• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,835 posts in this topic

Rom at one point was the center of the Marvel universe for a few months. Dire Wraiths were the scrouge of the MU and Rom was the exterminator.

Loved the Dire Wraith/Mutant issue with the X-men and the Brotherhood. A nice original idea back then. I believe his name was "Hybrid".

There were two 2-parters, ROM 17/18 and 31/32.

Rom at one point was the center of the Marvel universe for a few months. Dire Wraiths were the scrouge of the MU and Rom was the exterminator.

Loved the Dire Wraith/Mutant issue with the X-men and the Brotherhood. A nice original idea back then. I believe his name was "Hybrid".

Hybrid was wicked. :eek:

Hybrid was legit terrifying. He also appeared in Rom Annual #3, where he tried his sick tricks on the New Mutants.

Rom is amaaaaazing. Such a great series. And a great (mostly) self-contained story, with a beginning, middle and end.

This is what I think of as a proto-event. It happened just before these sorts of things got branded and hyped as big events. If it had happened two years later, it would have gotten a "WRAITH WAR!" logo on the top of each issue and it would be a lot better known now than it is.

There were multi-part crossovers into both Avengers and X-Men as part of this event, and the effect of X-Men was much more long term and dramatic. The first appearances of Forge were split between X-Men and Rom, and the gun Forge used to strip Storm's powers was based on Rom's Neutralizer. So all the stuff that followed - Life Death, the romance with Forge, the years of powerless Storm - flowed from the Rom crossover.

Plus, the big finale of the wraith war guest starred the entire Marvel Universe... drawn by Steve Ditko! If you ever wanted to know what the Avengers, WCA, X-Men, Defenders, FF and Alpha Flight would look like drawn by Ditko, Rom #65-66 is where it's at. Steve Ditko Wolverine... yeah. Weird.

rom66may1985ditjo-leialoha.jpg

Not to derail, but...

I have a fondness for Liefeld as well.

I freely admit it.

+1

I liked his NM stuff.

In the end, though, Rob was like a top prospect on your favorite sports team, who starts off hot. You think, wow, this guy is really good, he's gonna keep developing into the next big thing. Then, he doesn't, and you realize that early stuff was as good as it got.

Think Kevin Maas, circa 1990.

Kevin Maas :cloud9: I mimicked the hell out of his stance when I was a kid. Sorry to further derail, but it's been forever since I've heard a Kevin Maas reference.

Not to derail, but...

I freely admit it.

+1

I liked his NM stuff.

In the end, though, Rob was like a top prospect on your favorite sports team, who starts off hot. You think, wow, this guy is really good, he's gonna keep developing into the next big thing. Then, he doesn't, and you realize that early stuff was as good as it got.

Kevin Maas :cloud9: I mimicked the hell out of his stance when I was a kid. Sorry to further derail, but it's been forever since I've heard a Kevin Maas reference.

Haha, yeah he was on fire. Being a Yankee sure didn't hurt.

Not to derail, but...

I freely admit it.

+1

I liked his NM stuff.

True. But, they were terrible back then.

Not to derail, but...

I freely admit it.

+1

I liked his NM stuff.

True. But, they were terrible back then.

How's this hit ya.... Maas just turned 50 a couple weeks ago. :o

Hybrid was legit terrifying. He also appeared in Rom Annual #3, where he tried his sick tricks on the New Mutants.

Rom is amaaaaazing. Such a great series. And a great (mostly) self-contained story, with a beginning, middle and end.

This is what I think of as a proto-event. It happened just before these sorts of things got branded and hyped as big events. If it had happened two years later, it would have gotten a "WRAITH WAR!" logo on the top of each issue and it would be a lot better known now than it is.

There were multi-part crossovers into both Avengers and X-Men as part of this event, and the effect of X-Men was much more long term and dramatic. The first appearances of Forge were split between X-Men and Rom, and the gun Forge used to strip Storm's powers was based on Rom's Neutralizer. So all the stuff that followed - Life Death, the romance with Forge, the years of powerless Storm - flowed from the Rom crossover.

Plus, the big finale of the wraith war guest starred the entire Marvel Universe... drawn by Steve Ditko! If you ever wanted to know what the Avengers, WCA, X-Men, Defenders, FF and Alpha Flight would look like drawn by Ditko, Rom #65-66 is where it's at. Steve Ditko Wolverine... yeah. Weird.

rom66may1985ditjo-leialoha.jpg

Ah good times :cloud9:

I had forgotten about the neutralizer issue with Forge.

Not to derail, but...

I freely admit it.

+1

I liked his NM stuff.

Yeah, Rob Liefeld was Jose Canseco of comic world -- in more than one way. puns and literal intended.

Lady killer 1 seems to be doing pretty good already, sorry for no links but I'm on my cell and busy. One at about $15 (shipping included) with 5 days left and one at about $12 (shipping included) with 2+ days left. My girlfriend likes it, which usually is a good spec signal for me

**both on ebay

Edited by kapzilla