• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
69 69

63,908 posts in this topic

Someone needs to put up a pic of Admiral Ackbar.

its-a-trap.jpg

You can call him smart for capitalizing and hoping people either don't notice in the frenzy or don't care

I call it a risky move that will likely result in surplus negative feedback and possibly more. He's protecting himself with that "non recalled" line and they'll be released "any day now", but is it even known if there will FOR SURE be a reprinting yet??

I'm not saying he's smart or that it won't end badly, I'm just saying there's a difference between attempting to capitalize and an actual 'scam'. That's a dangerous word that should be reserved for things that are actually well...scams, which implies that some type of fraud or crime is being committed. "trap" seems like a reasonable term to use, or 'scumbag'.

Someone needs to put up a pic of Admiral Ackbar.

its-a-trap.jpg

You can call him smart for capitalizing and hoping people either don't notice in the frenzy or don't care…

I call it a risky move that will likely result in surplus negative feedback and possibly more. He's protecting himself with that "non recalled" line and they'll be released "any day now", but is it even known if there will FOR SURE be a reprinting yet??

I agree.. eBay has the new "defect rate" rule, in which, any return results in a defect.. So in essence, even if he doesnt get a negative feedback on this listing but gets returns on them, it will still put him in the red,,

On the other hand, some buyers on eBay just buy stuff thats trending, without even knowing what the fuss is about.. So if he gets more of those buyers in, he may not even get a single return!

I'm obviouly more forgiving than you guys but I'll leave a neg. im not going to ruin the whole guys business though over this.

Think of it more as outlining the guy's business practice for future buyers. That is the purpose of feedback.

I'd hate to be the buyer of the next hot item, have the guy pull the same trick, and then find out that he'd done it before but no one had spoken up about it.

+1

I'm just now catching up.

I think you have to leave the negative feedback.

Future buyers could be wanting a book, buy from him, then learn they aren't getting it.

Then what happens if they can't find it anywhere else because it is now sold out?

I think it is important to share these experiences with future buyers so they can decide whether to gamble on the buy or not.

I still dont understand why its recalled? because of the Hulk action figure or because of some movie announcement which is leaked in the book.. so confused

That's because it is not recalled. It is delayed despite what some here would have you believe. 2c

Edited by rjrjr

Here's a revision then. I wonder how many thousands and thousands and thousands of people who don't read this thread (and some that do) don't realize it's a reprint. I've never seen anyone put that in their listing.

I wonder how many people realize that "What If venom Possessed Deadpool" #1 is a reprint. That has to be the top $ paid for a modern age reprint. I don't think even Walking Dead Weekly #1 was hitting quite that high consistently.

its been mentioned at least 4 times in this thread

I'm going to list exclusive "no cover" hot topic variants. The starting price is 1 billion, Obo. They are in NM+ condition.... Except for the missing cover part... They will come bagged with no board and shipped securely folded in an envelope With "do not fold again" written on it.

Oh and free shipping.

Positive feedback only!!!

No returns Accepted.

PM me for details and sexy pics.

I love that cover, but it can definitely be compared to other reprints since it's a reprint. I have sold a bunch of them, and think it's a really cool book that should have always just been it's own one shot, but in reality it's still a reprint.

It is?

Well I for one had no idea.

What was it originally in?

I missed that too. (shrug)

What If books, as a BACKUP story.

This book cannot be compared to TWD Weekly, Marvel Tales, Marvel Super Action books for example because it has a totally new cover, by a hot artist and it's a collected edition of backup stories.

I still dont understand why its recalled? because of the Hulk action figure or because of some movie announcement which is leaked in the book.. so confused

That's because it is not recalled. It is delayed despite some here would have you believe. 2c

who the heck knows anymore.. the whole thing is so absurd.. iev heard people saying that this hottpic malarkey is the next 35 cent star wars :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

People forget that - this book had a million variants and I wouldnt be surprised that even if its recalled the print run of that variant will prolly be higher than some other variants of the same book.. Theres just too damn many

"THIS IS THE NON ERROR VARIANT THIS IS A CORRECT PRINTING THAT WILL SHIP AS SOON AS THE ITEM IS RELEASED ANY DAY NOW "

Scam to trap quick readers.

Sorry, I disagree. The seller made it very clear in the listing - he actually separated that text out, centered it, and made it larger. Sure, he's trying to capitalize by asking a high price. It's not his fault buyers can't be bothered to READ.

If he was so honest, it would be listing in the heading. Not the item info..

why? I think with comics the onus is typically on the seller to point out the 'special attributes' of the comic, but doesn't really need to point it out that its NOT the error, NOT the 2nd print, NOT this variant or that variant, just what it is.

If I sell normal Star Wars 1, I can sell it as just that. I don't have to make a list of the variants that its not, certainly not in the listing title. If there is some confusion potentially, just clarify it clearly in the description. If buyers choose not to read that part, not my problem.

NOTE: I'm not saying that this is a 'best practice', just that I don't think its dishonest or a scam, although it may be scummy, but there is a difference to me.

Edited by Revat

But at this time, it's the hottest modern ( flip wise ) he/she is taking advantage of the situation.

I guess it's not a scam, but it's someone I wouldn't want to do business with, nor want on these boards ( which I don't know if he/she is or not )

I've learned many things from this place, and making eBay listings like that is one I have learned that is not cool.

I've used MattsComicShop many times. In fact he sent me a Star Wars today and it was checked into the post office, he probably just got screwed out of a few and wanted to keep what he had left, he has never screwed me. But to each his own.

Hi how are you, would you be ok with me sending you only one of the Star Wars Hot Topics? I'm having issues filling orders. I think one at $20 is a pretty great deal anyway since they are approaching $200. Please let me know asap. Sorry for the inconvenience. -Matt

Hi Matt, I'm sorry but I'm not ok with that. I won them both, I paid for them both, and you already marked them as shipped with a tracking number. If they were going for $5 today would you be sending me this message?

Thanks,

Tim

That's true. I was just checking. I know you've bought from me before and I'd like you to buy from me again so they will both be going out to you today. Congrats on the great deal. -Matt

I'm sorry I'm not able to fulfill the order I sold too many. I have none left you will see none listed on this account anymore. You can leave a negative feedback if you must.

Thank you. I hope your integrity was worth the extra $150 bucks.

The day after I won and paid for two copies via auction from him he sold three more for $100 a pop.

This chump will be getting two negs with 1 star across the board; I'm sure that will help his powerseller status.

and it's up for sale under another a different account

and another one; Matt I though you ran out of these

I'm sure they don't care, but you could probably nominate mattscomicshop to the PL?

That's going to be like mission impossible to determine IMO.

It can't be all that high due to the recall and I'm sure some are never going to be let go by serious SW collectors. I'd think If a majority of them were picked up before being pulled we'd be seeing way more on ebay than right now.

Almost 50 new listings in the last 24 hours seems like a lot for a weekday for this type of book. Come tomorrow and this weekend, there will be more of these listings. I Suspect we'll see more and more of these "recalled" listings until Hot Topic begins selling them in earnest, whenever that is. There are more listings for this comic already than there were for the Gamestop Star Wars variant a few years ago that cost a bunch of points to acquire.

A book like Captain America #25 had way more listings, but the people who picked up the Hot Topic comic had to go out of their way to acquire the book. The Captain America #25 was right there in the comic shop accessible to comic collectors/speculators/etc.

The thing is, even if this Hot Topic comic is not recalled, it won't matter anymore. The speculation cycle has begun and it always takes a while for something like this to run it's course. Now you have people who otherwise would have no interest in this book getting in on the action. Honestly, if I didn't want to keep them for my Star Wars collection, I would put my copies up for sale because I know I'll be able to get them again for cheaper than they are going for now.

That's going to be like mission impossible to determine IMO.

It can't be all that high due to the recall and I'm sure some are never going to be let go by serious SW collectors. I'd think If a majority of them were picked up before being pulled we'd be seeing way more on ebay than right now.

Almost 50 new listings in the last 24 hours seems like a lot for a weekday for this type of book. Come tomorrow and this weekend, there will be more of these listings. I Suspect we'll see more and more of these "recalled" listings until Hot Topic begins selling them in earnest, whenever that is. There are more listings for this comic already than there were for the Gamestop Star Wars variant a few years ago that cost a bunch of points to acquire.

A book like Captain America #25 had way more listings, but the people who picked up the Hot Topic comic had to go out of their way to acquire the book. The Captain America #25 was right there in the comic shop accessible to comic collectors/speculators/etc.

The thing is, even if this Hot Topic comic is not recalled, it won't matter anymore. The speculation cycle has begun and it always takes a while for something like this to run it's course. Now you have people who otherwise would have no interest in this book getting in on the action. Honestly, if I didn't want to keep them for my Star Wars collection, I would put my copies up for sale because I know I'll be able to get them again for cheaper than they are going for now.

Just to quibble a little bit, if you know you'll be able to get them again cheaper later then why not cash in now and rebuy once the price goes down? Keep one to hedge your bet and cash in.