends with them and I'm considering giving them a set back for free.

They asked me why so many, and I told them I was doing a trade for the BW cover.

I felt bad. :P

I asked a local store about this, that still has ToT, Saga, and Fatale on the shelf.

They said they make enough money off the regular prices, they're happy to sell it for cover, because it gets people through the door knowing they'll be able to find their copies of anything for cover.

Makes some sense to me.

They do however, sell some copies on eBay, everything new in the store however, stays at cover.

Then I would be at that store when it opens to get all the ToT #1s I can carry. :idea:

You'll get to the counter - where they'll tell you it's one per. :gossip:

See, I understand a few trips to the LCS in a week or two, and picking up a few of each issue I want. I FEEL dishonest going up to the counter with 8 copies of the same book. 3, maybe 4 on the other hand doesn't look nearly as bad.

I suppose it's all up to the intellect of those people working behind the counter ringing you up. But as that stands, I have yet to meet ONE person who's worked at a comic book store that actually knows how to handle a comic - let alone those that know that certain new issues are selling for more than cover online.

on a side note, why do ALL of the shops I go to use big plastic bags? What happened to those nice paper comic bags that keep the comic readable until I get home?

And with that, I shall go to bed.

I sold all my tot , saga, danger , etc all at a discounted from cover price. I know what they are selling for on the secondary market but I feel no need to squeeze out every penny. I give away to my customers the 1:50,1:100,1:200 variants etc.

Heck I just bought a set of tot 1-2 for $25 and will be selling to my customer for cover less his sub discount rate. For some it is about the hobby and not always about the dollar

I have yet to meet ONE person who's worked at a comic book store that actually knows how to handle a comic - let alone those that know that certain new issues are selling for more than cover online.

You're of course referring to the 'lobster grip', where the clerk grabs the book in a pincer between thumb and fingers, putting a spine crease about two inches above the bottom staple. :mad:

I have yet to meet ONE person who's worked at a comic book store that actually knows how to handle a comic - let alone those that know that certain new issues are selling for more than cover online.

You're of course referring to the 'lobster grip', where the clerk grabs the book in a pincer between thumb and fingers, putting a spine crease about two inches above the bottom staple. :mad:

YUP.

I worked at a comic book store for five years, and am convinced that the average condition of the comics that left the store then was much higher than it is now thanks to me. What's worse is that most places scan comics now, making the task of ringing the customer up much more difficult (or at least they seem to make it much more difficult).

sigh...

My LCS always seems to be eating greasy breakfast sandwiches on Weds. morning. If G.A.tor ever expands to this neck of the woods i would quit my job to work for him. Ethics and morals are hard to find in any business nowadays.

YUP.

I worked at a comic book store for five years, and am convinced that the average condition of the comics that left the store then was much higher than it is now thanks to me. What's worse is that most places scan comics now, making the task of ringing the customer up much more difficult (or at least they seem to make it much more difficult).

sigh...

+1

I found 2 copies of ToT 1 and 2 yesterday that were both NM+ or better, until the store clerk rang me up. He used the 'lobster grip' the put a couple of nice spine ticks in most of the books. I asked if he had a couple of bag/boards for the books before he rang me up, but there was of course nothing.

The store I got them from is mostly a card game store, so that definitely should have been a sign that the clerks didn't know how to handle books.

Edited by lemonman5

what's worse, taking 8 of a comic or sorting through several hundred before customers get a shot at them and removing the potential 9.9s & 10s.

it's all in how you look at it.

by the time i get them they're all smashed and dinged....the most i've taken at once in a store is 3. i just order if i want larger quantities.

Edited by krighton

All the comics on our racks get bagged and boarded before they are even put out for sale

I don't know why the 5 or stores in our area don't really do this ever.

At least Mavericks tends to throw them in bags and boards after the first week they are out so they are moved from being just laid out on top of counter space to being in rows on shelves, now if only they would just bag and board them the day they put them out.

The store I use to work at would take the old releases from the shelves and put them all in long boxes (with NO boards or bags). Then, anywhere from 2 weeks - 6 months later they were eventually bagged and boarded. The problem is that comics become warped sitting in a box for that long, not to mention stuff being stacked on top of them.

and actually this makes me remember something quite unusual:

There were 8 long boxes on a table behind the counter at the store with all of the "display" comics that couldn't be displayed in the store for lack of room. These display comics were all in mylar with no backing boards and to sum it up, were comics that ranged from $20 to $1000. ALL of the other employees in the store, except for the manager, would ALWAYS put stuff on top of the boxes - and I mean heavy stuff like cases of magic cards, huge piles of videogames, you name it! My heart would drop to the floor every time I saw stuff on top of these comics because I couldn't understand how these people didn't think they were them up. SO many of those books ended up damaged in some way or another. So if employees don't care about old comics, why care about some book that was just printed yesterday?

Sorry to have gone on a rant, but wow, just wow. I see no problem taking the "potential" 9.9s or elusive, pristine 10.0s because the chances that they'll be there at the shops I go to are slim to none anyways.

All the comics on our racks get bagged and boarded before they are even put out for sale
:o I wish I lived close to your store :(

The store near me does that as well, and the owner isn't even a comic guy. Of course, he also over stuffs his racks to the point that the whole stack starts buckling.

we have a store here in niagara falls that dosent even take the books out of the diamond shipping boxes for weeks. they just sit on the floor and you go through them. the store is such a fire hazard, its shocking..boxes everywhere on the floor