• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,839 posts in this topic

Everyone has their own tastes.

One person loved all X-Force besides Allred.

I sold all of mine except the Allred stuff.

Patrick

The only X title I've bought in the last 40 years was Milligan/Allred's X-Force/X-Statix. Great stuff! Reading the whining in the lettercol from fans of the book's previous version made it even more enjoyable.

thats the only one that is listed anywhere that i can find an image of online. The one I found is the same book just without the 9 cent on it and the upc shows it at 2.25. Just was asking on here because like i said cant locate on online like it except for the two i mentioned and havent seen any on ebay without the 9 c

PM shieldagent he has one or two. They are tough to find, but they do exist.

Allred drawing X-Force killed your love of comics for 10 years?! I mean, I'd understand if you were talking about Bendis or Mark Millar or something, but Allred? On X-Force of all things?

(shrug)

In my youth I was addicted to all things Schwarzenegger related and didn't understand much about the mechanic's of firing a minigun with one arm. To me I didn't really care for Liefeld's proportional standards because I thought only bad *spoon*es had giant muscles and guns bigger than there friends. To this day I could care less how the heck someone draw's feet as its not exactly any part of what I pay attention to and still believe those who pay so much attention to them have this huge foot fetish...

But honestly I loved the amount of detail put into pages. Then when Capullo took ahold of X-Force it reenforced why I loved the series and Tony Daniel was no different. I loved the idea of black ops without the idea of fighting Cobra just to detain them so they could be set free a week later.

X-Force was my series I guess as many others have one. Vol 3 was awesome and I have no idea what the hell is going on with this current series but in my youth I was a diehard fan. So for someone to take something like Cable kill him off and replace him with some goofy looking *spoon*tards I absolutely hated it.

Fanboy rage is the best rage.

I'm not sure why people like to mock fans so much. I think it's a lot cooler to actually care about something than to sit on the sidelines and make fun of other people for caring.

Don't get me wrong, I have a hard time understanding why someone would like X-Force either. But I respect kaholo's passion for it. There's nothing wrong with being a fanboy. Fanboy respect!

:headbang:

I'm not sure why people like to mock fans so much. I think it's a lot cooler to actually care about something than to sit on the sidelines and make fun of other people for caring.

Don't get me wrong, I have a hard time understanding why someone would like X-Force either. But I respect kaholo's passion for it. There's nothing wrong with being a fanboy. Fanboy respect!

:headbang:

AGREED!

I like Rob Liefeld 90s Era because it was a great time to be a fan of such books. I get nostalgic about it, especially when he teamed up with McFarlane on those New Mutants covers as well as that 2 part SPIDERMAN / X-FORCE W I D E S C R E E N comics and those rocked! I know Byrne did it first in FANTASTIC FOUR but Liefeld / McFarlane excelled at it. I can still remember Shatterstar stabbing Juggernaut in the face and the pissed off look he had on his face. Fun stuff.

Not to derail, but...

I have a fondness for Liefeld as well.

I freely admit it.

I'm in the process of building that Registry set, but some of the issues are hard to find. (probably not worth the price to slab)

I never cared about the "right way" to do art back then.

I just thought Cable was "cool", haha...

He's a punching bag now, and I get it, but I am a fan.

I and all of my friends were Liefeld fans when his stuff first hit. Liefeld is like Vanilla Ice - nobody wants to admit they liked him, but millions of people were buying his stuff.

By the time he moved to Image, though, he was already a punchline in my high school. We had 4 or 5 comic fans in my school, and the day Youngblood #1 came out, we went to the comic store and bought copies. And then spent the rest of our high school lives making fun of how terrible it was. That opening scene where the hero kills a guy by throwing a ballpoint pen into his throat was a running joke for the rest of the year.

I'm pretty sure one of the other students drew pictures of "Ballpoint" in everyone's yearbooks that year instead of signing them.

Good times.

Edit: I had to dig out my yearbook. Probably of no interest to anyone but me, but it made me laugh:

yearbook.jpg

I also found this note from another student, giving me some good collecting advice for 1992:

yearbook2.jpg

Anyway, none of this has anything to do with Hot Topic, so I'll stop derailing.

Edited by Crimebuster

Not to derail, but...

I have a fondness for Liefeld as well.

I freely admit it.

+1

I liked his NM stuff.

In the end, though, Rob was like a top prospect on your favorite sports team, who starts off hot. You think, wow, this guy is really good, he's gonna keep developing into the next big thing. Then, he doesn't, and you realize that early stuff was as good as it got.

Think Kevin Maas, circa 1990.

Liefeld was the next McFarlane (!!!!)

It was hard not to get caught up in all the excitement, even for those of us who weren't kids when it came out (and thus, aren't blinded, at least partly, by childhood nostalgia.)

But there's nothing wrong with honest critique, and some folks go completely off the rails...I mean bate insane...when you dare criticize their childhood memories...which is completely silly (see: Liefeld discussions in OA.)

"Time Bandits" makes absolutely no sense whatsoever, is a terrible, terrible movie...and I love it to pieces, because it came out when I was 9 years old.

"ROM" is not high art...but #47 is the sole and only issue I remember from my childhood, and thus is the greatest comic book ever published.*

* Potentially exaggerated due to nostalgic myopia.

I understand nostalgia...it's valuable...but part of growing up is learning how to put those things in perspective, and not clinging to them for dear life, recognizing them for the value they had to you at the time, but not letting yourself get sucked into a rose-tinted glasses view of your past.

:cloud9:

It was hard not to get caught up in all the excitement, even for those of us who weren't kids when it came out (and thus, aren't blinded, at least partly, by childhood nostalgia.)

But there's nothing wrong with honest critique, and some folks go completely off the rails...I mean bate insane...when you dare criticize their childhood memories...which is completely silly (see: Liefeld discussions in OA.)

"Time Bandits" makes absolutely no sense whatsoever, is a terrible, terrible movie...and I love it to pieces, because it came out when I was 9 years old.

"ROM" is not high art...but #47 is the sole and only issue I remember from my childhood, and thus is the greatest comic book ever published.*

I understand nostalgia...it's valuable...but part of growing up is learning how to put those things in perspective, and not clinging to them for dear life, recognizing them for the value they had to you at the time, but not letting yourself get sucked into a rose-tinted glasses view of your past.

Very well put, fine sir. :applause:

He handled the X-men and Rom taking on Galactus was 1 of my childhood highlights. The series is what it is but at that time, it was my top of the stack read over the Defenders, Avengers, and the X-men. Long live the the childhood memory of Rom. Gods of Galador, what were they thinking when they ended the series ? lol

He handled the X-men and Rom taking on Galactus was 1 of my childhood highlights. The series is what it is but at that time, it was my top of the stack read over the Defenders, Avengers, and the X-men. Long live the the childhood memory of Rom. Gods of Galador, what were they thinking when they ended the series ? lol

Man, ROM was good. So, so, so good. I really hope Disney can pry the rights to ROM from Parker Brothers. They certainly aren't doing anything with the character.

Man, ROM was good. So, so, so good. I really hope Disney can pry the rights to ROM from Parker Brothers. They certainly aren't doing anything with the character.

I agree and there is really a lot of stuff that can be done with him in movies imo. Like GotG, I would guess he isn't an overly familiar character to most people and think that is a good thing because not knowing what comes next is part of the fun in a movie. We'll just have to keep our fingers crossed. :wishluck:

And...no silly arguments about where he first appeared in comics!

idk, I seem to remember a 1 page preview in the back of comics that had a 'meteor' flashing across the sky, impact, and Rom stepping from the crater in the last panel hm surely we can collectively agree on the first issue that had this preview lol

And...no silly arguments about where he first appeared in comics!

idk, I seem to remember a 1 page preview in the back of comics that had a 'meteor' flashing across the sky, impact, and Rom stepping from the crater in the last panel hm surely we can collectively agree on the first issue that had this preview lol

:facepalm: