• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,826 posts in this topic

It's rare for one thread to have so many people with such bad taste. ;)

Taste is subjective, if course, so I respect that you guys don't care for Allred. But I think you're nuts. His stuff is great.

Even his art wouldn't be enough for me to pay money to read about Silver Surfer, though. :P

I know it's a rant, I got it, but Allred killed my love for comics for almost 10 solid years because I just couldn't stand looking at like that.

Allred drawing X-Force killed your love of comics for 10 years?! I mean, I'd understand if you were talking about Bendis or Mark Millar or something, but Allred? On X-Force of all things?

(shrug)

Allred is an acquired taste. He just plain tanked Surfer from the start. Look at the numbers on Surfer they are in freefall.

I suspect that Silver Surfer's dwindling sales have more to do with Dan Slott's writing than Allred's art.

I imagine most people are turned off by the book due to the art long before they have the opportunity to actually read it.

^^

God did I hate Allred on X-Force. It was like watching my best friend transition from this kick black ops team to pure dog *spoon* Mainly talking from the CGC side here on this portion before getting into the story lines I loved the covers back in the Liefeld days. Then transition to Capullo on to Tony Daniel, was a little down and off with Polina and then was amazed by the Cheung and Morales days. Then moving onto covers by Portacio and Olivetti X-Force just seemed prime to hang on my wall in many of the slabs I have now posted. Then to transition from that style of cover to WTF by Allred it seemed like Marvel said screw it let's tank a series.

Now onto the interiors... visually everyone and everything went from visually appealing to again... WTF let's just draw Madman or Madman with boobs. He built a crew of characters all looking like Madman and said screw it with any detail. I have no idea how any of that isn't on everything that came before him with the series. In all honesty I refuse to build that one part of my collection with X-Force because of him and Laura. The only four I have done were gifts that I just said screw it and threw into a box.

The story line was even worse to me and I honestly thought it was hilarious that the title tanked after him. Then Marvel was like hey let's give that crew a series ... 26 issues later tanked. Now again here you go Allred try *spoon*ing up another title here's FF... tanked. Sorry must not have been your style, here try Silver Surfer... ratings tanked... But let's blame Slott first cause he obvously can't stay on a story line...unless its one of Marvels flagship titles that's doing amazing...

I know it's a rant, I got it, but Allred killed my love for comics for almost 10 solid years because I just couldn't stand looking at like that. Give me "One more Day" any day over anything done by Allred. I would rather be water boarded continuously than being tortured by having to look at one book he has done for the same amount of time.

:roflmao:

Rant of the year so far

Allred drawing X-Force killed your love of comics for 10 years?! I mean, I'd understand if you were talking about Bendis or Mark Millar or something, but Allred? On X-Force of all things?

(shrug)

In my youth I was addicted to all things Schwarzenegger related and didn't understand much about the mechanic's of firing a minigun with one arm. To me I didn't really care for Liefeld's proportional standards because I thought only bad *spoon*es had giant muscles and guns bigger than there friends. To this day I could care less how the heck someone draw's feet as its not exactly any part of what I pay attention to and still believe those who pay so much attention to them have this huge foot fetish...

But honestly I loved the amount of detail put into pages. Then when Capullo took ahold of X-Force it reenforced why I loved the series and Tony Daniel was no different. I loved the idea of black ops without the idea of fighting Cobra just to detain them so they could be set free a week later.

X-Force was my series I guess as many others have one. Vol 3 was awesome and I have no idea what the hell is going on with this current series but in my youth I was a diehard fan. So for someone to take something like Cable kill him off and replace him with some goofy looking *spoon*tards I absolutely hated it.

Edited by kaholo1256

(shrug)

In my youth I was addicted to all things Schwarzenegger related and didn't understand much about the mechanic's of firing a minigun with one arm. To me I didn't really care for Liefeld's proportional standards because I thought only bad *spoon*es had giant muscles and guns bigger than there friends. To this day I could care less how the heck someone draw's feet as its not exactly any part of what I pay attention to and still believe those who pay so much attention to them have this huge foot fetish...

But honestly I loved the amount of detail put into pages. Then when Capullo took ahold of X-Force it reenforced why I loved the series and Tony Daniel was no different. I loved the idea of black ops without the idea of fighting Cobra just to detain them so they could be set free a week later.

X-Force was my series I guess as many others have one. Vol 3 was awesome and I have no idea what the hell is going on with this current series but in my youth I was a diehard fan. So for someone to take Spider-Man kill him off and replace him with some goofy looking *spoon*tards I absolutely hated it.

Fair enough. I had a similar reaction to Avengers Disassembled, which has been a blessing in disguise, as it finally freed me of the burden of having to care about the Marvel Universe at all.

But I think Allred is excellent. I read his X-Force/X-Statix and loved the art. The writing, on the other hand, eventually got tired out. Satire has a short shelf life before it starts getting stale and overdone. I'd blame that for the eventual demise of the book before I'd point the finger at Allred.

But I think Allred is excellent. I read his X-Force/X-Statix and loved the art. The writing, on the other hand, eventually got tired out. Satire has a short shelf life before it starts getting stale and overdone. I'd blame that for the eventual demise of the book before I'd point the finger at Allred.

Writing or art it was still a *spoon*ty Allred that created it. Just happened to be the female that time...

Edit... Sorry, chip on the shoulder after a hell of a day...

Edited by kaholo1256

Writing or art it was still a *spoon*ty Allred that created it. Just happened to be the female that time...

Edit... Sorry, chip on the shoulder after a hell of a day...

I think Peter Milligan did the writing on that series. I haven't read much of his other stuff, but I did try the first issue of Enigma, which is highly acclaimed in some circles, and found it to be pretty much incomprehensible.

This may be in the wrong spot wanted to ask some members a question about the price variant covers such as the Uncanny X-men #423, recently learned of Avengers #77 error. I came across a Fantastic Four #60 (Vol. 3) today going through some boxes, the 9 cent cover. But what is odd is it is the newstand variant (no 9 cent at the top and states $2.25 in the upc. Know Midtown has it listed as the newstand. But can not find any on ebay without the 9 cent and until today had never saw the newstand. Is this one that is considered rare or just newstand last price i seen anywhere online said it booked at $12, but it only imaged the one that came in the toy package without the UPC. Any ideas?

thats the only one that is listed anywhere that i can find an image of online. The one I found is the same book just without the 9 cent on it and the upc shows it at 2.25. Just was asking on here because like i said cant locate on online like it except for the two i mentioned and havent seen any on ebay without the 9 c

Everyone has their own tastes.

One person loved all X-Force besides Allred.

I sold all of mine except the Allred stuff.

Patrick

The only X title I've bought in the last 40 years was Milligan/Allred's X-Force/X-Statix. Great stuff! Reading the whining in the lettercol from fans of the book's previous version made it even more enjoyable.