• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,788 posts in this topic

Since they are still there, I wouldn't draw attention to them unless you have a rock solid friend willing to hold them. I also don't believe using credit cards to buy comics but maybe that's just me. There are enough costs to reselling without adding interest to the mix imo.

This is something I've talked about with a few others.

I buy everything with cash or ( debit ).

Buying "hot" books on credit is risky business.

It can get you into big trouble , fast.

Jesus, how many hundreds of copies of the latest image #1 are people buying that they have to choke down interest?

On a more somber yet opportunistic note. I've noticed lower sales all week and with few exceptions, everything I normally watch are down, down, down. Enormous seems to be holding and Rat Queens ( though a Staples variant sold under $35 yesterday) and Manifest Destiny (mostly holding steady) and not much else from the recent stuff I like. There have been a few steals but mostly it has been like a ghost town with flat pricing.

I thought maybe recent announcements from ebay might have been the culprit but it's not just ebay. It seems there was also a lot less activity on the boards this week. I think we saw this last year around the same time. Is anybody watching or selling any titles that are ticking up as a whole ?

I haven't sold much this year on ebay but I think its a great barometer. Have you guys noticed a recent heavy push toward auctions and away from BIN ?

Funny you should mention this, I've been selling heavily thru my store for 2/3 months, the last week has been a graveyard for me - worst since beginning of May & I only sell BIN's (shrug)

yeah I got one up for 23....and it doesn't even have a watcher on it...( just put it up yesterday though ). so I think someone is gonna be mighty disappointed...

If youre selling a copy now I'd only advise you to never ever get into stocks

Still holding that Solyndra stock for the big payout?

Edited by ygogolak

I thought maybe recent announcements from ebay might have been the culprit but it's not just ebay.

Did I miss something? What's changing on eBay...?

Roc sent me home with a stack of RQ #1 sketch blanks to sell - was gonna list them as BINs on eBay, but maybe I'd be better off offering them here...?

(None of them are CGC-worthy. All would fall in the VF to NM- range. Very tough book in grade. Went through two full packs at the show and found maybe 5 or 6 legitimate 9.8 candidates).

My sales have dropped off considerably in the past couple weeks. Believe it or not, the last two books I sold were an Uber #8 CGC 9.8 and a raw Uber #0 Sketch.

I've been too wrapped up in Five Ghosts OA right now to care about moderns :)

Wow, thanks. Never ceases to amaze me how the line in the sand keeps moving in the buyer's favor.

You'd think eBay would care a bit more about the people that actually pay them.

I have had a 100% track record for the past 3 years on Ebay and I credit that to my own customer service and the way I make my listings. I hardly ever run an auction and I require immediate payment on all buy it now listings. That being said, I have only had 2 problem buys in the past 3 years and in both instances Ebay sided with me because of my track record.

I personally feel these changes won't really affect me because of how I already conduct business on Ebay. If it does, I will be sure to be vocal about it.

Wow, thanks. Never ceases to amaze me how the line in the sand keeps moving in the buyer's favor.

I have had this opinion for a while. Playing devils advocate though, there is no revenue for eBay if there is nobody buying.

I don't feel the buyers on eBay will ever dry up as it has market dominance. Even other comic book sales sites have basically the same fee structure but obviously have less web traffic.

I have had this opinion for a while. Playing devils advocate though, there is no revenue for eBay if there is nobody buying.

I don't feel the buyers on eBay will ever dry up as it has market dominance. Even other comic book sales sites have basically the same fee structure but obviously have less web traffic.

Agreed 100%. You can make the argument the sellers are equally important, but they're not. Take away the buyers and the sellers just have a bunch of stuff, and the buyers just spend money in the 1 million other facets of life.

You need incentives to encourage people to buy, especially when personal debt levels are the highest they've ever been.

Edited by spreads

Awesome!!! on the Lady Mechanika.

1- Breath of Bones was a pretty awesome story. Why is it hot all of a sudden?

2-Enormous was so-so. Why is IT hot all of a sudden???

Both have movie or TV connotations. Pretty much any book that gets hot out of nowhere now days.

For example, did anyone actually read booms the foundation when it came out?

i read the TPB this year and didn't remember reading it. i'm sure it'll be huge.

Agreed 100%. You can make the argument the sellers are equally important, but they're not. Take away the buyers and the sellers just have a bunch of stuff, and the buyers just spend money in the 1 million other facets of life.

You need incentives to encourage people to buy, especially when personal debt levels are the highest they've ever been.

I rarely sell on ebay since they changed to the DSR system and I felt like years of building a reputation was flushed at the whim of ...who knows ? I think ebay wants the little guy gone and is trying to become more like Amazon. It's their business and they know what works best for them. I wouldn't want someone telling me how to run mine.

I don't see how a small seller under say, 500 to 1000 items per month in the bronze, copper, and modern age will be able to handle the new policy on returns. Let's use a book like Manifest Destiny. Say a person sold 5 #1s in CGC 9.8 at $160 which I believe was the high price on these books. Then 3 weeks later they drop to $140, which they did. Under the old rules, if the case had a scratch, the buyer could return the book and the buyer paid for return shipping. Now the seller is responsible for shipping both ways. There is no deterrent for the cheaters. I could see a case getting miraculously scratched upon arrival. I realize the good people outnumber the bad but the bad exists and more so every time ebay changes the rules.

I think it's even a bigger problem with inexpensive raws. I ship using priority mail boxes because I want the books well protected. I certainly wouldn't want to pay shipping costs both ways if someone viewed my $25 Nm book as Nm- after they found 1 maybe 3 weeks later for for $15. Making an ebay account seems to be a fairly easy endeavor. I've had 1 buyer who has used 3 different ebay IDs to purchase books over the years.

I know that these are worse case scenarios but I also know there is plenty of potential for them under the new rules. I think the only safe bet is to sell using scans and not advertising condition and hope that people look at feedback. What do you guys think ?

am I the only one that finds it odd that ebay is only now recording the conversations we have with there representatives? Ebay, get your act together.

Half of my conversations involve me apologizing for not being able to understand the customer service rep and to please transfer me to somebody else.

am I the only one that finds it odd that ebay is only now recording the conversations we have with there representatives? Ebay, get your act together.

Half of my conversations involve me apologizing for not being able to understand the customer service rep and to please transfer me to somebody else.

:roflmao: