• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,821 posts in this topic

I've never been an Inhumans fan.

Nor the Fantastic Four for that matter...

They just never clicked for me. I know I am in the vast minority, but I just don't like the FF and their stories.

Give me the X-Men though, and I am happy!

Well, it also largely depends on what you have read, I believe. I liked the majority of the Marvel titles, the Marvel age as a whole. :)

Off topic now, but have you ever read the Defenders or any other Steve Gerber title?

:cloud9:

NM, they went back to Totleben for the regular cover. Not feeling this one either.

1400462_ful_zpsvaiv3zz0.jpg

And now I have another book to get signed....

Show off :taptaptap:

Clarification: And now I have another book that I need to go buy a copy of to get signed.

NM, they went back to Totleben for the regular cover. Not feeling this one either.

Clarification: And now I have another book that I need to go buy a copy of to get signed.

lol i was just kiddin sheeesh

I think Jenkins wrote it. I loved the Jae Lee art. He is my favorite "current" artist though I don't like his version of Superman too much.

I quite like Jae Lee, especially after the first period, when he fine-tuned his peculiar style. I just don’t see it fit with the Inhumans, but again I saw a little of that series.

Jenkins… I have probably read some Hulk from him, and did not like it, but who knows? I did not like Waid on the Fantastic Four much, but apparently his Daredevil work and more recent work is more appraised.

Is the 2000 mini-series of the Inhumans related to the 1998 series?

Really you guys like Jae Lee? I remember being so upset when he took over Namor from John Byrne and they said he was the next best thing.

Marvel Knights INHUMANS by Paul Jenkins & Jae Lee was really good. Highly recommended! Jae's artwork is great. You should see his 1st comic work on NAMOR in the 90s. That stuff was horrendous. INHUMANS and 4 (the Grant Morrison Fantastic For mini -- another Marvel Knightsproduction) were what put his art on the map.

I swore him off years ago because of Namor when did his art improve?

I've never been an Inhumans fan.

Nor the Fantastic Four for that matter...

They just never clicked for me. I know I am in the vast minority, but I just don't like the FF and their stories.

Give me the X-Men though, and I am happy!

I was never a real fan of Inhumans till Winnick did a What If story called "Massada" in Exiles 21-25 (From memory) it changed my view of them.

It was a futuristic story pitting Tony Starks Iron Men against the Inhumans.

lol i was just kiddin sheeesh

Just CMA.

:whee:

Marvel Knights INHUMANS by Paul Jenkins & Jae Lee was really good. Highly recommended! Jae's artwork is great. You should see his 1st comic work on NAMOR in the 90s. That stuff was horrendous. INHUMANS and 4 (the Grant Morrison Fantastic For mini -- another Marvel Knightsproduction) were what put his art on the map.

I swore him off years ago because of Namor when did his art improve?

The second Hellshock series is when his style changed. Love his new style...

His originally style was like the dude who did 'Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark', creepy as funk.

I kind of liked Jae Lee's take on Inhuman's and his stint on X-Factor during the X-Cutioner's Song series. To each there own though, I want to punch Mike Allred in the face every time he takes over a series because of how bad his art is. I figured I always know when Marvel is purposely trying to tank a series when his name is attached to it. Same can be said with Squirrel Girl and honestly the previews of the new Silk series.

I opened the first page of Squirrel Girl, saw the art, and simply put the comic in my daughter's pull list pile of Adventure Time, Regular Show, and Pony ...

And the Silk series.... ANYONE would have been better than what they released as the preview to me.

I think there is an objective side to drawing and obviously a subjective one, due to our personal tastes. But again, taste is something you mostly acquire while drawing has, ultimately, objectively good qualities of harmony, balance et al, or not.

I said I did not despise Jae Lee later on, but myself too loathed when he started on Namor (and I think I stopped buying it).

The bottom line, for me, is Marvel should have mantained a degree of realism and some canon in choosing the artists, and not use artist with a very caricatural style, especially if the latter is regardless of anatomy, harmony and correct perspective, proportions, etc.

McFarlane found a good way to balance these limitations since the beginning, and he was appreciated on a more thorough basis.

The problem with Allreed is that he (and many other artists) do not give up a bit of the excesses of their "personal style" in favor of a more realistic and homogeneous page composition and representation of the characters. Marvel has been encouraging this trend for a long time, on one side, but on the other side he also hires artists with a good overall sense of composition and storytelling like Stuart Immonen, Brian Hitch or Pablo Rivera. And then there is Frank Quitely, which is really outstanding as he manages to be very personal and strong while at the same time being "classic" in both his characterizations and scene composition.

All in all, I quite miss John Buscema… lol

I kind of liked Jae Lee's take on Inhuman's and his stint on X-Factor during the X-Cutioner's Song series. To each there own though, I want to punch Mike Allred in the face every time he takes over a series because of how bad his art is. I figured I always know when Marvel is purposely trying to tank a series when his name is attached to it. Same can be said with Squirrel Girl and honestly the previews of the new Silk series.

I opened the first page of Squirrel Girl, saw the art, and simply put the comic in my daughter's pull list pile of Adventure Time, Regular Show, and Pony ...

And the Silk series.... ANYONE would have been better than what they released as the preview to me.

I didn't buy X-Factor until Allred took over. I loved it. :cloud9:

It may have been the writing/art combo that I enjoyed, but I would never call his artwork bad. It's just a different style.

Also, I haven't read Squirrel Girl, but perhaps it's just not the right book for him to be drawing. (shrug)

2c

It may have been the writing/art combo that I enjoyed, but I would never call his artwork bad. It's just a different style.

Also, I haven't read Squirrel Girl, but perhaps it's just not the right book for him to be drawing. (shrug)

2c

I am not saying I don’t enjoy Allreed, period. It’s not simply about "difference" rather about suitability and consistence, if you read what I was trying to say.

The Squirrel Girl artist is a woman, ;)

2c

I am not saying I don’t enjoy Allreed, period. It’s not simply about "difference" rather about suitability and consistence, if you read what I was trying to say.

The Squirrel Girl artist is a woman, ;)

Ah, I didn't know the SG artist was female. After reading Koholo's rant on Allred and moving right into SG, I didn't realize it would be a different artist.

I agree with you guys about squirrel girl. This book had so much potential but once you open it to the first page you are disgusted by the art work. I am hoping they come to the realization it just doesn't work.

I wasn't disgusted by the artwork, I thought it fit the book, I enjoyed the first issue and have put this on my pull list. No problem with the art for me.