• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,756 posts in this topic

They will keep printing them as long as buyers keep flocking to buy them.

It seems to be increasing in frequency lately from Marvel and DC. At least with DC several of the books are really good. Marvel is just living off movie hype and brand names these last few years. The sad thing is its enough for them.

Well, to be fair, all of Marvel's creative energies have been in the movies and it shows. I agree, Marvel comics has just been treading water for years.

I could not disagree more.

There have been some fantastic marvel books over the last couple of years.

Uncanny X-Force Vol 1. Journey into Mystery and Young Avengers by Kieron Gillen. Superior Foes of Spider-Man are 4 that have been awesome off the top of my head.

I really really like Hawkeye & Thor, although I haven't read the latest arc for Thor yet because I heard it was lame.

Still plenty of 1st prints around stores. I was shocked to see more than 10 1st prints of 8 & 9..

I'd grab those if they are in good shape

I grabbed 5 of each, I may go back there today to get the rest..

Question is.. Is this a book to hold on to for awhile or flip right away

Still plenty of 1st prints around stores. I was shocked to see more than 10 1st prints of 8 & 9..

I'd grab those if they are in good shape

I grabbed 5 of each, I may go back there today to get the rest..

Question is.. Is this a book to hold on to for awhile or flip right away

flip right away

i'm dumping Thor once he turns into a woman...great up till then. All New X-Men is a good title.

I have loved Aaron's Thor & promoted it, but I'm afraid I've also culled the new incarnation from the pull list for the upcoming 'chick flip' - I'm not sexist... but I don't relate to, or enjoy female orientated stories, or while we're on the subject female sports - so stop ruining my day with she-male gods & prime time ladies cricket :preach:

Don't see it being any more valuable than any of the other books. The characters in this book are all normal human beings for the most part and very rarely do "normie" books do much.

Don't see it being any more valuable than any of the other books. The characters in this book are all normal human beings for the most part and very rarely do "normie" books do much.

Plus the first appearance of issue #5 was in Previews & that's doing nothing at the moment

;)

Plus the first appearance of issue #5 was in Previews & that's doing nothing at the moment

;)

I believe issue 5 is the first appearance of Sardu, the Master. If so then it's more than a " normie "

hm I wonder if the strain was previewed anywhere...

I believe issue 5 is the first appearance of Sardu, the Master. If so then it's more than a " normie "

I'll disagree. When I say "normie" I thinking, what separates this character from others in comics? Usually it's a mutation of some sort that makes them different and collectible, which is what the question was about. Amanda Waller has been very much involved in TV and New 52 Suicide Squad and yet her 1st appearance is not worth a whole lot more than 2 years ago. Sardu is The Strain's version of a Vampire. I'm not saying this doesn't make the story any better or worse, just doesn't do much in terms of collectability, IMO.

....there is a "TV" preview:

th_6233d468-3ffb-445d-92ed-cd2e677b374e_zps12f4f070.jpg

;)

:boo:

Edited by siro123

I'll disagree. When I say "normie" I thinking, what separates this character from others in comics? Usually it's a mutation of some sort that makes them different and collectible, which is what the question was about. Amanda Waller has been very much involved in TV and New 52 Suicide Squad and yet her 1st appearance is not worth a whole lot more than 2 years ago. Sardu is The Strain's version of a Vampire. I'm not saying this doesn't make the story any better or worse, just doesn't do much in terms of collectability, IMO.

....there is a "TV" preview:

th_6233d468-3ffb-445d-92ed-cd2e677b374e_zps12f4f070.jpg

Amanda Waller's first appearance is one example but there are a lot of factors you are not taking into account. For example-print run of her first. Archer and Armstrong might be one of the best titles from the original Valiant line but they printed a ton of zero issues so their first appearance isn't worth much despite the recent movie hype. Then we have to remember that Amanda Waller is not the Governor or Deathstroke.

Sardu is the series villain. If the show continues to build an audience collectors are going to care about where he appears first.

Didn't know about that TV issue, cool cover.

Edited by MrWeen

Archer and Armstrong might be one of the best titles from the original Valiant line but they printed a ton of zero issues so their first appearance isn't worth much despite the recent movie hype.

I don't think the gold version of the zero issue has even seen any movement, which only had a print run of 5000.

Archer and Armstrong might be one of the best titles from the original Valiant line but they printed a ton of zero issues so their first appearance isn't worth much despite the recent movie hype.

I don't think the gold version of the zero issue has even seen any movement, which only had a print run of 5000.

Now might be a good time to buy then.

Amanda Waller's first appearance is one example but there are a lot of factors you are not taking into account. For example-print run of her first. Archer and Armstrong might be one of the best titles from the original Valiant line but they printed a ton of zero issues so their first appearance isn't worth much despite the recent movie hype. Then we have to remember that Amanda Waller is not the Governor or Deathstroke.

Sardu is the series villain. If the show continues to build an audience collectors are going to care about where he appears first.

Didn't know about that TV issue, cool cover.

Ah, you hit on the one normie book that has done well, TWD.

Now might be a good time to buy then.

Maybe, but A&A golds were never cheap to begin with.