• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,842 posts in this topic

Time for my evening rant:

What's the deal with people that bid prematurely on Ebay? There are aholes that go back and forth days before the end of an auction chizzeling each other. I'm used to the last minute snipes and wait until the 11th hour to start watching so I'm not just bidding up the item in question....

Some people just use no common sense.....why beat each other over the heads with the bidding only to let others know how much interest there is in the item and drive the price up needlessly?

Great for the seller, but it often looks like a contest between bidders.

Now I'm not talking about shillers because they have an obvious agenda...I'm talking about legitimate buyers....

I'll be damned if I put in a high bid days before or hours before only to start a bidding frenzy.

Doesn't anyone teach bidding etiquette anymore? Jeeze louise it's auction 101 people!

What's the deal with people that bid prematurely on Ebay? There are aholes that go back and forth days before the end of an auction chizzeling each other. I'm used to the last minute snipes and wait until the 11th hour to start watching so I'm not just bidding up the item in question....

Some people just use no common sense.....why beat each other over the heads with the bidding only to let others know how much interest there is in the item and drive the price up needlessly?

Now I'm not talking about shillers because they have an obvious agenda...I'm talking about legitimate buyers....

I'll be damned if I put in a high bid days before or hours before only to start a bidding frenzy.

Doesn't anyone teach bidding etiquette anymore? Jeeze louise it's auction 101 people!

I have never used sniping software or tried to manually snipe an auction. I just put my max bid in and go. (shrug)

It's an auction. That's what is suppose to happen.

Sean: that's a way to do it, but I see two issues with that...

1) You get outbid quickly

2) You drive up the price on yourself

For me the ideal situation is to wait until fairly late in the auction and then bid a ridiculous price that I'm actually willing to pay. If there's a frenzy at the end there usually isn't enough time to get to my bidding price unless someone is more fanatical about the item.

I just don't understand why folks bid against themselves by bidding the way they do. They easily jack up the cost by hundreds if not thousands sometimes.

For me the ideal situation is to wait until fairly late in the auction and then bid a ridiculous price that I'm actually willing to pay. If there's a frenzy at the end there usually isn't enough time to get to my bidding price unless someone is more fanatical about the item.

I just don't understand why folks bid against themselves by bidding the way they do. They easily jack up the cost by hundreds if not thousands sometimes.

You are absolutely right. But I am never disappointed if I get outbid, because I put my max in. I also never overpay or get hosed if someone else puts in an obscene snipe. And I sometimes I still win stuff, good stuff. Mostly for really good prices. I have lost on tons of stuff, for sure, but it is always on my own terms, and not because I forgot to set a snipe or something.

I was going to write quite a few words in response to this but basically it comes down to this:

a lot of ebay users are stupid and/or lazy.

Reason:

1) Sometimes, when sellers see no bids on their items but a lot of watchers, they end it prematurely to avoid selling low. Some bidders avoid this by bidding early.

2) Not all bidders can monitor their bidding activities. Some just put their maximum bid and leave it there, hoping they win.

3) Even for those bidders who monitor their activities, there might be some activities that will demand them to put off ebay for a while (1 or 2 days); hence, they put their maximum bid early

But yeah, I hate it when a bidding frenzy starts on my watched items.

?? Isn't that generally how an auction works??

I mean, I usually put in a mid-range bid, see where it goes, and save my absolute max bids for the last couple minutes.

BUT, I mean, if it gets bid high early on, then why bother to keep looking at the item?? Once it's over-priced, just move on to another one.

Why would one continue to bid on an over-priced item, when there are others going for half the price??

?? Isn't that generally how an auction works??

I mean, I usually put in a mid-range bid, see where it goes, and save my absolute max bids for the last couple minutes.

BUT, I mean, if it gets bid high early on, then why bother to keep looking at the item?? Once it's over-priced, just move on to another one.

Why would one continue to bid on an over-priced item, when there are others going for half the price??

The idea, i think is to not allow the aution to overheat, so that the item does not reach an over-priced level too soon...

That's not always the case though, with regards to driving up price.

Say that Panzerschnauzer #1 is going for $300 consistently.

if someone bids $270 early on, and it gets to that, then someone else bids $285, then it gets to $305 with 2 days left, people aren't GENERALLY going to continue to bid JUST because there's so much time left. There might be a few more bids, but I mean, it's not going to go up to like $425, $500, $600 if there are others #1's listed, or that are available regularly. (I'm sure this OCCASIONALY happens, but like, why would someone continue to bid hundreds over?? I don't get the logic behind that, UNLESS it's a unique or VERY limited item i.e. only 1, 5, 50, 100, etc.)

Edited by Dukes40

I was going to write quite a few words in response to this but basically it comes down to this:

a lot of ebay users are stupid and/or lazy.

? You're sitting at a computer while on eBay. There is laze involved no matter how you're bidding.

I rarely bid on eBay, but when I do I always do the same thing.

I bid early with about half the amount I am willing to spend. This is in hopes if the item is flooded another bidder sees someone else really wants it and goes to another item with no bids yet.

It usually works and I spend a lot less than I wanted to.