• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,835 posts in this topic

His high number of bids on that item are the result of another bidder. The bidder in question places a bid. The full value of that bid isn't shown, only the value necessary to be winning the auction at that time. The bids that come after that are the result of someone bidding against him. The second bidder keeps bidding but his bids don't show until he makes a bid that is higher than the first bidders original high bid that wasn't previously displayed.

If an item has a current high bid of two dollars and I place a max bid of fifty dollars, the fifty dollars doesn't show up as the leading bid, it will only display the lowest price necessary at that time to win the auction, so it would say three dollars. If someone else starts bidding against me and they bid five dollars, ebay will show the price rising to 5 dollars but it will show that that was my bid since my high bid is already higher than that. If the second bidder bids again with seven dollars, the auction will show another bid from me with the bid of seven dollars. When you see a string of bids from somebody it is often the result of a 2nd bidder trying to find the price ceiling of the first bidder.

I don't think that auction is shilled. That book is a one of a kind considering the grade and link to the creator. The current price is understandable.

2. Considering demand. Walking dead is huge. However, PP has the potential to be even bigger because it is based on a subject matter that appeals to a broader audience. If the show is quality, and the comic story can draw people in, things will explode. If not then, speculators will be looking to dump those stocks.

Not looking to argue, but want to discuss this point. You state "PP has the potential to be even bigger because it is based on a subject matter that appeals to a broader audience." I assume you are talking about it being based on Peter Pan?

This isn't necessarily aimed only at Mike's Rack, so please anyone chime in: Is Peter Pan really a broader audience than the zombie genre?

its up there PP has huge international potential. if done right this will be huge !

No next question

PP has the potential to be even bigger than Walking Dead. What have you been smokin'? You can't possible think that a subject matter on WW2 & Nazi's is going to appeal to a larger audience.

Let`s take a look at them.

What`s the biggest audience for Walking Dead?

18 to 40 year old males who like Zombies.

Will this same crowd like a Peter Pan based TV show?

It`s debatable.

hm

I'm not sure if my comment spurred this discussion however, I want to make clear that I don't believe PP will each walking dead heights. I don't think any modern will. That was never my point. However, considering the subject matter alone, I do think PP has more potential. If these books both came out at the same time and they were both on issue 12 and someone told me that one of these books would be on cable TV with millions of viewers and tons of merchandising, I would have pegged PP as the book. We now have the benefit of hindsight with WD but the truth is, few people if any, called this book for several years. The book didn't succeed because of zombies, it succeeded because of a good story and mostly because of the prison arc. Honestly I am a horror buff and I like zombie flicks but most zombie books suck and have a canned repetitive story. I really enjoy reading WD, though I long for the magic of the prison era.

I don't think many recognized the potential WD had until the story developed. If I had I would have a hoard of these, the truth is even most believers have sold off their hoards. I know of no other zombie comics that have come even remotely close to walking dead. I still think the subject matter of PP has more potential than zombies to a mass television audience.

I would have still put my money on TWD because with TWD vs PP it's an unlimited comic versus a 25 issue comic.

I know im digging this up from a few days back in this thread, but i find it crazy that noone has mentioned what is imo the real reason WD was /is so huge. Someone mentioned the demographic being male 18-40. Intially, that might have been the case, but the writing and what they decided to put on screen attracted the opposite.

TWD plays out on screen like a soap opera. I would be willing to bet a LOT of money that more women 18-40 watch this show than men. I have a large family, of which most are women. Ive had to sit through more soap operas than I care to remember. We are all in our 30's now

When my sisters called me to come watch season two premiere of TWD at one of their houses i was confused. I went and they had a party, 5 sisters and 10 of their female friends, and me. The way they talked about the characters, the passion they had for the show reminded me of soap operas with that " impending doom" added to it. Thats when i realized why it was so huge. Females love this show. Females who would never touch a comic, never watch a scifi movie, or tv show are watching this.

To me, this show would have been good no matter what, but they way its produced and edited, draws in the women. This is why its so huge imo. They have everyone 18-40 interested.

I sold a wack load of day men 1s for $10 plus today

Getting closer to the $20 mark now...anyone see this continuing?

This book is on fire in the last 2 days and it keeps getting hotter

http://www.ebay.com/sch/Comics-/63/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=Day+men+1+-x+-xmen&_sop=1

very curious if it'll last though.....

Most moderns do not..

stike first. strike hard.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/Comics-/63/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=Day+men+1+-x+-xmen&_sop=1

Why is this book on fire? Is it a good read?

Good read, suggested low print run, and mention of a movie. That should be enough to get it going. Interesting to see if the book is good enough to keep it going.

I'm noticing a pattern with Boom studios and ONI Press regarding hot books. We've had Six Gun Gorilla, Polarity, day Men, 2 Guns, next Testament, and Irredeemable from Boom with Sons of Anarchy on the way. A lot of high quality low print run stuff that people seem to give a try.

Once has put out Helheim, the 6th Gun, Mysterious Strangers, and more that have also been well received. Letter 44 is on the way too !

Add those to the fact that DC, Marvel, Image, Dark horse, and IDW are putting out a ton of great stuff and you see why very few comics stay hot forever.

I'm noticing a pattern with Boom studios and ONI Press regarding hot books. We've had Six Gun Gorilla, Polarity, day Men, 2 Guns, next Testament, and Irredeemable from Boom with Sons of Anarchy on the way. A lot of high quality low print run stuff that people seem to give a try.

Once has put out Helheim, the 6th Gun, Mysterious Strangers, and more that have also been well received. Letter 44 is on the way too !

Add those to the fact that DC, Marvel, Image, Dark horse, and IDW are putting out a ton of great stuff and you see why very few comics stay hot forever.

Right on.

Speculators and fans only have so many dollars to spend.

It won't. Also there were a ton of these at the Boston Con for pennies. Anyone know the print run?

It won't. Also there were a ton of these at the Boston Con for pennies. Anyone know the print run?

Your implying they were in fifty cent boxes.

doubtful.

Four hundred pennies at my table. ( even discounted for qty )

Based on the fact that I sold over 100 there weren't many more on the floor at that price.

12k print run including variants

Good read, suggested low print run, and mention of a movie. That should be enough to get it going. Interesting to see if the book is good enough to keep it going.

+1 to all of the above. Wish I hadn't :censored: cut my order since I'm getting $25 a piece right now...

Your implying they were in fifty cent boxes.

doubtful.

Four hundred pennies at my table. ( even discounted for qty )

Based on the fact that I sold over 100 there weren't many more on the floor at that price.

12k print run including variants

1.00 a piece at one table but I didn't buy and the stack was tall. I'm just angry that I missed the quick flip some are enjoying this morning. Your table was pretty sick tho and your prices were very reasonable.

Low print runs = $$$ . A lot of new books are getting missed when they are released and when the hype hits they scramble.

Sold a 2 Guns # 1 this morning for $30. DC new 52 # 1's all weekend long on the bay.