• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,832 posts in this topic

the winning bidder has used 5% of his bids on the sellers' items, while the under bidder has used 19% of his bids. possible shilling, though it seems likely at least that the winning bidder was real. i was involved in a similar auction (i stopped at $66) that ended at about $120, but that one seemed like more blatant shilling.

With so many items seeing rises in price to new levels, more than the shilling, its gotta be all the new money come into the market. New persons into the hobby may not know how to price items that are continuously seeing new highs. I remember back in 2010 when I returned to collecting, I was overpaying for everything.

New hobbyists with low feedback can often be confused with shills. I only have a feedback of 36 on ebay and sometimes I like to manually increase my bid increments one bid at a time. I sure it must give other bidders pause for thought.

the winning bidder has used 5% of his bids on the sellers' items, while the under bidder has used 19% of his bids. possible shilling, though it seems likely at least that the winning bidder was real. i was involved in a similar auction (i stopped at $66) that ended at about $120, but that one seemed like more blatant shilling.

Not really, can't just say "That's shilling" when you see a high price on something that's out of the norm. Lot of low feedback bidders are still learning how ebay works, if they get outbid, they will keep trying till the are winning the auction, so it can be confused with shilling. Have to remember Winter Solder is super hot right now, $66 is far too low to even bother trying to win that, that's only $33 each. The books will cool off once the movie leaves the theater but right now, everyone and thier sister wants those books.

Not really, can't just say "That's shilling" when you see a high price on something that's out of the norm. Lot of low feedback bidders are still learning how ebay works, if they get outbid, they will keep trying till the are winning the auction, so it can be confused with shilling. Have to remember Winter Solder is super hot right now, $66 is far too low to even bother trying to win that, that's only $33 each. The books will cool off once the movie leaves the theater but right now, everyone and thier sister wants those books.

you guys, i'm not talking about low feedback. i'm saying a large percentage of their bids is with the seller. one of the bidders has made 19% of his bids on the sellers' items. there's another set where the winning bidder had 46% of his bids with the seller. i'm not saying that is shilling, i'm just wondering because these books still sell for considerably less separately, and i know people pay more to get both at the same time, but i'm just being sure.

there has been a slowing down of listed copies, so maybe tons more people are clamoring for copies, or maybe these bidders just happened to buy a bunch of stuff from this seller, but these books go for waaayyyy less separately. i just bought some sets, so i hope sets are going for that much, but i want to be certain of it.

Edited by Hawkman

Have to remember Winter Solder is super hot right now, $66 is far too low to even bother trying to win that, that's only $33 each.

the Cap cover is on ebay right now for $24.99 buy it now. there's one ending in four hours at $16. an auction for the bucky cover listed as Mint went for $91, but then an auction for both went for $70 just minutes later. i've also seen most Bucky covers going for $40-48 right now, so my top bid was what these are roughly going for.

Edited by Hawkman

You are probably right though, but only fresh blood really falls prey to these predatory shilling practices. The smart money can't be fooled. Most of us hear probably would not fall prey to one of these shills. Like I said in another thread, I decline all second chance offers out of principle, just in case.

lol another week another tv/movie option. yawwwwnnnn

If you have read scalped you would know this one would make an amazing show. Read the first TPB and you will be hooked.

+1 fantastic series. Also, why yawn? The tv/film industries constantly dipping into comic material is nothing but good for the long term sustainability of comics IMO. I love seeing anything get optioned.

I tried the Scalped TPB and had trouble getting past the first few pages. I will have to try again. I yawn because every week we have a new TV show announce and I have yet to see one come to fruition.

The only 2 that I can think of are WD and Arrow. Am I missing anything else?

to quote wikipedia "when a screenplay is optioned, the producer has not actually purchased the right to use the screenplay; he has simply purchased the "exclusive right" to purchase the screenplay at some point in the future, if he is successful in setting up a deal to actually film a movie based on the screenplay."

I am all for great comic books get their time to shine on the big screen but it is a long road.

19% is not bad. I am seeing sellers use shills to see how you will you then offer a second chance for a $1 immediately.

Supposedly the winner got paid, so that's all that matters. A book is worth what someone is willing to pay.

(thumbs u

We say it in the car biz all of the time. Something is worth what the seller and buyer can agree on. Book values don't write checks. lol

There might be some recap here as the people who post in this thread are pretty on top of things but here are a list of books bubbling to the top:

Thief of Thieves #1 @ $41 & 11 bids - little discussed (at least in comparison to the other books) and it's still doing very well in the aftermarket.

Scalped #1 @ $31 & 9 bids just popped onto the list sometime yesterday. TV show huh?

Superior Spider-Man 29 Variant @ $28 & 16 bids - Campbell and Black Cat. Nuff said.

Captain America #6 @ $26 & 18 bids. - The new market darling since the movie premiere.

Copra Compendium @ $26 & 2 bids. - One of those rarely spoken about books that are all over the MA comics to watch list. No one seems to know about it.

Strain #1 @ $23 & 16 bids. - Starting to see it more and more.

Gotham Girls #3 @ $15 & 3 bids. - Probably a Harley Quinn thing.

Captain America #14 @ $14 & 3 bids. -Just starting to warm up again.

The rest of the list

There might be some recap here as the people who post in this thread are pretty on top of things but here are a list of books bubbling to the top:

Thief of Thieves #1 @ $41 & 11 bids - little discussed (at least in comparison to the other books) and it's still doing very well in the aftermarket.

Scalped #1 @ $31 & 9 bids just popped onto the list sometime yesterday. TV show huh?

Superior Spider-Man 29 Variant @ $28 & 16 bids - Campbell and Black Cat. Nuff said.

Captain America #6 @ $26 & 18 bids. - The new market darling since the movie premiere.

Copra Compendium @ $26 & 2 bids. - One of those rarely spoken about books that are all over the MA comics to watch list. No one seems to know about it.

The rest of the list

I can't believe ToT is still doing as well as it is. I have passively followed it (I need one for my run, but not in a rush to get one), and despite this series falling off the radar, #1 is still doing well.

The rest of the list

I can't believe ToT is still doing as well as it is. I have passively followed it (I need one for my run, but not in a rush to get one), and despite this series falling off the radar, #1 is still doing well.

Exactly. Which to me means this book isn't about speculators flipping anymore and instead is based on good stories and a fan base. hm

The rest of the list

Exactly. Which to me means this book isn't about speculators flipping anymore and instead is based on good stories and a fan base. hm

It's off their radar for sure, good time to build a run if you have done so, or buy some slabs if you haven't done so, I just bought the 1/10 thompson and third eye in 9.8 for $50 bucks a piece, I think these had neared $100 earlier during the speculator craze.

It's off their radar for sure, good time to build a run if you have done so, or buy some slabs if you haven't done so, I just bought the 1/10 thompson and third eye in 9.8 for $50 bucks a piece, I think these had neared $100 earlier during the speculator craze.

I think you are talking about Revival.

We are discussing ToT (just FYI)

You could just make a meme of Batman slapping Robin about it :grin:

I think you are talking about Revival.

We are discussing ToT (just FYI)

You could just make a meme of Batman slapping Robin about it :grin:

yeah, thanks, got the revival thread crossed with this one.

but the same basically applies for TOT, I just picked up a 1-3 cgc 9.8 for $220