• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
70 70

63,755 posts in this topic

I'm a bit confused with the reaction to the Spider-Woman Manara variant. Were collectors thinking this was going to be a virgin cover (no logo)? If not, then where else could Marvel put the logo? Her body pretty much covers (vertically) the entire cover.

Sorry for any ignorance on my part or if this was previously answered.

Meck

I'm a bit confused with the reaction to the Spider-Woman Manara variant. Were collectors thinking this was going to be a virgin cover (no logo)? If not, then where else could Marvel put the logo? Her body pretty much covers (vertically) the entire cover.

Meck

I think people expected marvel to accommodate the artwork properly.

Marvel has been very liberal with where they put the title logo recently, either having the artwork go " over" the title, or making the logo smaller, or shifting it to one side, even at the bottom at times. In some cases making the artwork slightly smaller so its shown fully. It's not like it use to be where the logo stayed in the exact same spot for years on end.

They made no attempts to accommodate the art. All they had to do was shrink the image by 10% shift the title up and to the right, like they did on the Oyum variant and you would get most of the art. The could have also shrinked the art 10% and just threw the title to the bottom, they have done this before. They did none of this and planted the title right on top of the " controversy".

Looking at the milo variant, it's pretty darn obvious they were trying to cover up her rear. Its so obvious its laughable. I imagine the person in charge of the overlays just floating the title around saying things like " oops, too much crack, a little to the left"

Meck

Marvel has been very liberal with where they put the title logo recently, either having the artwork go " over" the title, or making the logo smaller, or shifting it to one side, even at the bottom at times. In some cases making the artwork slightly smaller so its shown fully. It's not like it use to be where the logo stayed in the exact same spot for years on end.

They made no attempts to accommodate the art. All they had to do was shrink the image by 10% shift the title up and to the right, like they did on the Oyum variant and you would get most of the art. The could have also shrinked the art 10% and just threw the title to the bottom, they have done this before. They did none of this and planted the title right on top of the " controversy".

Looking at the milo variant, it's pretty darn obvious they were trying to cover up her rear. Its so obvious its laughable. I imagine the person in charge of the overlays just floating the title around saying things like " oops, too much crack, a little to the left"

Suggesting that it could be shrunk 10% assumes that the piece was not created with the final dimensions of a comic book in mind. If you shrink it, then the art doesn't reach the trim

Meck

Playing devils advocate here; but the original artwork we saw left no room for a title. It's actually entirely possible that the logo was always going to cover her arse, but when the raw image was released thats when all hell broke loose. Perhaps a little bit of mischief from Milo.

I'm happy it's still being released anyway, I ordered it and it's a little bit of comics history. But I can completely understand why it's offensive to a lot of people.

Meck

Suggesting that it could be shrunk 10% assumes that the piece was not created with the final dimensions of a comic book in mind. If you shrink it, then the art doesn't reach the trim

This is the digital age. They could have made it happen, that's all im saying.

Meck

Playing devils advocate here; but the original artwork we saw left no room for a title. It's actually entirely possible that the logo was always going to cover her arse, but when the raw image was released thats when all hell broke loose. Perhaps a little bit of mischief from Milo.

I'm happy it's still being released anyway, I ordered it and it's a little bit of comics history. But I can completely understand why it's offensive to a lot of people.

All I'm hearing is excuses for marvel. Look people, it was done on purpose, period. They have the freedom to put the title logo anywhere they want, and any size they want, and this is the digital age, they could have done plenty to that artwork to make it fit.

Here, look at this: They put the title sideways and even moved the marvel logo from its normal spot so it doesn't cover up black cats " cheeks".

2140526.jpg

This one below they made the title logo tiny so everything fit.

2375918.jpg

Finally, almost all comic covers, the focus is the characters, they will almost always cover up the background art but not the character, they will let the character cover up the logo. As seen here.

1931930.jpg

Now look at this and tell me they couldn't have used some or all of the things they did to these above covers to accommodate the artwork and character image.

2376068.jpg

The simple fact is, the milo cover got heat on social media so someone up top decided to cover up the controversy, literally. It's NOT a coincidence.

Spider Gwen getting her own series next year

spidergwen.jpg

Nice slippers.

Dammit MrWeen! Every time you post I loose 10 minutes out of my life!

Stripper-pole Deadpool may be the most mesmerizing thing on the internet!

Deadpool%20Poll%20Dance_zpswkizxivd.gif

Here's the least mesmerizing thing on the internet

IMG_4303_zps3ecd18af.jpg

I was bagging some books from 1998-2002 the other night, and I came across Avengers #19, with a creepy red Ultron cover. It is actually part 1 of a storyline called "Age of Ultron." It centers around Black Panther, Wakanda and Ultron, although it does have extraneous characters like the synthezoid that is based on Bobbi Morse's brain waves. But as more details come out about the plot, this may heat up.

I was bagging some books from 1998-2002 the other night, and I came across Avengers #19, with a creepy red Ultron cover. It is actually part 1 of a storyline called "Age of Ultron." It centers around Black Panther, Wakanda and Ultron, although it does have extraneous characters like the synthezoid that is based on Bobbi Morse's brain waves. But as more details come out about the plot, this may heat up.

I love this run from Busiek/Perez. The story line is "Ultron Unlimited" and not AofU.

I think that #19 cover would make for a great SS book (both creators and celebs.)

Back on topic!

This was one of my favorite Avengers stories from the second series.

I actually think 22 has the better cover. It was also called Ultron Unlimited, not age of Ultron, if im not mistaken.

I do think you are right with Black Panther being a large part of this 4 issue Ultron Story, they could be taking much of the movie ideas from this arc, which could mean heat.

729169.jpg

871637.jpg

Read it. It's a great 4 issue arc, from 19-22.

I don't know about you guys, but I like the Vapid and bimboesque Wonder Woman from Finch in #36... hot

I think that's a pretty crude way to describe the art. I genuinely think its much better then the artist prior. She drawn softer I'd say, but she was still every bit a warrior in battle. I'm actually quite tempted to subscribe to it now.